Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-03-2010, 07:05 AM

1 posts, read 896 times

Advertisements

maybe someday all of you will find yourself in their situation and then i wonder how you will feel about all the freebies. yes there are many that never worked and never plan to work but there are alot of people who have lost their jobs and this is a big help to us. try being a little more compassionate and understanding.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-03-2010, 07:15 AM

41,478 posts, read 59,608,382 times
FWIW - Some of the cell phones will be used to help the recipients to find work.

Why is it immoral, wicked and wrong for a poor person to not work but admirable for an annuity owner to also not work?

Old 11-03-2010, 08:03 AM

2,564 posts, read 1,590,191 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GiantRutgersfan View Post

Completely ridiculous. Cell phone is a luxury item and these welfare losers get a free cell phone? This has got to stop!
If people qualify for these things, they are dirt poor WITH children, unemployed, or disabled. How are these people supposed to communicate with the outside world for : JOB INTERVIEW CALLS, and EMERGENCIES

But I bet you want to rollback Bush tax cuts permanently for the rich

Old 02-05-2011, 08:45 AM

1 posts, read 805 times
Think that u all need to grow up one day will come when u cant afford anything and when theres no way to get one and u need to get a hold of ur child or ur spouse to pick the kids up or if theres an emergency its not like welfare people dont work most of them do but arent getting much and tanf people have to work so its not like there taking advantage of it and there is people out there that do and there also on welfare when they shouldnt be and thats hurting the others that do need it so all grow up just bc life isnt going ur way dont go on by picking at others get over it. PLEASE

Old 02-05-2011, 08:57 AM

9,879 posts, read 7,993,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by idahogie View Post
Keep going, righties. Prove to everyone what cold-hearted bastards you are.

A cell phone is often the only way that a poor or homeless person can get a job. How do you leave a phone number for an employer when you live in your car, or at a shelter? And how many minutes do they get? It's probably minimal, I'd bet.

Seriously, what's wrong with you people?
You know the best way to get a job, is to go there in
person every day, until they hire you. If after two weeks
that doesn't happen - move on to the next prospect.
Waiting for the phone to ring is probably the least effective
way to get a job.

And if your poor or homeless, explain this in your
job interview - you'd be surprised how impressed
an employer will be with your honesty.

Old 02-05-2011, 01:10 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,464,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by aspiesmom View Post
If people qualify for these things, they are dirt poor WITH children, unemployed, or disabled. How are these people supposed to communicate with the outside world for : JOB INTERVIEW CALLS, and EMERGENCIES

But I bet you want to rollback Bush tax cuts permanently for the rich

But those "poor" rich folks need their tax breaks so they can afford gold toilets; that way the rest of the population can benefit from "trickle-down" economics!. And to the OP......You are aware that many food stamp recipients are elderly Americans who worked hard all their lives and now need a little help to make ends meet.......

Don't condem a whole group of people because of the actions of a few and lay off judging folks whose life circumstances you are not aware of.......it comes across as aloof and sanctimoniuos!.

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 02-05-2011 at 01:27 PM..

Old 02-05-2011, 01:43 PM

161 posts, read 141,209 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
You know the best way to get a job, is to go there in
person every day, until they hire you. If after two weeks
that doesn't happen - move on to the next prospect.
Waiting for the phone to ring is probably the least effective
way to get a job.

And if your poor or homeless, explain this in your
job interview - you'd be surprised how impressed
an employer will be with your honesty.
I don't know what kind of jobs you've interviewed for, but if I did that at my job interviews, I'd probably get beaten by security first and probably not hired by the company. You're trying to impress and get a job, not returned an item to Sears that they refuse to take back.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:36 PM

2,713 posts, read 3,014,586 times
I personally don't consider a cell phone "luxury item" but whatever.

Whatever helps the poor.

Old 02-05-2011, 05:40 PM

9,644 posts, read 9,822,540 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
But those "poor" rich folks need their tax breaks so they can afford gold toilets; that way the rest of the population can benefit from "trickle-down" economics!. And to the OP......You are aware that many food stamp recipients are elderly Americans who worked hard all their lives and now need a little help to make ends meet.......

Don't condem a whole group of people because of the actions of a few and lay off judging folks whose life circumstances you are not aware of.......it comes across as aloof and sanctimoniuos!.
Who is paying for those toilets?

Trickle down works every single day.

Joe gets an idea to sell a product. So he starts a business. He then hires people to sell his product. That person then buys something say a house and that in turn gives Jimmy a job in building the house. Then Tom gets a job building the car that Susan buys because she got a job working for Joe.

Trickle down works every single day

Now what is almost impossible to work is trickle up

I have a friend every year at the end of the year that woman is facing eviction. Repos of a car. She was living with a friend guess you would call it. They came into 50k Within the very next day. They went out and bought a Harley motorcycle, an suv, a stereo system for the svu, one of the dvd players and an alarm system, no clothes, new touch screen cell phones, countless clothes etc etc. Within 2 mths they only had 10k. Later on in that year she got evicted from her apartment because she was unable to pay the rent. She is now living in a room for rent that she has trouble affording. Lost the Suv.Now they are both broke. She is back to getting food stamps and he is trying to work 2 jobs. She recently got her 6k tax return and went out today to buy another svu today. Even though every mth she is having to take out a payday advance just to pay her rent and not be evicted. She isnt out looking for an economy car. That is cheaper on gas and parts will be cheap to repair. That is a true story

You can give a person 100k each but till they learn to make responsible choices and better choices that led to them being poor they will always remain poor. Look at lottery winners and how many of them end up broke

Last edited by Jadex; 02-05-2011 at 05:49 PM..

Old 02-06-2011, 12:50 PM

9,879 posts, read 7,993,244 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LetMePost View Post
I don't know what kind of jobs you've interviewed for, but if I did that at my job interviews, I'd probably get beaten by security first and probably not hired by the company. You're trying to impress and get a job, not returned an item to Sears that they refuse to take back.
Remember, a black eye builds character

So being aloof is impressive

Then sit back and wait for the cell phone to ring -
cause chances are, it won't.

And my advice is not for most professional jobs, but the
entry level job fields.

I'm self employed now, but I do remember in the day,
persistence provided good results for me.
Having a cell phone was the least of it; in getting a job.

Of course, if having a cell phone is a prerequisite for
the job you are applying for, I can see that not having
one might create a problem - but even then, there can be creative ways around that too -

until you get that job and BUY YOUR OWN cell phone
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies