Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 12:03 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Juana Fuentes-Bowles, then the director of Delaware’s Human Relations Division, was in the audience and stood up and told the crowd that his remarks were racist.
Despite Stewart's effort to assure to the audience that he did not mean to offend, Bowles’ office launched an inquiry and held a hearing.
Quote:
Delaware’s Human Relations Division website says its mission is to “ensure equal opportunity for all people” by protecting against practices that discriminate based on race and color. Based on those principles, the committee ruled that Stewart’s conduct violated the state’s equal accommodation law. In turn, each of the complainants were to be awarded $1,500 in damages.

So a member of the audience used her official position to start an inquiry by the commission she was Director of and awarded the members of the audience(including herself I would imagine) $1500.....

Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 12:55 PM

46,951 posts, read 25,984,404 times
Default So, no transcript?

Without knowing what was said, there's nothing here to get worked up over.

If the announcement was filled with racial expletives, sure, sue. If it was not, get over your damn selves.

And cell phone users in cinemas - including those who "only" text - should be dipped in butter-flavored popcorn topping, rolled in circus peanuts and displayed in the lobby.

This is why civilized movie theatres have a liquor license. The above-21 crowd seem less tied to their phones, and those who plunk down the extra $5 tend to be there for the movie.

(Of course, last time I saw a movie they had metal detectors to assist in enforcing the draconian no-cell-phones-whatsoever policy - but that may be taking things too far for the general public.)

Old 03-03-2011, 12:57 PM

2,301 posts, read 2,033,288 times
Well once again I am the guy everyone should listen to. Why is it always this way? Anyhow...

As some of the posters have said, black movie goes are awful. Personally, I have negative feelings for Irish and Korean movie-goers too. And don't even get me started on dwarf movie fans especially when they are sitting in the row behind me... "Sir, can you hunch down so I can see the screen?" Very annoying.

Anyway, I'm picturing the theater management making a general announcement to turn off cellphones. If that's the case then the original court ruling was idiotic and consequently was overturned. However, the use of cellphones is only rude if the local culture determines it to be rude. Kind of like the motorists in Paris and their use of the car horn for nearly no reason. Rude? Not to them.

As for movie theaters in general, I'm always nervous when I step into a theater and find it crowded. I know I'm going to discover some loud folks to sit next to. I just know it. I have discovered that sitting at the back of the theater is best. After all, movie patrons face -and talk- towards the movie screen, not towards the back of the theater. In the end, there's something reassuringly safe about renting the DVD and watching the movie at home. There's no big screen, but there are no disturbances either. Plus, if necessary, I get to use my own restroom.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:14 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,730,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

So a member of the audience used her official position to start an inquiry by the commission she was Director of and awarded the members of the audience(including herself I would imagine) $1500.....

Exactly. That is what I find so crazy... is that the original "award" was given out by a woman in the audience, who happened to be a powerful state bureaucrat!

I don't know what she's doing these days, but I notice that someone else has her job now.

Old 03-03-2011, 01:17 PM

7,006 posts, read 6,993,500 times
Liberal Victimology 101.

Telling patrons to turn off their cell phones while the movie is playing is standard practice where I live. Nothing racist about it, it's just common courtesy, which is in short supply these days.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:14 PM

711 posts, read 1,143,777 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by dnljackson View Post
Everyone should turn off their cellphones when going inside the movie theaters, whether black or white, yellow or brown.
Exactly.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:35 PM

2,085 posts, read 2,468,889 times
Pretty soon, it will be considered racist to look at a black person, or speak to one. I am so tired of all this victim crap.

Old 03-03-2011, 05:52 PM

4,050 posts, read 3,959,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
Pretty soon, it will be considered racist to look at a black person, or speak to one. I am so tired of all this victim crap.
Yet in another post you call all black people, "thugs"!
While I don't think the manager of the theatre was racist, you on the other hand

Old 03-03-2011, 07:04 PM

5,800 posts, read 6,567,236 times
This lawsuit is just as ludicrous as that woman in Illinois several years ago who received several million dollars in a settlement for spilling hot coffee on herself.

Anyone who doesn't believe that we have an out-of-control legal system must be in a coma.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:59 PM

3,100 posts, read 3,301,832 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Waianaegirl View Post
And here we go. You people are like clockwork. I can honestly set my watch by the number of times a "let me gripe about those ******s" thread shows up on this board.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies