Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 05:48 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,795,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by OrlFlaUsa View Post
Supreme Court rules for anti-gay church over military funeral protests - CNN.com

The SCOTUS has ruled in favor 8 to 1 to support freedom of all speech, even the despicable kind that comes from Westboro Baptist. I actually agree with the Supreme Court but not the church if you follow my logic. Do you agree with the Court's decision?
I have the right to peacefully beat them with a 2 X 4 if they interrupted one of my family member's or friend's family member's funeral.

No, I don't.

But I would.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZGKx2pTBQc
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 06:03 PM

36,937 posts, read 18,915,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post

You are free to bear your arms to your heart's content. Baring your arms, however, will lead to a few severe restrictions of your other rights including the loss of your 2nd.
And they'll put it in your permanent record...

Old 03-02-2011, 06:38 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,585,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
I

think they got the law right, but at a grave yard I would still think yelling and bothering people are disturbing the peace.
If they are screaming at people burying their loved ones it should be arrestable IMO.
I'm saying that if the laws are not there in place for graveyards and services, maybe Congress should get cracking and start the process of getting one.

We are not allowed to yell fire in a movie theater, so we could IMO live with restrictions at graveyards or services.
Just my opinion. :-)

I take issue with this ruling.

Of course the target of the Phelps' wrath and hate are largely gays and lesbians and blue collar military families.

Blue collar folks don't have much power. Many men and women in the military come from blue collar backgrounds and they don't have much power and influence. Some men and women in the military do come from wealthy families but the numbers are substantially less.

I highly suspect that if the Phelps' hate rhetoric was directed towards the rich and powerful the Supreme Court's ruling would be just a bit different today. LIKE A LOT DIFFERENT!

I view the Phelps as big bullies.

Many school districts have adopted anti-bullying guidelines and laws. The intent of these guidelines and laws are to protect all school children from emotional distress at the hands of big bullies.

Many children have fathers in the military. And sadly many of their fathers have died in the Middle East. If they attend their father's funeral and they hear the Phelps' hate rhetoric, they're going to be emotionally impacted by the Phelps' bullying. It seems rather strange to me that the children are protected from hate rehortic at school but not at their father's funeral. Does that make sense? Not to me!

Many of our laws are irrational and lack common sense.

1. In some states selling alochol on Sunday is not allowed. Crazy!

2. And of course selling certain ILLEGAL, MIND-ALTERING substances is not allowed. Of course alcohol and cigarettes are not viewed in the same light as other MIND-ALTERING SUBSTANCES. Crazy!

3. I don't know how many sexual acts conducted in the privacy of bedrooms are still on the books. How could that be considered an illegal activity, when the Phelps travel around the country inflicting emotional pain that will follow many military families for years.

Old 03-02-2011, 06:40 PM

20,460 posts, read 26,255,415 times
Quote:
Supreme Court rules for anti-gay church over military funeral protests - CNN.com

The SCOTUS has ruled in favor 8 to 1 to support freedom of all speech, even the despicable kind that comes from Westboro Baptist. I actually agree with the Supreme Court but not the church if you follow my logic. Do you agree with the Court's decision?
Yeah, I agree with the court. The church members are disgusting but what they are doing is legal. I don't like it, but I have to agree with the court.

Ken

Old 03-02-2011, 07:08 PM

1,120 posts, read 2,585,510 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rural Kentuckian View Post
Get the hell out of my country you ****ing communist!

I hate Westboro church with a passion, but freedom of speech is guaranteed.

Is freedom of speech guaranteed in public schools? Can school bullies inflict emotional pain with the approval of the Supreme Court? More and more school districts are adopting anti-bullying laws.

Children seem to be protected from bullies in school but that's where it seemingly ends.

Little Jason and Ashley may be attending their father or mother's military funeral. It's perfectly OK for them to hear the Phelps' bullies at the funeral, but not for them to hear the school bullies at school.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:10 PM

146 posts, read 398,705 times
While I support the freedom of speech, I DO believe that the morons should be forced to keep 2 or 3 thousand feet from the funeral so the funeral goers can pay their respects in a more serene environment.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:14 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,246,121 times
Quote:

Yes..Americans have the right to freedom of speech even the spiteful, hateful words and signs that come from the church.

I don't like anything about the church but I would have to defend their right to do it.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:20 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,399,008 times
This opinion seems to further eviscerate the fighting words doctrine that has been eroding for the past 40 years. This is a good thing. Chaplinsky is a relic of tighter controls on free speech during World War II.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:26 PM

15,083 posts, read 20,421,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I agree with it.

They are despicable, but being despicable isn't a crime in this country.
Agreed.

Old 03-02-2011, 07:55 PM

6,105 posts, read 5,971,539 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I have the right to peacefully beat them with a 2 X 4 if they interrupted one of my family member's or friend's family member's funeral.

No, I don't.

But I would.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BZGKx2pTBQc

Why beat them with a piece of wood? I would go a step further. This a legitament use for firearms. They would get a warning shot followed by a cop style wounding shot and then followed by lethal force.. This would be ideal for a 30 round glock pistol. As a legal defense I would ask the defense team for a defense based on provocation and self defense.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies