Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:22 AM

915 posts, read 1,191,263 times

Advertisements

Why is there a need for unions and collective bargaining in government employment? I can see the need for them in countering the profit-driven interest of corporations, but democratic government has different motives and stakeholder interests.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 09:30 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,201 times

Troll post!!!

So you are asking why middle class workers would like to remain middle class workers instead of becoming the working poor?...really??

Old 03-02-2011, 09:30 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,208,953 times
I think it makes sense for employees who actually do the work to have some input in the worksite. That's what unions do when they bargain for non-monetary items like working conditions and a grievance procedure. When we had the support Wisconsin rally here in my area, there were a number of country administrators who spoke about how the union had been really helpful (when they were dealing with budget issues) in finding places to eliminate waste, and identifying problems they could resolve that made local government work better. That happens at bargaining, and through labor management committees. The administrators went on to say that the unions weren't always happy, and that they didn't get what they wanted lots of the time (that's why it's called bargaining) but that local government was stronger for having lots of different ideas presented at the bargaining table.

One other point--when private businesses are unionized, the owner is dealing with his own money--he has a strong financial incentive to make sure his employees are happy and productive, or he loses them and all the training hours that went into that employee. In government, the employers are playing with someone else's money--if things go badly, they're really not out anything personally. My husband worked in state government, and his comment is that there are as many mini-dictators there as anywhere else (and he's an attorney who sat on the bargaining team for the state under a republican governor). Union member's jobs depend on government being run efficiently and money to employ them--they have skin in the game. The other part you forget--they're tax payers too.

People who whine about unions just don't want to deal with the hassle of justifying what they want to do with the public's money. Collective bargaining MAKES them do that--show why some decisions are the best for government and the voters, vs. just doing whatever they feel like. Why are some of you so afraid of that?

Last edited by mb1547; 03-02-2011 at 09:44 AM..

Old 03-02-2011, 09:36 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,285,615 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post

Troll post!!!

So you are asking why middle class workers would like to remain middle class workers instead of becoming the working poor?...really??
No he isn't he said GOVERNMENT workers. That means they are in a monopoly area living off of tax dollars.
Like in WIS where over 1-10 is a state government employee which I find OUTRAGEOUS. Why not 1-100?

Government unions spend hundreds of millions to certain politicians who in return award them billions back in sweetheart deals. You don't see that kind of BS in the real world. And the scariest thing is this is our tax dollars being thrown around like nothing and we are broke from it.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:37 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,531,935 times
Yes, to answer you question. Union members suffer from entitlement issues. Big time!

Old 03-02-2011, 11:11 AM

4,050 posts, read 3,961,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
No he isn't he said GOVERNMENT workers. That means they are in a monopoly area living off of tax dollars.
Like in WIS where over 1-10 is a state government employee which I find OUTRAGEOUS. Why not 1-100?

Government unions spend hundreds of millions to certain politicians who in return award them billions back in sweetheart deals. You don't see that kind of BS in the real world. And the scariest thing is this is our tax dollars being thrown around like nothing and we are broke from it.
Time to wake u from the matrix!!

Government workers don't use your tax dollars for anything!!!...that was silly to say on it's face.

Union workers use their salaries and hourly pay, if I as a consumer buy a product from a company that then uses that money to pay your salary I can go to your company and belly-ache that I think you are getting paid too much, simply because you make more than I.

Bargaining means just that, some give and some take, to suggest that there is some machivalian manipulations is crazy.

So the Republicans set it up where companies and industries can contribute untold millions to Republican cause and candidates, they don't have to disclose the contributions and the candidate is duly bought and paid for; but you have no problem with that right???

The bottom line is

They make more money than me!!!!!

Old 03-02-2011, 11:17 AM

14,100 posts, read 28,541,384 times
Wrong. Union dues are used for democratic party donations.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:34 AM

46,312 posts, read 27,124,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post

Your math does not add up....

300,000ish government workers....
5.5 million people in WI

Old 03-02-2011, 11:34 AM

14,361 posts, read 9,794,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by reconmark View Post
Time to wake u from the matrix!!

Government workers don't use your tax dollars for anything!!!...that was silly to say on it's face.

Union workers use their salaries and hourly pay, if I as a consumer buy a product from a company that then uses that money to pay your salary I can go to your company and belly-ache that I think you are getting paid too much, simply because you make more than I.

The bottom line is

They make more money than me!!!!!
"Government workers don't use your tax dollars for anything!!!"
Excuse me? They get paid with tax dollars.

The bottom line is they've bargained their way into deals that no private sector employee would ever dream of having. Tenure, first in last out, buying up to 5 years of work credit without actually working, 80% full pay and 100% healthcare with retirement in as little as 15 years, and on and on...

You can't equate public funds being squandered with private companies started by real investments in time and money by individuals. I don't blame union workers for wanting to hold on to their golden eggs, but to ignore the consequences for doing so is simply rediculous. The way these teachers have lied and cheated, the signs calling Walker Hitler, the nonsense of drum banging and calling WI Cairo shows how disconnected they are from the public who pay their salaries and the reality of popular opinion.

Privitize the schools, do what Rhode Island is doing and fire the worst performing teachers rather than keeping those with tenure. Let the Dems keep hiding from doing their job and Walker will lay off 1000 teachers- Boom $100M saved.

Old 03-02-2011, 01:15 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,452,394 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sailordave View Post
Wrong. Union dues are used for democratic party donations.
Well this statement is one i do agree with, but it is true too.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies