Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:10 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times

Advertisements

I'd love to have them ban perfumes and fragrance products next.

Fragrances
Chemicals found In Fragrance

They're filled with poisons, carcinogens, neurotoxins and other noxious chemicals.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 05:22 AM

628 posts, read 1,316,119 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
I'd love to have them ban perfumes and fragrance products next.

Fragrances
Chemicals found In Fragrance

They're filled with poisons, carcinogens, neurotoxins and other noxious chemicals.
Most hospitals already have policy rules against perfume and colognes but it is rarely enforced unless someone complains. Usually the offender receives a verbal warning.....however; the wearing of perfume is not a condition of employment in hospitals.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:50 AM

11,486 posts, read 15,310,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Annie53 View Post
What a ridiculous statement!

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/09/27/he...wash.html?_r=1

^^^^THIS is what rational people worry about!

Worry about people handling food after handling a cigarette?

I worry about people who have just used the restroom, have just blown/picked their nose or just scratched their privates........but that's just me.

It is all the time, nasty people handling food.

Smoking is a nasty habit, if they have a cold or flu etc they easily can pass it onto you handling your food.

I also agree with you about the nasty people who do not even wash their hands after going to the restroom.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:56 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
Yes it is - so what. Discrimination is fine, natural ad necessary. It is bad only when it is along certain, non-relevant characteristics like race, color, creed, sex etc., but you had to know that already.
Very slippery slope. Smokers today..who will be tomorrow ?

Old 03-02-2011, 06:19 AM

4,585 posts, read 12,366,662 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
Smokers need not apply at hospital network starting Tuesday | KING5.com | Seattle News, Breaking News, Weather

As of Tuesday, applicants who have been offered jobs, will be tested for nicotine use.

Nicotine will be added to the list of banned subtances detectable in urine tests, like marijuana and cocaine.

"We cannot in good conscience simultaneously be a champion for healthy communities and continue to hire people who smoke and use tobacco products," said Franciscan Chief Operating Officer Cliff Robertson, MD.

Interesting.
Well it's not the only hospital that has this policy
Gwinnett Medical Center Tobacco-Free Campus Policy | GMC

Oh and I KNOW there are Doctors who still smoke but guess what...they aren't tested.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Hmmm, was just thinking. What if you live with smoker? Could you test positive for that?
Guess they'll have to get a divorce because the test would show up positive.

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevemorse View Post
well I am on the patch so what about us who use support and have quit but using gum and patches?? Were screwed too??
Yup screwed, I'm using the e-cigarette to try to quit so I'm screwed too. I'm also a bit plumb and 60 years old...so getting a job is next to impossible for me.

I get they can't smoke while working or on breaks or on company property, but invading someone's privacy and telling them what they can't do on their time off is wrong. Next they'll be telling people they can't eat at certain restaurants, ride motorcycles, can't drink and a plethera of other no no's.

Decades ago, hospitals controled the medical training for nurses and doctors and other medical personnel and they lived in dorms next to the hospitals and they controlled the students behaviors 24/7 no matter if they were on or off duty and I'm seeing a return to this and I think it's a really bad idea.

Dictating what someone can and can't do on their time off even if it's legal (smoking, drinking, riding motorcycles etc.) is wrong and who know's what's next on the list.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:36 AM

15,896 posts, read 11,991,168 times
What a crock of s****! Which group is going to be targeted next? Here is a thought; make cigarettes illegal! Oh wait, that won't happen because the government is in bed with the tobacco companies!

Old 03-02-2011, 07:01 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,530,699 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Good. Next the hospital should get rid of any employees with a BMI above 28.
Obese people are not placing other people around them at risk. See the difference?

Old 03-02-2011, 07:04 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Good. Next the hospital should get rid of any employees with a BMI above 28.

Baawaahaa, no doubt! I've seen both doctors and nurses that are extremely obese. Really, people should be careful of what the ask for because a time will come when the powers that be come for you.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:07 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,828 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Obese people are not placing other people around them at risk. See the difference?
Oh puleesse, here we go again. 1) I don't know any hospitals that even allow smoking to occur on the property, 2) have you breathed the air in a city of late? Tail pipe exhaust does more damage to your lungs than does second hand cigarette smoke, 3) are you for or against the EPA clean air regulations? Yeah, that's what I thought. People will fight for a company to be able to release toxic air emissions, but complain about second hand cigarette smoke.

Seriously, who's the brains behind this operation? Fire him, because I think he must have sucked in too much tail pipe exhaust.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:10 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Isn't that discrimination ?
Is it discrimination that I am not allowed to wear what I want to work (i.e., have to follow a dress code)?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies