Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think The Supreme Court Made The Correct Decision???
YES..... I reluctantly do! 58 69.05%
NO.....The "church" goes too far! 25 29.76%
I Have No Opinion on the ruling! 1 1.19%
I don't really care! 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-02-2011, 11:00 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevergoingback View Post
I agree with Justice Alito.

"In order to have a society in which public issues can be openly and vigorously debated, it is not necessary to allow the brutalization of innocent victims like petitioner."

While Roberts argues that the content of Westboro's protest signs "plainly relates to public, rather than private, matters," Alito seems to find that the public intention doesn't negate the personal damage that was inflicted.

"Respondents brutally attacked Matthew Snyder, and this attack, which was almost certain to inflict injury, was central to respondents' well-practiced strategy for attracting public attention,"

I disagree with Justice Roberts.
I agree as well. Burying the dead is not up for public debate and to impede/ harass anyone while doing so is far beyond the pale morally repugnant. You won't see this kind of vitriol directed at heinous criminals sentenced to death by due process but this is the way they treat military killed in the line of duty. Someone else's mental health issue shouldn't be an entitlement to inflict themselves on all others.

I'm really wondering what irrational extreme people will give themselves license to interrupt church services for churches they disagree with, to stalk people they politically disagree with until they're run into a french tunnel, etc etc. The right to harass & abuse is not free speech.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-02-2011, 11:02 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dewmik View Post
Just FYI you don't have to have a bike to join PGR. Simply look at the web page and if they are asked to go to a funeral in your area it is posted on a twitter like board. Remember that they only show up as guests requested by the family so don't just show up and start a wall.
Thanx for the additional information, the only bike I own is a Huffy which I must pedal. Here are some Patriot Guard Rider Links>>>>>

Home

Patriot Guard Riders - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

PGR FAQ

Old 03-02-2011, 11:03 PM

7,541 posts, read 6,269,864 times
As much as I disagree (loathe) what Westboro baptists stand and rant, they have the right to free speech, like the rest of us.

Which is why, if you know that one of their minions is about to show up somewhere, just get together with a bunch of friends and protest on the otehr side. DROWN out their voices

The best shut-down I've seen was done at San Diego Comic-Con 2010 (only 10 of their minions showed up to sput their hatred; they were met with the voices and over 10,000 geeks):

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dZ1G0K46qLk

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJYYDZFrInE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FmMONoB8xn0

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C9Q9lKa2F14

Old 03-02-2011, 11:04 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times
The only defense against westboro baptist BS without getting sucked into their drama is to have a loudspeaker pointed directly at them at higher decibel drowning their retardation out. Perhaps something from liberace?

Old 03-02-2011, 11:15 PM

4,085 posts, read 4,334,233 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
The only defense against westboro baptist BS without getting sucked into their drama is to have a loudspeaker pointed directly at them at higher decibel drowning their retardation out. Perhaps something from liberace?
Maybe Queen would work better.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:25 PM

Quote:
I agree as well. Burying the dead is not up for public debate and to impede/ harass anyone while doing so is far beyond the pale morally repugnant. You won't see this kind of vitriol directed at heinous criminals sentenced to death by due process but this is the way they treat military killed in the line of duty. Someone else's mental health issue shouldn't be an entitlement to inflict themselves on all others.

I'm really wondering what irrational extreme people will give themselves license to interrupt church services for churches they disagree with, to stalk people they politically disagree with until they're run into a french tunnel, etc etc. The right to harass & abuse is not free speech.
You bring up a very intriguing point......Am I and others allowed to protest at a church or church services; that we perceive to be politically attacking and degrading other groups of people such as myself?.

Assuming we stay off of private property during our protest....I would still think it's disrespectful; however I also feel it's disrespectful for churches to push political agendas and dogmas on U.S. citizens.

Here's some of the good work done by The Patriot Guard>>>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W5WysC_Hs_Q

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rP6gneH1DRU

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S0ZXxnl4lIk

Old 03-02-2011, 11:26 PM

948 posts, read 1,385,986 times
Quote:

You must understand that if the suit had gone to the plaintiff it would be a slippery slope. This is very black and white, one religions version of prayer vs another. Laws are decided with out emotion or prejudice. They won't say a form of religion is wrong or right. If there had been a plaintiff verdict then the law would in effect say that a catholic person could not pray to his/her god at a baptist funeral or visa verse.
Additional a plaintiff verdict would have said that a public cemetery could block a certain religion. The problem there is the constitution clearly says freedom of religion and to close a tax funded cemetery to a group would contradict that.
I do agree that it is harassment but the laws that have stood against these protests all provide a distance limitation with out banning a group from public grounds.
We may see in time a noise ordinance against the Westboro idiots but I think that will also fail because some religions do hold loud services with music and yelling.
The best solution is as the PGR dose. Go to the funeral as invited guests and build a human wall between the two factions with out protest or physical actions.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:28 PM

Quote:
ROFL......That would be appropriate but I can think of some more modern gay groups that would serve the purpose even better>>>>>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lyl5DlrsU90

Old 03-02-2011, 11:41 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,439,219 times
Quote:
And a couple TRAIN HORNS DIRECTED IN THEIR DIRECTION. But i do agree with you, they are nothing but a reality drama played out where they should not belong in the first place in my opinion, but their rights.

Old 03-02-2011, 11:58 PM

948 posts, read 1,385,986 times
Go up and watch PITTSTON2SARASOTA second video on post 16. It shows the funeral. Notice 2 things. 1) No one from PGR yells hollers or makes any gestures to the protesters. NO LOUD SPEAKERS. 2)The protesters are on the sidewalk while the PGR is on the road. The protesters are required to keep a distance (I think 30 yards but I may be wrong) because they were not invited while the PGR is invited and allowed with in the required distance.
These things are very important. The goal is to allow the mourners a respectful service and any action besides acting as a wall takes away from that. Any outburst or counter protest disrupts the service and is disrespectful to the mourners.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies