Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think The Supreme Court Made The Correct Decision???
YES..... I reluctantly do! 58 69.05%
NO.....The "church" goes too far! 25 29.76%
I Have No Opinion on the ruling! 1 1.19%
I don't really care! 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 06:54 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,521,282 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
A disgraceful decision, handed down by a group of people who have not and will never experience what the grieving families if Phelps` victims have experienced.

I only hope I encounter this "reverend" or his followers engaging in such despicable, hateful, and inflammatory behavior someday. Mr. Phelps will wish he had never been born, I assure you.

Bikers revving their engines? Girls dressed up as angels? That`s it? Our troops have fought to ennable this hate-monger to publicly spit on our dead heroes and their families with impunity? What kind of cowardly people have we become in America?

Instead of play-acting, what say we punch their mother-loving lights out and shove their signs up their ask-me-no-questions!!! So you do a month or so in jail for assault. Big deal. It`s worth it to teach them and any other would-be practioners of maggot-brained hatred that THERE ARE CONSEQUENCES TO SUCH ACTIONS.

If hundreds of Americans simply took matters into their own hands and made it too painful for Phelps and his followers to continue with this nonsense, we`d all be better off. Freedom of speech? You bet. Let`s just remind Fred and his gang that speech comes at the price of broken noses and spitting chiclets.
Well dropping down to the Phelps level is not necessarily the answer....even though I'd like to introduce them to a baseball bat.....violence is not the way either. IMHO...I believe the Angels and Patriot Guard are doing the right thing and that takes as much guts or more than becoming violent. Like a Boil on my butt...Phelps will eventually go away and become just a bad memory. We cannot pick and choose who has first amendment rights and who doesn't.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by phonelady61 View Post
I think we have a bunch of moronic idiots who are sitting on the supreme court and there will be blood shed the next time or soon after westboro shows up . And guess what folks that blood will be on the hands of the supreme court idiots who decided this . When government wont stand up , then the people must !!! Where was the supreme court when jews were being slaughtered by Hitler ? The people took a stand and said NO MORE !! Well I think the american public and people should stand up to the supreme court and say NO MORE WESTBORO BAPTIST CHURCH !!! Thank God for the freedom riders and the walls they form .. and for as westboro baptist church saying the wrath of God , Honey the wbc has not seen the wrath of God but one day they will .
While I understand your anger...much of your post is irrelevant and nonsensical. Hitler and the Supreme Court....ROFL...WWII would be over before the case would have been heard and I don't think Hitler would have cared NOR would US law apply to him as a German.

I agree thank God for The Patriot Riders, The Angels and other citizens who stand up to WestBoro and avoid the urge to be violent, since WB is trying ......IMO...to provoke violence and hence a lawsuit...the family is full of s**t and lawyers.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:07 PM

11,578 posts, read 13,945,935 times
If I were a betting man, I'd say Phelps days are numbered. He will eventually pick the wrong funeral to protest and will meet his maker soon after via an unfortunate "accident".

Not really a matter of if, but when. I'm sure his funeral would be epic.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
You are right on yeledef....however, that free speech thing is a touchy one......I obviously am one who sees things in black and white not a lot of gray in my vision.........so I will back you 100% on your prescription and say free speech my ass...........but then the next time some little group of homos goes busting into a church in their sisters underwear proselytizing their religion, I will call for the same prescription. That Free speech thing ...........I'm siding with the 1 on this one but there are 8 going the other way.
Silas you never cease to amaze me......PLEASE explain to me and your fellow posters ......and I quote...... "The next time some little group of homos goes busting into a church proselytising their religion"

WHAT THE HELL DOES THAT MEAN??????? PLEASE PROVIDE A LINK ABOUT THIS NEW PHENOMENA????? Which you NEVER do!!!! Just more hateful and obviously inflammatory rhetoric.

IMHO......YOU BELONG with the WESTBORO clan with that type of rhetoric and sick thinking!!!!!.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:50 PM

18,216 posts, read 25,850,946 times
Everytime I think of the Westboro Baptist Church, I think of one of their interviews I saw on one of the cable news stations a few years ago. This bunch is unique! Their minds are like matter and antimatter existing at the same time.

Thanks to Pittston Sarasota for the you tubes on the San Diego demonstration this past summer. In fact, I remember doing a post on the military forum that they were scheduled to go there after picketing a series of military funerals in the heartland states. Kinda curious that they would go to a handful of funerals in mid America and then out of the clear blue show up in San Diego at a comic book convention five days later so they can get their 5 minutes of fame from the local media. Heck, if I was the promotor of the convention I'd send him home with free souvenirs of some of the most collectible comic books from the "underground". Like the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers! Harold Hedd and his friend Elmo! Or Tales From the Leather Nun! How about Feds and Heads? Naw, too conservative. And I'd make sure they went all the way back to the house with them by gluing them to the windshield. Better yet, thumbtack them to Phelps forehead.

I wondered about how they could fund a trip to San Diego with gas prices the way they are in this country. You suppose they're pulling in a lot of coin on Sundays in the old collection plate? I doubt it. With 75% of their followers attorneys (guessing), it's pretty clear to me how they make their money.

Truly unique. And scary.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DOUBLE H View Post
Everytime I think of the Westboro Baptist Church, I think of one of their interviews I saw on one of the cable news stations a few years ago. This bunch is unique! Their minds are like matter and antimatter existing at the same time.

Thanks to Pittston Sarasota for the you tubes on the San Diego demonstration this past summer. In fact, I remember doing a post on the military forum that they were scheduled to go there after picketing a series of military funerals in the heartland states. Kinda curious that they would go to a handful of funerals in mid America and then out of the clear blue show up in San Diego at a comic book convention five days later so they can get their 5 minutes of fame from the local media. Heck, if I was the promotor of the convention I'd send him home with free souvenirs of some of the most collectible comic books from the "underground". Like the Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers! Harold Hedd and his friend Elmo! Or Tales From the Leather Nun! How about Feds and Heads? Naw, too conservative. And I'd make sure they went all the way back to the house with them by gluing them to the windshield. Better yet, thumbtack them to Phelps forehead.

I wondered about how they could fund a trip to San Diego with gas prices the way they are in this country. You suppose they're pulling in a lot of coin on Sundays in the old collection plate? I doubt it. With 75% of their followers attorneys (guessing), it's pretty clear to me how they make their money.

Truly unique. And scary.
You are welcome and Thanks DOUBLE H.....I tried to post a multitude of information from various sources to get a more rounded picture of this cult of crazies.

The Fabulous Freak Brothers....Fat Freddy's Cat..........I used to love them......I agree a bunch of attorneys(being members of this crazy cult) says something about many things in our country and it "ain't good!.

Fabulous Furry Freak Brothers - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=17xDZH9dZvk

Old 03-03-2011, 08:30 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,250,283 times
Its a great day for free speech and free religion. Though just about everyone can admit the Westboro message is disgusting, banning it would only open the door to ban other unpopular political or religious movements. Its a slippery slope that would be very dangerous for the survival of the First Amendment and freedom in America. I applaud the Supreme Court's decision.

P.S. If you want to stop the Westboro Church...COMPLETELY and TOTALLY IGNORE them. What they want is attention. If their message is falling on deaf ears, they will go away. Its that simple.

Old 03-03-2011, 08:32 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,448,604 times
I think we also need to remember that the First Amendment does not exist to protect speech that we agree with, but rather to specifically protect speech where we do not agree. A lot of other nations, like the UK, Canada, Australia, Sweden, etc., like to pretend they have free speech but their laws prohibiting hate speech exposes that pretense. The US is the only nation that practices what it preaches.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:01 PM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
Have you NO understanding of how the First Amendment works?

Ummm...the SCOTUS only has jurisdiction inside the US, so I have to wonder what YOU think they could have done about the genocide of Jews in Europe.
What she's getting at is as Hitler rose to power no one seemed to stand up. Not the Churches, not the traditions of justice they had practiced for centuries. People ignored the law and let it all happen.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:12 PM

13,621 posts, read 12,729,004 times
they are ignorant morons, they should take a ride on the hale bop commet.. the ignorance in this country is just amazing
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies