Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 09:36 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,205,733 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
Please provide some links that support this assertion.
The Union War on Charter Schools - WSJ.com

Teachers Unions Block School Choice | The Heritage Foundation

Reason.tv: Teachers Unions and School Choice - Q&A with Green Dot Schools Founder Steve Barr - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

Teachers unions are the special interest blocking school choice | Gary Beckner | Op Eds | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/op-eds/2011/01/teachers-unions-are-special-interest-blocking-school-choice - broken link)

no doubt these are publications/op-eds your royal highness doesn't approve of
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 09:51 PM

724 posts, read 1,685,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
to accept ALL students who apply.
  • keep ALL students who are enrolled. No dumping the discontents and malcontents, or students who are on the wrong end of the Bell Curve.
This is the problem with public education. Too many kids behave like animals and they are entitled to education so they can't' be disciplined or kicked out. I am all for educating people who need extra help and want to learn, but the entitlement gravy train for the misbehaving children needs to end. Give them a job digging ditches and watch them shape up. The problem children degrade the quality of education for all and schools just end up being prisons for the kids who want opportunity and are willing to work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If they take govt. money, they will have to play by the govt's rules. "He who pays the piper calls the tune".
It is not the government's money. It is OUR money. You are ridiculously smug in your statism.

Old 03-02-2011, 09:59 PM

6,993 posts, read 6,335,421 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheEconomist View Post
[/list]This is the problem with public education. Too many kids behave like animals and they are entitled to education so they can't' be disciplined or kicked out. I am all for educating people who need extra help and want to learn, but the entitlement gravy train for the misbehaving children needs to end. Give them a job digging ditches and watch them shape up. The problem children degrade the quality of education for all and schools just end up being prisons for the kids who want opportunity and are willing to work.

It is not the government's money. It is OUR money. You are ridiculously smug in your statism.
Exactly and it must serve the needs of ALL, not just those who meet with your approval.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:28 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katiana View Post
If they take govt. money, they will have to play by the govt's rules. "He who pays the piper calls the tune".
You shouldn't have to set any rules for them, the competition between the schools for the funds will drive them to provide a quality education. That is the whole point of letting the parents pick the school their children attend. Besides that you'll be hindering how they can approach things. Suppose a school wants specialize in arts, sciences, maths or even special education. Instead of rigid rules you allow the school to cater to students abilities.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:32 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,205,733 times
Quote:
[/list]This is the problem with public education. Too many kids behave like animals and they are entitled to education so they can't' be disciplined or kicked out. I am all for educating people who need extra help and want to learn, but the entitlement gravy train for the misbehaving children needs to end. Give them a job digging ditches and watch them shape up. The problem children degrade the quality of education for all and schools just end up being prisons for the kids who want opportunity and are willing to work.

econo, problem kids are not the problem facing public schools, they're the product of them. education needs to be re thought and unfortunately it can't be done at the monlithic federal level or even state level. the way i see it, the system is failing a high enough percentage of the kids that it's time to try everything to see if anything works.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:34 PM

41,813 posts, read 51,023,289 times
Quote:

The legislation in PA isn't going to force any school into it, the student can apply to any public or private school they want. They get in if accepted.

The only issue I foresee with this down the road is special ed. The only issue thing I can come up with regarding this any school accepting these funds also has to take X amount of special education students.

Old 03-02-2011, 10:56 PM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
i believe that vouchers/charter schools are far better than what we have today and it's a step in the right direction.

any thoughts
Every person has school choice.
You can choose to pay for private education for your kids.
I'm childfree, support public schools with my property taxes.
I have no problem with that.
I never used the public school system myself.

VOUCHERS destroy public education. They take funds from the schools, further undermining them.

Want a private education for your entitled kids?
Pay for it.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:37 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,776,564 times
Quote:
i believe that vouchers/charter schools are far better than what we have today and it's a step in the right direction.

any thoughts
It's not school teachers in the way, it's parents. All you'll be doing is smearing problems around. When schools are funded by property tax structures it guarantees the best education for wealthy neighborhoods, and the worst for the poorest neighborhoods no matter how gifted the student. Compound that with poor people working more hours, less available to parent kids, plus the inherited dysfunction that made them poor (the parent & neighborhood being their handicap)... it's too much to overcome alone. Wealthy neighborhoods have more parenting time available, more support structures reinforcing school lessons etc.

I'm not suggesting wealthy kids should have a dumbed down education but I think solutions applicable to the problem children need revised thinking. I also think if we're going to spend a dime on bottom performers lagging behind a dime should be spent challenging advanced placement students. Disciplinary problems in schools should never be tolerated. It only undermines the education of all. Drop the kid off at CPS and let the parents have the conversation with them. Schools are not meant to be free daycare system and parents unable to be parent need confrontation. Every kid slipping through the cracks is destined to be another punk on the street lashing out from neglect.

You can't blame teachers for the marching orders they're following anymore than you can blame the cop for a law being written. Challenge the content of curricula/ standards makes far more sense than erecting yet another building. Challenge policies dealing with problem children as well. Telling someone to curb their brat is not out of line. I've been to too many PTA meetings and parents all too often blame teachers for their kids performance. Frankly all I saw/ heard was the parent being the biggest handicap the child had. Perhaps CPS can teach parenting skills prior to teachers getting involved in the meeting?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:44 PM

Quote:
The Union War on Charter Schools - WSJ.com

Teachers Unions Block School Choice | The Heritage Foundation

Reason.tv: Teachers Unions and School Choice - Q&A with Green Dot Schools Founder Steve Barr - Hit & Run : Reason Magazine

Teachers unions are the special interest blocking school choice | Gary Beckner | Op Eds | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/opinion/op-eds/2011/01/teachers-unions-are-special-interest-blocking-school-choice - broken link)

no doubt these are publications/op-eds your royal highness doesn't approve of
Every single one of those publications/ think tanks is an amalgamation of Koch/ Murdoch multi billion agenda. They've misdirected blame to satisfy personal gain yet again. If they had something to offer they wouldn't spend their every waking moment attacking another plan. That's how I know with certainty they aren't worthy of my ear anymore. WSJ is a sales tool of reaganomics that cannot bear to criticize itself. It's spent reputation is as comical as Forbes celebrating Jeffrey Skilling.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
The legislation in PA isn't going to force any school into it, the student can apply to any public or private school they want. They get in if accepted.

The only issue I foresee with this down the road is special ed. The only issue thing I can come up with regarding this any school accepting these funds also has to take X amount of special education students.
Memory serves me right they solved special ed students on long island by creating a separate school and over rode the distance restrictions. There has to come a point, however, that the school system is let off the hook for those who genuinely cannot live up to any standards. Some children will be left behind. Some will forever be stuck in 6th grade functioning level even in adult bodies. Reality check, folks. That's life and we're far better off investing time in vocation training for menial jobs because brain function handicap isn't something anyone can reasonably overcome. It's as permanent a condition as brain injury. Our expectations need to change. Our civilization needs to find a place for them. That's all we can humanely do.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies