Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 01:07 AM

4,023 posts, read 7,372,847 times

Advertisements

Manufacturing in the U.S. grew in February at the fastest pace in almost seven years, driven by gains in orders, employment and exports that signal factories will continue to propel the expansion.
The Institute for Supply Management’s factory index increased to 61.4, exceeding the median forecast of economists surveyed by Bloomberg News and the highest level since May 2004, the Tempe, Arizona-based group said today. Readings greater than 50 signal growth. Compared with similar measures released today in Europe and Asia, the data put the U.S. at the forefront of the global manufacturing rebound.

U.S. Manufacturing Grows at Fastest Pace in Seven Years, Leading Recovery - Bloomberg

Great news
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 01:14 AM

1,011 posts, read 1,016,776 times
What exactly is it we are "manufacturing"? The article is short of specifics. For example the actual manufacturing facilities for the US companies are actually situated in other countries. Are they counted for or against? I just don't see much manufacturing first hand, just a lot of middle man service and brokers for foreign manufacturing.

For a big example: over 3 billion of taxdollars went to China to produce a piece of the Bay Bridge in Shanghai for California that is now being welded together (and the Chinese couldn't even get it right the first time). Nice 'manufacturing'!

Old 03-02-2011, 01:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellyouknow View Post
What exactly is it we are "manufacturing"? The article is short of specifics. For example the actual manufacturing facilities for the US companies are actually situated in other countries. Are they counted for or against? I just don't see much manufacturing first hand, just a lot of middle man service and brokers for foreign manufacturing.

For a big example: over 3 billion of taxdollars went to China to produce a piece of the Bay Bridge in Shanghai for California that is now being welded together (and the Chinese couldn't even get it right the first time). Nice 'manufacturing'!
Oh please shut up and dance with me
pessimism is bad for your health

Old 03-02-2011, 01:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wonderful Jellal View Post
Oh please shut up and dance with me
pessimism is bad for your health
Just telling it like it is.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:58 AM

Quote:
Just telling it like it is.
No, you're talking about China, this article is about manufacturing in the US.You missed the point

Old 03-02-2011, 02:01 AM

Quote:
No, you're talking about China, this article is about manufacturing in the US.You missed the point
I was talking about manufacturing in the US. We can't even manufacture a bit of a bridge.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:04 AM

Quote:
The article gives no details on what exactly the US manufactures. If you know more list it.

As I've said before I know first hand the 'managers' and 'brokers' are in the US, the actual manufacturing happens elsewhere.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:00 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,481,831 times
Quote:

I also read the article and had the same questions.
What are they making and is it staying in the US or being shipped out ?
US consumers are not spending so you have to wonder where is the demand coming from.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:04 AM

I think it's all thouse strike navy groups, drones, and other military crap we don't really need we are manufacturing

Old 03-02-2011, 06:26 AM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
Manufacturing in the U.S. grew in February at the fastest pace in almost seven years, driven by gains in orders, employment and exports that signal factories will continue to propel the expansion.
The Institute for Supply Management’s factory index increased to 61.4, exceeding the median forecast of economists surveyed by Bloomberg News and the highest level since May 2004, the Tempe, Arizona-based group said today. Readings greater than 50 signal growth. Compared with similar measures released today in Europe and Asia, the data put the U.S. at the forefront of the global manufacturing rebound.

U.S. Manufacturing Grows at Fastest Pace in Seven Years, Leading Recovery - Bloomberg

Great news

Yeah, it's called Carternomics (stagflation).

The weak dollar boosts exports, but it comes at a tremendous price in terms of commodity costs and eventual inflation and stagnant growth.

U.S. pursuing dollar weakening policy: Greenspan | Reuters

U.S. core inflation fastest in more than a year .: Economic Crisis in US
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies