Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-02-2009, 05:13 PM

19,198 posts, read 31,382,244 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually, since Bush does not write the budgets, this would be more of a Democratic Congress program, just like the rest of them..
Bush no longer writes the budgets, but he wrote all of them from FY2002 through FY2009. In any case, the FCC first created the LifeLine program in 1984, but there were major expansions of it following the communications debacles of 9/11 and Hurricane Katrina.

Quote:
Lets get real for a second, these programs are being used primarily by non homeless individuals. In fact, if your homeless you are NOT using one of these phones because you need an address to receive the phone delivered to.
You're apparently unaware of the fact that most homeless people do have an established mailing address...one that USPS will deliver to.

Quote:
People have been donating phones for years to those who are need 911 service for the purpose of self protection, domestic abuse is just one example. Those programs took place without taxpayers assistance and had NO taxpayers costs involved. Now lets discuss logistical analysis of charity vs taxpayers assistance, and then tell me where homeless people are having their phones delivered at.
Yes, donating old cellphones generates a tax deduction. More welfare for rich people who don't need it. As for logistics, I don't see any private program that has produced penetration that would come anywhere close to what TracFone is accomplishing with minimal federal support. When you want it done right, get the government involved.

Quote:
And where do you think homeless people will plug their cell phones in? That imaginary electricl service they have at their imaginary home?
Perhaps at least food stamp recipients would be able to charge their free phones in all those upscale SUV's that they seem to own. Actually, even an old clunker would do. And electrical access is made freely available to the general public in restrooms at airports, bus and train stations, and many other locations. Then there are all those shelters, clinics, soup kitchens and the like that exist to provide direct support to the homeless community. I don't really think you're putting very much imagination into this problem.

Quote:
Marginal costs are tiny when compared to the total revenue generated by a long term contract. Marginal costs become not so tiny when there is no revenue being generated. No different than ADT service, maybe we should be offering that service also to the poor and homeless
Marginal costs are tiny period, and per the earlier, multi-tiered price structures are commonplace. Microsoft for instance regularly makes major league business software available to small business at pennies on the dollar compared to what they charge established corporations. That's capitalism. I though you liked that stuff.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-02-2009, 05:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thefinalsay View Post
thomas jefferson the democrat. now I've heard it all.
Nah, if you hadn't heard that, I'm sure there's lots more history you haven't heard of either.

Quote:
I said that mayberry was based on mt. airy, I didn't say it was mt. airy.
So we're back to Mayberry being a fictional place, then? I think that's what I said to start out with.

Quote:
we have several criminals in this country, but every single illegal alien is a criminal. what part of illegal are you not understanding?
When was the last trip of five miles or more when you observed the posted speed limits the entire way? What part of illegal are YOU not understanding? You think it was okay to recklessly endanger the rest of the population just because there wasn't a radar unit out there to catch you at it? Despicable! Look up that damage that speeders to to society every year. Compare that social cost to any social benefits you can think of. After we've gotten rid of the Republicans, it's speeders we should deport next. Bunch of common criminals, and YOU'RE one of them!

Quote:
when a citizen commits social security fraud, we punish them. when a criminal alien does it, we reward them. good system right?
First, you might want to look up what portion of the accumulated Social Security surplus was put there by the payroll taxes of undocumented workers who currently stand to collect not a penny back on those contributions.

Quote:
thank you for clearing up the food stamp issue. now google taxable income. did I spell it ok for you that time?
Yes, it's spelled correctly that time, but I'm otherwise quite familiar with it already. It's AGI less allowable deductions and exemptions net of possible allowances for being old, blind, or having provided housing to a displaced Midwestern person. Unless of course you have to file the AMT. Line 29 on your 6251 can actually look very different from Line 43 on your 1040.

Quote:
I also got a suggestion for you. try living a day in the real world. go look at the face of poverty, and the reasons behind it.
I've already lived quite a lot of days in the real world. None of which you know anything about. But feel free to imagine whatever you like. That's a necessary skill among right-wingers, so plenty of practice is called for...

Old 05-02-2009, 05:48 PM

50,064 posts, read 46,618,493 times
Cool, Illegals won't have to use pay phones now so long as they have an anchor kid. Righteous.

Old 05-02-2009, 05:52 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
4,196 posts, read 5,826,962 times
"The government that governs least, governs best."

sounds like the words of the father of the democrat party. brilliant.

Quote:
Originally Posted by saganista View Post
Nah, if you hadn't heard that, I'm sure there's lots more history you haven't heard of either.

So we're back to Mayberry being a fictional place, then? I think that's what I said to start out with.

When was the last trip of five miles or more when you observed the posted speed limits the entire way? What part of illegal are YOU not understanding? You think it was okay to recklessly endanger the rest of the population just because there wasn't a radar unit out there to catch you at it? Despicable! Look up that damage that speeders to to society every year. Compare that social cost to any social benefits you can think of. After we've gotten rid of the Republicans, it's speeders we should deport next. Bunch of common criminals, and YOU'RE one of them!

First, you might want to look up what portion of the accumulated Social Security surplus was put there by the payroll taxes of undocumented workers who currently stand to collect not a penny back on those contributions.

Yes, it's spelled correctly that time, but I'm otherwise quite familiar with it already. It's AGI less allowable deductions and exemptions net of possible allowances for being old, blind, or having provided housing to a displaced Midwestern person. Unless of course you have to file the AMT. Line 29 on your 6251 can actually look very different from Line 43 on your 1040.

I've already lived quite a lot of days in the real world. None of which you know anything about. But feel free to imagine whatever you like. That's a necessary skill among right-wingers, so plenty of practice is called for...

Old 05-02-2009, 06:00 PM

2,557 posts, read 5,840,342 times
Didn't Jesus say the poor would always be with us? So why do the liberals want to keep giving them everything? It not going to change them. It is just going to put all of us taxpayers in the poor house with them!

Old 05-02-2009, 06:03 PM

Location: I currently exist only in a state of mind. one too complex for geographic location.
if you divided up all the money in the US equally, within 5 years, the same people who were poor, would again be poor. this is why poor people who win the lottery often go bankrupt.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okiegirlfriend View Post
Didn't Jesus say the poor would always be with us? So why do the liberals want to keep giving them everything? It not going to change them. It is just going to put all of us taxpayers in the poor house with them!

Old 05-02-2009, 06:10 PM

Quote:
"The government that governs least, governs best."

sounds like the words of the father of the democrat party. brilliant.
I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.
-- Thos. Jefferson

Sound like the words of a Republican?

Old 05-02-2009, 06:19 PM

jefferson was the father of conservatism. if he was anything, he was the father of the libertarian party.

Quote:
I hope we shall crush in its birth the aristocracy of our monied corporations which dare already to challenge our government to a trial by strength, and bid defiance to the laws of our country.
-- Thos. Jefferson

Sound like the words of a Republican?

Old 05-02-2009, 06:36 PM

Oh, the Libertarian Party, is it? That's the one that all these Bush voters and defenders are now claiming to have been long-time members of in hopes of not having to own up to having been a part of the collosal failures of the past eight years. They were kind of hanging on for a while when it was principally the Iraq catastrophe they had to contemplate. They could always say, "Well, certainly there's been some mismanagement, but it's really too soon to tell. We'll have to wait fifty years to see if invasion was the right choice or not." But then came the collapse of the global economic structure. Uh-oh! No available excusification for that, so off they go! Republicans, no more! We're all Libertarians now, and come to think of it, we always have been. Terrible shame how the Republican Party was taken over by all those people who weren't real conservatives. So glad that I was no part of that.

I'm so sure that Jefferson would have been a willing champion for THAT sort...

Old 05-02-2009, 06:42 PM

no, it's just the libertarian party. the rest of your strange diatribe was not needed. I am not a member of any party, and I never voted for bush.

Quote:
Oh, the Libertarian Party, is it? That's the one that all these Bush voters and defenders are now claiming to have been long-time members of in hopes of not having to own up to having been a part of the collosal failures of the past eight years. They were kind of hanging on for a while when it was principally the Iraq catastrophe they had to contemplate. They could always say, "Well, certainly there's been some mismanagement, but it's really too soon to tell. We'll have to wait fifty years to see if invasion was the right choice or not." But then came the collapse of the global economic structure. Uh-oh! No available excusification for that, so off they go! Republicans, no more! We're all Libertarians now, and come to think of it, we always have been. Terrible shame how the Republican Party was taken over by all those people who weren't real conservatives. So glad that I was no part of that. I'm so sure that Jefferson would have been a willing champion for THAT sort...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies