Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
View Poll Results: Do You Think The Supreme Court Made The Correct Decision???
YES..... I reluctantly do! 58 69.05%
NO.....The "church" goes too far! 25 29.76%
I Have No Opinion on the ruling! 1 1.19%
I don't really care! 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 03-03-2011, 10:03 PM
 
Location: Charlotte, NC (in my mind)
7,943 posts, read 17,202,436 times
Reputation: 4680

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Each city can organize its own group to counter-protest whenever Westboro decides to arrive on the scene. No rainbow flags or shouting are necessary. Picket signs and peaceful people dressed in business casual are sufficient enough.

How does Mike Huckabee and Forrester have the power to oppress gays?
Most people see the Phelps clan as a bunch of loons, but far right politicians like Huckabee and Forrester have huge followings among the American right. Huckabee could even be our next President if things unfold just so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 03-03-2011, 10:21 PM
 
11,944 posts, read 14,742,389 times
Reputation: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
This is tantamount to saying ignore that melanoma.

Excuse me for going gender-specific on you here, but I learned as a young man that the only thing that keeps a bully away is a bloody nose.

Mr. Phelps needs to have hs teeth kicked in.
Yes it is gender specific but I'm not your average lady, wouldn't you say? I was on that very same school yard and interceded bullies when they got out of hand and adults didn't interfere. Matter of fact adults taught us to stand up to bullies. Yes a GIRL kicked their arse, which was far worse on their ego than anything. Thing is girls grow up and are socialized it's not lady like. Any sign of aggression from women is foul and ungodly according to religious steering & male hang ups. Social rules: sit there with a thorny crown on my head and pray my husband doesn't strangle me to death & murder my kids because I'm obliged to be St Theresa.

Adults grow up and are expected to resolve differences amicably. Deep down I know you're right, he does need his clock punched if the law can't figure out how to step up. The only one I feel compelled to argue with is SCOTUS mirroring back a decision reflecting in real time on the streets: law abiding citizens peacefully coexisting should be persecuted by malevolence the law fails to articulate properly. It's a catch 22 sandwiched between provocateur and sober applications of law enforcement protecting the guilty at the expense of the victim. Am I allowed to defend myself or not? Make up your damn minds already because a bunch of Rabbi's sitting around defining "it" for a century is more than a little on my nerves. Particularly for women judged harshly by juries so often because social stigmas persist. At least you get the 'get out of jail free card' because it's expected of you to be a protector. Orders of protection are a false sense of security.

Here's a truce-- if numerous complaints of harassment are filed against the same individual who persists and their nose gets bloody when he's on my turf, I think a cop should be permitted to summarily dismiss the complaint. Null set cancel each other out. The law should not come to his aid and defense. Neither shall dockets be backlogged with petty garbage or retaliatory lawsuits. I'd hate to see a climate of vigilantism but guardian angels should be allowed to exist in community. I'd dread the day I'd ever have to convict them on technicality. Wondering if local/ state laws allowing police procedures to be modified would be out of line. Call it the 'he had it coming law' and a new column added to the local news 'the village idiot' next to the cartoons.

Here's another truce-- the maximum sentence if found guilty should be 30 minutes and a nice big pastrami on rye w/ pickle on the side for being civic minded. In WV it will be a slaw dog, NC a pulled pork BBQ, and Philly gets a cheese steak with onions.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 11:03 PM
 
11,944 posts, read 14,742,389 times
Reputation: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How do you know it's public attention that drives their behaviors? Unfortunately, the gays do not have a NAACP or LULAC type group to go out on road trips and protest against the Fred Phelps group. The gays are just way too silent IMHO.
And there go the social conservatives saying shaddup already hahahaha. When someone like this gets excess media attention a psychiatric evaluation should be broadcast right along with it. Wouldn't it be nice to see what DSM V had to say about Phelps and Lyndon LaRouche? Here's your textbook case of...

Do you suppose this whole thing with phelps isn't a sponsored gig to poke law around? A star chamber of justices in an alternative universe. Spooky thought but I suppose there have been enough cases in American law where judges/ lawyers/ cops themselves felt real justice was very short on delivery but they were stumped.

Still, I want to kick him in the groin. Repeatedly. For about an hour. I have very evil thoughts I cannot deny.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 11:04 PM
 
Location: Wasilla, Alaska
17,823 posts, read 23,370,879 times
Reputation: 6541
Quote:
Originally Posted by !KOOL! View Post
Bill O'reily and EVEN...EVEN Ann Coulter slammed Westboro. That says it all. Even Coulter diagrees witht he Supreme Court here.


@ previous poster. Nope. Libel and slander is not protected by free speech. There ARE exceptions. The amendment does not mean anything goes.
As the adage goes, "your freedoms end at my nose." Nobody has the freedom to harm another, either physically or through defamation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 11:06 PM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
15,395 posts, read 22,461,491 times
Reputation: 11134
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
This is what has been going on since the beginning and this is what they want. The only way to deter them is to completely ignore them or completely block their audience's view i.e. the Patriot Guard. The counter protests do nothing but give them the attention and the spotlight they want.
I agree.....the best thing to do is shield the funeral participants from Phelps and his vile cult of followers....last thing the bereaved need is people screaming back and forth at each other....it's also about respecting the funeral NOT outshouting the Phelps...IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 11:24 PM
 
11,944 posts, read 14,742,389 times
Reputation: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
What do you propose? At nearly every Westboro event there is a large counter-protest group waving rainbow flags shouting messages back across the street at them.

Fred Phelps is not a threat to gay rights. If anything his group is the one thing that can unite liberals and conservatives in favor of tolerance. The real threat to gay rights are politicians like Mike Huckabee and Jim Forrester and their evangelical base, the people who actually have the power to legally oppress homosexuals.
Oh dear. The only thing making Evangelical base a threat are the hordes of gossiping hair dressers and the locker room talk. Nothing says community cohesion like having a scapegoat. Pathetic but true they'd convict Jesus all over again if given opportunity. Who are they if they run out of people to hate? Just think about that a while regarding the conservative dent in the head. They need to evolve, they're stuck, but you're not allowed to put them out of their misery because we need to torment them longer. No conversions allowed, it's a mistake to try.

I just love messing up the hair of curmudgeons. They're so adorable.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 11:41 PM
 
Location: Near Manito
20,170 posts, read 24,258,561 times
Reputation: 15285
Announce a mock funeral for a gay soldier. Entice the Westies to show up. Mob them, knock them down, kick the bejesus out of them, stomp on them, smash their signs and chase them out of town. Rinse and repeat. The cops can't arrest all of us. Even if they do, we'll socialize in jail and plan our next attack. Let's see how good they are at shouting through wired jaws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-03-2011, 11:43 PM
 
11,944 posts, read 14,742,389 times
Reputation: 2772
Quote:
Originally Posted by Glitch View Post
As the adage goes, "your freedoms end at my nose." Nobody has the freedom to harm another, either physically or through defamation.
Defamation... that would have Coulter in jail for at least 600 yrs at this point. Limbaugh the death penalty because he exceeded 1,000 yrs.

I think this man is still alive not because people agree with him, but because it would satisfy some sick martyr story he has in his head. Is it working for the polygamist guy?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 12:22 AM
 
Location: Sarasota, Florida
15,395 posts, read 22,461,491 times
Reputation: 11134
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Announce a mock funeral for a gay soldier. Entice the Westies to show up. Mob them, knock them down, kick the bejesus out of them, stomp on them, smash their signs and chase them out of town. Rinse and repeat. The cops can't arrest all of us. Even if they do, we'll socialize in jail and plan our next attack. Let's see how good they are at shouting through wired jaws.
I just wonder if people vehemently oppose WestBoro for it's disrupting funerals.....be it gay, straight or military????? Or just some of the mentioned groups. Otherwise as evidenced by the poll.......why then are so many people so hostile towards gay people. Surely we all are in agreement that the Westboro Cult is wrong and a group of hatemongers!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 03-04-2011, 01:09 AM
 
Location: Inland Levy County, FL
8,806 posts, read 6,081,661 times
Reputation: 2949
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I don't think any of us are thrilled with this "group" of hatemongers. Maybe this will be the thread where most of us actually agree on something.

However.......I reluctantly agree with the court ruling in favor of free speech......no matter how obnoxious or offensive I myself find their words and behaviour.

The "Church" usually pickets Military Funerals and Gay Funerals...very despicable behaviour IMHO.

And NEWS FLASH.....Sarah Palin and myself are in complete agreement about how we feel regarding WestBoro Baptist.

Please keep in mind that as American citizens; we also have a right to COUNTER PROTEST the members of this "church", wherever and whenever they show up at funerals etcetera.



1st Amendment protects Westboro, Court rules | News Story on 365gay.com

Westboro Funeral Pickets Are Protected Speech, High Court Rules - FoxNews.com

Supreme Court: Anti-gay funeral picketers allowed - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110302/ap_on_re_us/us_supreme_court_funeral_protests - broken link)

Sarah Palin: Westboro Baptist Church Ruling Reflects Lack Of 'Common Sense & Decency'
Although their behavior is disgusting, I have to agree with the ruling. However, I do believe they should maybe be cited for disturbing the peace...maybe they will back off if cops actually do their jobs instead of just gawking at the spectacle they make of themselves.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:


Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
Similar Threads

All times are GMT -6.

© 2005-2024, Advameg, Inc. · Please obey Forum Rules · Terms of Use and Privacy Policy · Bug Bounty

City-Data.com - Contact Us - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27, 28, 29, 30, 31, 32, 33, 34, 35, 36, 37 - Top