Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think The Supreme Court Made The Correct Decision???
YES..... I reluctantly do! 58 69.05%
NO.....The "church" goes too far! 25 29.76%
I Have No Opinion on the ruling! 1 1.19%
I don't really care! 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 04:13 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,778,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
A disgraceful decision, handed down by a group of people who have not and will never experience what the grieving families if Phelps` victims have experienced.

I only hope I encounter this "reverend" or his followers engaging in such despicable, hateful, and inflammatory behavior someday. Mr. Phelps will wish he had never been born, I assure you.

Bikers revving their engines? Girls dressed up as angels? That`s it? Our troops have fought to ennable this hate-monger to publicly spit on our dead heroes and their families with impunity? What kind of cowardly people have we become in America?

Instead of play-acting, what say we punch their mother-loving lights out and shove their signs up their ask-me-no-questions!!! So you do a month or so in jail for assault. Big deal. It`s worth it to teach them and any other would-be practioners of maggot-brained hatred that THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES TO SUCH ACTIONS.

If hundreds of Americans simply took matters into their own hands and made it too painful for Phelps and his followers to continue with this nonsense, we`d all be better off. Freedom of speech? You bet. Let`s just remind Fred and his gang that speech comes at the price of broken noses and spitting chiclets.
I hear you yeld and I don't mind saying if any vet puts that bruising on this cretan I'd feel compelled to write a check bailing him out. I don't speak for everyone but it's not cowardice on my part. It's more a habitual callous shrugging off white noise lunatics on soap boxes in times square, senses assaulted by madison ave & too much shock jock garbage. Not everything is worthy of response and most attention seekers move on to the next irrational delusion in rapid cycle mania. Pay them no mind (but keep them in the corner of your eye) usually works on garden variety nuts. Unless of course the media gives them a soap box too long and they get addicted to the limelight. You know, like Sharpton- the herpes of black folks, he just doesn't go away. Or Palin, the herpes of white folks who also won't go away.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 04:19 AM

11,535 posts, read 30,254,914 times
The problem with the "spirit of the law" is a little six letter word; intent. What did the framers of our Constutition intend when they wrote the First Amendment? We don't know, and intent - according to my friend who is a criminal lawyer - is nearly impossible to prove without irrefutable evidence. It is these little niggling questions that the wise nine are obliged to sort out for the rest of us. I hate the decision but I can't argue the merit of it in any logical way.

Most every state has hate groups whether it is kkk or skinheads or Aryan ??s. There are several that hide under the cloak of religion. The only difference between them is this Baptist group of haters is more vocal and is getting by with it by being loud, intrusive, insulting, dishonorable while trying to incite a riot so they can claim they are being harrassed for the religious beliefs.

There is no moderator to remove their posts, so it has to be done slowly, methodically in a Civil Court. Ideally every county that has had these visitors would start suit. Civil disobedience. I would bet my bottom dollar if you can find a set of Lincoln's law books there will still be a law on the books that will tell us how to "cure" this type of behavior. One of our old lawyers in town has a set of the books. . .

Old 03-03-2011, 05:28 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,200 times
I agree with the Supreme Court's ruling, but not reluctantly though.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:21 AM

14,785 posts, read 24,075,496 times
I think we have a bunch of moronic idiots who are sitting on the supreme court and there will be blood shed the next time or soon after westboro shows up . And guess what folks that blood will be on the hands of the supreme court idiots who decided this . When government wont stand up , then the people must !!! Where was the supreme court when jews were being slaughtered by Hitler ? The people took a stand and said NO MORE !! Well I think the american public and people should stand up to the supreme court and say NO MORE WESTBORO BAPTIST CHURCH !!! Thank God for the freedom riders and the walls they form .. and for as westboro baptist church saying the wrath of God , Honey the wbc has not seen the wrath of God but one day they will .

Old 03-03-2011, 09:24 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,117 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I think we have a bunch of moronic idiots who are sitting on the supreme court and there will be blood shed the next time or soon after westboro shows up . And guess what folks that blood will be on the hands of the supreme court idiots who decided this . When government wont stand up , then the people must !!! Where was the supreme court when jews were being slaughtered by Hitler ? The people took a stand and said NO MORE !! Well I think the american public and people should stand up to the supreme court and say NO MORE WESTBORO BAPTIST CHURCH !!!
Have you NO understanding of how the First Amendment works?

Ummm...the SCOTUS only has jurisdiction inside the US, so I have to wonder what YOU think they could have done about the genocide of Jews in Europe.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:52 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,036,965 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
Well I think the american public and people should stand up to the supreme court and say NO MORE WESTBORO BAPTIST CHURCH !!!
You see that is one of the wonderful things about the 1st Amendment, Americans are free to stand in front of the Westboro Baptist Church and firmly state, no more.

As for the rest of your post... I'll spare you the embarrassment of responding.

Old 03-03-2011, 10:18 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by linicx View Post
My opinion of this group - they are certainly not religious; they are school yard bullies in disguise - could not be considered politically correct in any forum, but being p c is not the issue. The problem lies here. Dissent all you will and as loudly as you like, but, If you dilute even of one small corner of the Constitution to weigh favor against that group of bullies. we all lose.

There are other ways to dismantle it such as removing the non-profit status and the status as areligious entity. There is nothing American, Christian or Judeo in its actions as a hate group. What I fear most is that sooner or later this group will push someone unstable over the edge and they will feel the wrath of the agrieved, and innocent people will be harmed.

Where is the Baptist Church on this issue? As one of the first churches in the New World before our nation was formed, it needs to take a stand.

I agree......how is WestBoro allowed to keep it's status as a church and it's non-profit and non-taxable status as well????

This is the way to dismantle this vile group of family members who frankly are nothing more than a cult...IMO....remove their status exemptions.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:02 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,323,601 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
I hear you yeld and I don't mind saying if any vet puts that bruising on this cretan I'd feel compelled to write a check bailing him out. I don't speak for everyone but it's not cowardice on my part. It's more a habitual callous shrugging off white noise lunatics on soap boxes in times square, senses assaulted by madison ave & too much shock jock garbage. Not everything is worthy of response and most attention seekers move on to the next irrational delusion in rapid cycle mania. Pay them no mind (but keep them in the corner of your eye) usually works on garden variety nuts. Unless of course the media gives them a soap box too long and they get addicted to the limelight. You know, like Sharpton- the herpes of black folks, he just doesn't go away. Or Palin, the herpes of white folks who also won't go away.
This is tantamount to saying ignore that melanoma.

Excuse me for going gender-specific on you here, but I learned as a young man that the only thing that keeps a bully away is a bloody nose.

Mr. Phelps needs to have hs teeth kicked in.

Old 03-03-2011, 04:33 PM

9,888 posts, read 10,820,096 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
A disgraceful decision, handed down by a group of people who have not and will never experience what the grieving families if Phelps` victims have experienced.

I only hope I encounter this "reverend" or his followers engaging in such despicable, hateful, and inflammatory behavior someday. Mr. Phelps will wish he had never been born, I assure you.

Bikers revving their engines? Girls dressed up as angels? That`s it? Our troops have fought to ennable this hate-monger to publicly spit on our dead heroes and their families with impunity? What kind of cowardly people have we become in America?

Instead of play-acting, what say we punch their mother-loving lights out and shove their signs up their ask-me-no-questions!!! So you do a month or so in jail for assault. Big deal. It`s worth it to teach them and any other would-be practioners of maggot-brained hatred that THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES TO SUCH ACTIONS.

If hundreds of Americans simply took matters into their own hands and made it too painful for Phelps and his followers to continue with this nonsense, we`d all be better off. Freedom of speech? You bet. Let`s just remind Fred and his gang that speech comes at the price of broken noses and spitting chiclets.
You are right on yeledef....however, that free speech thing is a touchy one......I obviously am one who sees things in black and white not a lot of gray in my vision.........so I will back you 100% on your prescription and say free speech my ass...........but then the next time some little group of homos goes busting into a church in their sisters underwear proselytizing their religion, I will call for the same prescription. That Free speech thing ...........I'm siding with the 1 on this one but there are 8 going the other way.

Old 03-03-2011, 06:48 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,518,195 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
That song has no meaning to me as a woman because my sexuality is experienced differently than males. I hope you understand that. Crimminy I wish hetero males knew that! ROFL

As for those saying anything goes in free speech performance art/ media circus I'd just like to point out something I feel is valid criticism among social conservative arguments. I despise Palin but common decency standards are in order because this adult world is in part shared with children. The majority women also would rather not be bothered with what amounts to be penis contests that are pointless unto themselves. Whether or not you have children yourselves civilization has no purpose whatsoever if children are not permitted to exist in it. That standard was provided for you as children growing up and you're obliged to pay it forward. No I'm not saying kids should be free to play in traffic. I'm saying they're the last thing you consider in everything we do as a civilization and there's something patently wrong with that mentality.

Free society being given too liberal a license to operate would have everyone driving down the wrong lane highway. Children need structure, order, and reinforcement from community about social standards. What they get these days are adults degenerated in maturity. Parents are having to keep their children locked away from exchanges with civilization to increasing degrees because adults are not willing to be responsible for themselves. The sense of community is lost in the fray. It's this aspect of atlas shrugged on steroids I take rigorous objections.
The song was NOT for you...ROFL...it was to drown out and annoy WestBoro...IMHO...it's a perfect pick...After all the title alone tells them something....."Relax.....Don't Do It"...........
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies