Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think The Supreme Court Made The Correct Decision???
YES..... I reluctantly do! 58 69.05%
NO.....The "church" goes too far! 25 29.76%
I Have No Opinion on the ruling! 1 1.19%
I don't really care! 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 07:43 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,401,610 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Something is seriously wrong with a country in which saying "God Hates ****" at a funeral is okay, but saying "God Loves You" in a school is not okay.

Roberts and company blew it big-time. Again. The ACLU is not America. It's just a bunch of rich lawyers who get their jollies entitling scum.
The First Amendment says that Congress cannot create any law respecting the establishment of a religion. It also says that Congress cannot do anything to interfere with the free exercise of one's religion. So yes, if one wants to say "God hates ****," that's a (demented) exercise of religion AND free speech that the Court correctly refused to prohibit. And yes, a public school teacher trying to lead a prayer in school would be a state imposition of religion, which has also correctly been prohibited.

Separation of church and state. The government stays out of religion, it really shouldn't be that hard.

Quote:
I see little evidence that the First Amendment, as wielded and interpreted by this SCOTUS and its handmaidens at the ACLU, protects the rights of anyone other than scoundrels, liars, and purveyors of hatred and filth.
People that you think are scoundrels, liars, and purveyors of hatred. If they aren't guaranteed free speech, when does that end? How many people are you comfortable with losing their right to free speech? Our country deeply embodies the principle that while I may disagree with what you say, I will defend to the death your right to say it.

I may disagree with tea partiers or Code Pink, or Cindy Sheehan or Ann Coulter, but I will never suggest that they should be silenced.

Quote:
This is a dark milestone in the history of our republic, and has people all over the world marveling at the level of hypocrisy and stupidity of our judicial system, and the incredible unfitness of the current SCOTUS to rule meaningfully and fairly on any issue involving actual human beings in the real world.
On the contrary, this is a welcome reaffirmation of one of our most basic tenets - that America isn't easy - that we must allow the right to speak to those who we think are most repugnant in what they say.

Quote:
Sam Alito is the only person with a scintilla of common sense on the Court. The rest of them are no better than Fred Phelps and his pea-brained followers, and a disgrace to their profession and to the human race.
I'm sorry that you don't have the full appreciation and respect for our freedom of speech that makes us the greatest country in the world. Our freedom of speech makes us a beacon of light in dark places in the world, and the Supreme Court reaffirmed that in this ruling.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 10:01 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,015,037 times
Anyone besides myself recognize the irony of liberals and atheist supporting the rights of right-wing religious nut cases?

Old 03-08-2011, 10:38 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,553,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ovcatto View Post
Anyone besides myself recognize the irony of liberals and atheist supporting the rights of right-wing religious nut cases?
No because the irony really isn't lost on us Liberals. Freedom of speech is a value we truly cherish.
Even if it comes from hate filled idiots.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:24 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,504,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MiamiRob View Post
No because the irony really isn't lost on us Liberals. Freedom of speech is a value we truly cherish.
Even if it comes from hate filled idiots.
Well said and I agree....the problem is labeling people...I for one am very liberal on social issues; yet moderately conservative on fiscal concerns.

Time to stop drawing battlelines in the sand.....everything is not a conservative/liberal debate and few issues are black/white but usually gray.

Many things should transcend our political labels which are simply another attempt to keep people divided and from working together to achieve common goals.

Old 03-12-2011, 03:19 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,310,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
I'm sorry that you don't have the full appreciation and respect for our freedom of speech that makes us the greatest country in the world. Our freedom of speech makes us a beacon of light in dark places in the world, and the Supreme Court reaffirmed that in this ruling.
The First amendment has made us not a beacon of light, but the object of head-shaking derision. But that is beside the point. I remind you that I have never argued that Phelps should be silenced. Where did you get that idea? Re-read my posts.

I don`t want Phelps squelched. Instead, I want him and his scum beaten within an inch of their lives and chased out of town. I want him to remember that while he has the freedom to spew any kind of disgusting filth he wants, that there are consequences -- painful ones -- which attach themselves to his behavior.

Posts like your extoll the virtues of evil speech and behavior, as if it were to exist protected from consequence, in a world in which the forces of good are powerless to extract revenge for the scum, like Phelps, who mock our Constitution, our soldiers, and our country. Keep this in mind: it does not. They are not. And we need to remember this, lest the only voices left in our culture are the voices of the Westies and their ilk...

Old 03-12-2011, 10:07 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,401,610 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
I remind you that I have never argued that Phelps should be silenced. Where did you get that idea? Re-read my posts.
I quoted you as saying that "Sam Alito is the only person with a scintilla of common sense on the Court." Alito was the one justice who said that the Phelps should have been arrested for their words based on the almost completely outdated "fighting words" doctrine. Justice Alito argued that the Phelps should be silenced, and you lauded him for common sense based on his dissent. That's where I get the idea you want them silenced.

Quote:
I don`t want Phelps squelched. Instead, I want him and his scum beaten within an inch of their lives and chased out of town. I want him to remember that while he has the freedom to spew any kind of disgusting filth he wants, that there are consequences -- painful ones -- which attach themselves to his behavior.
"I have never argued that Phelps should be silenced?" How can you say that and then write this?

This also leads me, and any reasonable person, to conclude that you want them silenced. You don't want them silenced, but you want them chased out of town and beaten within an inch of their lives? You agree with Justice Alito who said that the law should prevent them from making their hateful statements.

Quote:
Posts like your extoll the virtues of evil speech and behavior, as if it were to exist protected from consequence, in a world in which the forces of good are powerless to extract revenge for the scum, like Phelps, who mock our Constitution, our soldiers, and our country. Keep this in mind: it does not. They are not. And we need to remember this, lest the only voices left in our culture are the voices of the Westies and their ilk...
The Phelps have done a pretty good job of making themselves as marginal as possible. Does a person have the right to say that they hate this country? Yes, as despicable an opinion as that is. What gives you or anybody else the right to say what opinions are valid, and what must be punished with physical beatings and punishment under the law, as you advocate?

You refer to legally protesting union members as thugs all the time, but if you had your way, you would be a violent thug against people doing nothing more than stating their opinion. The fact that their opinion is abhorrent and terrible is beside the point.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies