Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 07:19 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,972 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
But yet he chooses to give the Panthers a pass,
even after the case was won. Why?
Here's why:

In order for voter intimidation to have taken place A VOTER HAS TO BE INTIMIDATED AND FILE A COMPLAINT.

That never happened in this case. After all the polling place in a predominately Black American neighborhood.

Meet the Conservative U.S. Commission on Civil Rights

Quote:
Melendez: "[F]ar too much of our time has been consumed on this seemingly unnecessary investigation." During an April 23 commission hearing, commissioner Arlan Melendez said that "far too much of our time has been consumed on this seemingly unnecessary investigation" and that "no citizen has even alleged that he or she was intimidated from voting at the Fairmount Avenue Polling Station in 2008." Melendez also said:

This absence of voter intimidation was clear to the Justice Department last spring, which is why they took the course of action that they did.

This absence of voter intimidation was clear to the members of this Commission as well, or at least it should've been. Our investigation has been going on now for the better part of a year. We have wasted a good deal of our staff's time, and the taxpayers' money.

In addition to that, we have also consumed a considerable amount of the Justice Department's resources, forcing them to devote attention to a case that they had long ago concluded was meritless.
Quote:
Thernstrom: Inquiry has not "served the interests of the Commission as being a bipartisan watchdog." Abigail Thernstrom, a Republican who serves as co-chairwoman of the Civil Rights Commission and is an adjunct scholar at the American Enterprise Institute, wrote a July 6 National Review Online blog post criticizing the "overheated rhetoric filled with insinuations and unsubstantiated charges" surrounding the case. Thernstrom wrote, "Forget about the New Black Panther Party case; it is very small potatoes." During an April 23 hearing, Thernstrom also said, "I do not think that this inquiry has served the interests of the Commission as being a bipartisan watchdog for important civil rights violations, and I do not believe it has served well the party to which I belong."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 07:23 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,261,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Joshua View Post
Do you think that if this had been two white men in hoods standing with baseball bats in front of a southern polling place that Holder would be being asked this question right now?
Do you think the two white dudes would be walking the streets free?
Not today but in the 50s and 60s, probably yes. Many laws have been passed since then to get the rights for blacks that weren't there back then.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Really? The case was dropped after it was won.
Left leaners don't see it that way. The case was one that would have been won but was never tried. It was never won just would have been.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:32 PM

I keep wondering why nobody has said anything about my posted link from The Blaze. I really think I know why but here it is again in case someone here missed it.

Beck Rethinks His Take on Holder‘s ’My People’ Comment | The Blaze

Old 03-03-2011, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Left leaners don't see it that way. The case was one that would have been won but was never tried. It was never won just would have been.
This is part of a piece that was written by Abigail Thernstrom,the vice-chair of the U.S. Commission on Civil Rights, in the National Review

Yes, the Black Panther Case Is Small Potatoes

Quote:
In contrast, the New Black Panther Party (NBPP) incident — involving two black racists who showed up at a polling place in a largely black precinct in Philadelphia — has become the focus of a conservative media firestorm, driven in part by accusations of voter intimidation of the kind that were once ubiquitous in the Jim Crow South. DOJ’s decision to drop the case may have been wrong, I went on to say in my earlier piece. But so far we have only very weak evidence on the matter. There is certainly no direct or hard evidence of either an effective voter-suppression effort or Justice Department indifference to such cases. This was an isolated incident in 2008 that, while involving reprehensible behavior, does not deserve the level of attention it has received when there are much more important questions involving voting-rights enforcement on which to focus. I did not write to defend the Panthers or DOJ, but rather to plead for some perspective on the matter.
Quote:
As the Commission’s work on the matter proceeded, my doubts only grew. I concluded that the claim that the Panthers “were caught on video engaging in voter suppression” is simply wrong. The only available video records an encounter between two Panthers and a young white man who was videotaping the incident. Questioning the two Panthers, he says, “I think you might be a little bit intimidating that you have a stick in your hand. . . . That’s a weapon.” A fair question for him to raise — but hardly conclusive evidence of actual or attempted intimidation.

As I said in my NRO piece, conservative commentators habitually describe the Panthers as wearing “jackboots” and being “armed.” It strikes me as a somewhat overwrought characterization; while a stick or club may be a weapon, I think the word “armed” usually connotes images of guns or knives in most peoples’ minds, and it seems gratuitous to object to the Panthers’ choice of footwear. The courts, as far as I know, have not established standards for prosecution of intimidating attire, and the libertarian in me questions why boots (not unlike ones my husband owns) are relevant to the question of voter intimidation.

Quote:
McCarthy, though, is surely wrong in asserting that the standards are “quite easy to meet.” The Voting Rights Act has governed the conduct of the last eleven presidential elections, 22 congressional elections, and literally thousands of state and local elections. And yet there have been only three successful prosecutions of voter intimidation under Section 11 (b). Is it possible that nothing conceivably intimidating to prospective voters ever occurred in our vast country over such a long span of time? No. Clearly, it is not “quite easy” to prove voter intimidation, or else there surely would be a very different track record to examine.

DOJ’s assistant attorney general for civil rights, Thomas Perez, testified before the Commission that DOJ was concerned that it could not meet the standard of proof required for these cases. That is a debatable proposition — but that was exactly Perez’s point: This is a judgment call that falls within DOJ’s discretion, not per se evidence of a policy of racial double standards.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:25 AM

14,482 posts, read 11,278,588 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
Not today but in the 50s and 60s, probably yes. Many laws have been passed since then to get the rights for blacks that weren't there back then.
Thank you for the history lesson.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:36 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
If having men standing in front of a voting station is 'small potatoes',then we don't really need a US commission on Civil Rights or be concerned at all...

Funny that requiring a form of ID is considered by some to be disenfranchising voters....

Old 03-04-2011, 08:00 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
If having men standing in front of a voting station is 'small potatoes',then we don't really need a US commission on Civil Rights or be concerned at all...

Funny that requiring a form of ID is considered by some to be disenfranchising voters....
This entire thread is based on a false premise.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
This entire thread is based on a false premise.
Most bigotry is!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies