Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 12:15 PM

146 posts, read 399,339 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
No. This is why we need to throw out the first amendment and ban hate speech.
Get the hell out of my country you ****ing communist!

I hate Westboro church with a passion, but freedom of speech is guaranteed.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 12:20 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,992,148 times
Justice Samuel Alito was the lone dissenter and he should be ashamed. Fred Phelps' group (I refuse to call them a church because they really aren't a church) is most reprehensible but freedom of speech must be protected. That includes ignorant hate speech and tasteless picketing at funerals.

There are other ways to thwart hateful groups than to pass laws that limit everybody else's constitutional rights because just because a few bad apples ruins it for the rest of us.

Old 03-02-2011, 12:27 PM

20,329 posts, read 19,914,840 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Why are they protesting military funerals? Some have said it's just an opportunity to get an audience for their anti gay protest, but they hold signs saying dead soldiers are a good thing, etc, so they do seem to be targeting soldiers specifically. Why?
Because these are sick, twisted individuals.

Old 03-02-2011, 02:08 PM

3,493 posts, read 4,551,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Cults, like Westboro, hardly follow the rules of normal human behavior. Just like Jonestown and Waco, they wouldn't care, if anything it'd strengthen their resolve. At least thats my opinion, for what its worth.

These people are like roaches.
I do not see wrong with your opinion. From my standpoint I just feel we can take action and not be passive, take care.

Old 03-02-2011, 03:49 PM

6,104 posts, read 5,988,617 times
I don.t agree that anyone has a right to enter my home and use speech I find objectionable. I use that principle of English Common Law. To me a funeral is like that and the right to privacy trumps all. Now I wonder if the Court would find it political free speech if I decided to exercise my 2nd Amendment right to get my message across to the Westboro Baptists

Old 03-02-2011, 04:21 PM

37,176 posts, read 19,183,039 times
Their Right Of Free Speech has been rightly protected. I wouldn't take it away from them or anyone else for anything.

That said, if a tornado drops down out of the sky while they are protesting, sucks them up, and deposits them somewhere along the Marianas Trench, I'll try not to miss them so much...

Old 03-02-2011, 04:25 PM

26,680 posts, read 28,662,850 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
I don.t agree that anyone has a right to enter my home and use speech I find objectionable. I use that principle of English Common Law. To me a funeral is like that and the right to privacy trumps all.
If a funeral is in a public place, it's not private. People can stand across the street and protest if they want.

Quote:
Now I wonder if the Court would find it political free speech if I decided to exercise my 2nd Amendment right to get my message across to the Westboro Baptists
Go for it, tough guy.

Old 03-02-2011, 04:40 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwruckman View Post
I use that principle of English Common Law.
What principle would that be?

Quote:
To me a funeral is like that and the right to privacy trumps all.
Well how you feel has nothing to do with the law.

Quote:
Now I wonder if the Court would find it political free speech if I decided to exercise my 2nd Amendment right to get my message across to the Westboro Baptists
You are free to bear your arms to your heart's content. Baring your arms, however, will lead to a few severe restrictions of your other rights including the loss of your 2nd.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:28 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,309,059 times
God hates the Supreme Court and the Baptist gay bashers. He will use his wisdom to strike them down with his wrath until they are all dead. And I will be at their funerals, screaming at their relatives and mocking their downfall. Halle-effing-lujah!

Actually I think mocking the dead is an act of obscenity. If they are willing to tolerate this act of public obscenity, they should be willing to tolerate all other acts - such as public nudity, sexual acts, swearing on the air, etc. (after all it is freedom of expression!) What hypocrites. Mark my words, blood will run. If I lived close to that area I'd go and harass those worthless cretins day and night by making Satanic demonstrations outside their church, making it impossible for them to worship - while rubbing it in their faces that the Supreme Court says it is okay.

Old 03-02-2011, 05:44 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,506,282 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Does anyone know where their money comes from? I'd like to know how they can afford to do what they do.
The minister of Westboro is a bigwig in the Democratic Party.

Wouldn't surprise if he gets money from them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies