Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 04:05 PM

88,989 posts, read 44,804,275 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I think these tax payers will have something to say in January 2012.
Oh, I doubt that. Even a current lib organization poll of WI voters has only 1/3 of the respondents willing to recall Walker. When Walker's cost savings accrue over the rest of the year, that low percentage will dwindle even further.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 04:08 PM

9,879 posts, read 8,017,267 times
Quote:
I asked not for your lame opinion but to see what happens in a few months from now when these tax payers will get their chance (and in Ohio as well, where a referendum is expected).
I will be curious too. I know a lot of folks aren't familiar
with how much tax dollars it takes to fund these pensions by the States an/or how these collectively bargaining contracts
are not taxpayer friendly

If all the facts get out are there - I don't know if there
will be a mandate for removal of these governors. More likely,
an applause

Old 03-03-2011, 04:32 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,362,594 times
Quote:
Huh? Saying your point is about something that doesn't matter doesn't mean I'm pointing at your post as something that doesn't matter. In fact, I WOULD NOT respond to it if I saw it as such.

You appear to have a lot of trust in politicians managing money. Or, is that something that changes every now and then? The point, however, is not even that, but the fact that they are money managers and tax payers aren't included in every decision they make, on how the money is allocated. Is this not something you expect in a republic?

Likewise, and as you say, corporate shareholders elect the board (the representatives) who manage the money. Pretty much like things work in a republic.
Oh, sorry, my mistake - when you said "It doesn't matter what you think", I thought you were saying that it didn't matter what I thought.

Where did I say I trusted politicians to manage money? I vote for ones who I hope will waste the least amount. Usually they aren't the ones who win. When my school board candidate loses, and the winner decides to shower more riches on the teachers, I have to accept that. But when my guy wins, and decides not to shower more riches on the teachers, but an unelected arbitrator tells us we have to do it anyway, I don't have to accept that. My recourse is to vote for a guy like Kasich who wants to keep the final decision in the hands of the people who were actually elected to make the decisions. Why does that seem so unreasonable?

Old 03-03-2011, 04:43 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by C.C View Post
Why on earth do the public unions "deserve" collective bargaining rights when the people paying their salaries don't?

If you don't like your public sector deal, you're more than welcome to try your luck surviving in the private sector like the rest of us. Maybe your departure will grind government to a halt - that's a chance I'm willing to take...
There is nothing stopping people in private industry from organizing and collective bargaining. If more people organized then maybe middle class wages wouldn't have stagnated for the past 30 years while executive level pay and corporate profits have soared. One day the American people will realize that "Trickle Down Economics" is nothing more than corporate interest and the super-wealthy pissing on the middle class and telling them it's raining.

Here's something for you to think about:

There is a table in a room. On that table there are 12 cookies. Sitting at the table are a C.E.O, a Tea Party member and a union member. The C.E.O takes 11 of the cookies and tells the Tea Party member "The union guy has got your cookie".

The really said part is you and other that think like you are actually falling for this sh*****************t.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:51 PM

10,854 posts, read 9,299,628 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Apparently, that's what JazzyTallGuy and the other libs want, to eliminate local cities and towns under the crushing weight of taxes to pay for the public employee unions' greedy demands.

Are you aware the State of Ohio ELIMINATED CORPORATE INCOME TAXES?

Ohio's Corporate Income Tax System

Quote:
Ohio's Corporate Income Tax System
A gross receipts-style tax, the Commercial Activity Tax (CAT) was implemented in 2005. It was phased in through 2010, while the Corporate Franchise Tax (Ohio's corporate income tax) was phased out. Starting April 1, 2009 the CAT rate is .26%. For tax year 2009 companies owe 20% of Corporate Franchise Tax liability. In 2008, state-level corporate tax collections (excluding local taxes) were $65, which ranked 45th highest nationally.
So your telling me you're O.K. with the State of Ohio elmimaiting corporate income taxes. Then annoucing they have a budget defiict then BALANCING IT ON THE BACK OF PUBLIC EMPLOYEES.

Here's something for you to think about:

There is a table in a room. On that table there are 12 cookies. Sitting at the table are a C.E.O, a Tea Party member and a union member. The C.E.O takes 11 of the cookies and tells the Tea Party member "The union guy has got your cookie".

And YOU are actually falling for this sh*********t!

Old 03-03-2011, 06:06 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,611,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The Republican Party had major success in the 2010 election running on the message "Cut Government Spending".

I really have no problem with that.

But that message did NOT include "Take Away The Right To Collectively Bargain".

Because that message was NEVER clearly articulated GOP candidates effectively snookered many voters in Ohio. That will come back to haunt them on 2012.

In general folks in the Midwest don't like to be snookered and they don't like to be pushed around especially by corporate interest. The Republican Party will face the consequences for this in 2012.

Treat the symptom and pour a ton of money and resources into the Symptom... The Tea Party Conservatives are about a cure for the Cancer.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:15 PM

[quote=Casper in Dallas;18098228]
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Didn't you yell and scream that before Nov. 2nd, 2010?Nope I didn't, thought the Repubs would win the House and not the Senate, I was correct in my prediction. Show me where I stated differently or stop assuming.

You don't like it, the Tea Baggers put up a better deal for the majority to approve. Now they see what they got as part of the Deal. I predict a huge backlash come 2012.

You can't accept it. Delusional denial.I accept it, it is the Teabagger way of doing things, claim they have a mandate from a platform they never ran on. Like claiming that the People wanted Healthcare repealed, a LIE, the People wanted it reformed, now THAT is Denial. The GOP will pay for their stupidity, count on it.
Casper

Oh, I see your problem now...

You plumb forgot about all the State and local elections.

Your going to sit here and actually say that the Tea party candidates that got elected, did'nt have a firm campaign stance on repealing the bogus Healthcare deal. OK!!!!! If that is not another delusional denial, I got some beach front property in Arizona to sell you cheap.

Old 03-03-2011, 11:24 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,665,061 times
The hatred from right-wingers is amazing. Are they jealous, or just bitter people?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The hatred from right-wingers is amazing. Are they jealous, or just bitter people?

Jealous?

They took the keys away. What is there to be jealous of?
Bitter? Conservatives are not freaking out any longer.
It was a rather historical mid-term election
Couldn't have timed it better... You want to talk jealousy... Redistricting!

Old 03-04-2011, 06:11 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,146,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
You do realize we're talking about property taxes, right? Property taxes fund local governments and school districts. Everyone pays property taxes in direct proportion to the value of their property. If they don't/can't pay, they lose that property.

As far as income taxes? You don't even want to go there because the wealthiest Americans are paying a grossly disproportionate amount, much more than their percentage of the income would ordinarily indicate (i.e. they earn 20% of the income but pay 38.02% of the income tax revenue - and people wonder why there are no jobs. We're overtaxing those who provide the jobs, so instead of hiring more people, they pay their oversized income tax bill).

...only a very small percentage of taxpayers, whose demands are in direct conflict with the vast majority.
Ha! You actually think the Uber -Wealth are so POOR they can't reinvest their money in creating jobs(like Bush SAID they would but they didn't)?????
My, my, you DON'T comprehend just how much money these people have, do you?! If their tax "burden" is so high WHY ARE THEY STILL RICH?
Your sympathy for them is a sign of....well, nevermind...

Again: the Facts, you missed some....:

A. NO one is being "crushed" by taxes or they wouldn't be so eager to fund wars and give the wealthiest Americans and corporations huge tax breaks.

B. Teachers , union members are taxpayers.

C. IF you truly think the tax burden is too much(it's at a historical LOW) then why do you think lowering taxpayer's wages will help with lowering taxes??

Lousy wages crush more people(the Republican plan) than taxes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies