Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Celebrating Memorial Day!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think The Supreme Court Made The Correct Decision???
YES..... I reluctantly do! 58 69.05%
NO.....The "church" goes too far! 25 29.76%
I Have No Opinion on the ruling! 1 1.19%
I don't really care! 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 07:25 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,039 times

Advertisements

I am one to agree with freedom of speech even if I disagree with what they're saying. However, even though a soldier is part of he government, a funeral is a private matter and there should be some restrictions but to what limit I'm not sure.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 07:10 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePR View Post
I am one to agree with freedom of speech even if I disagree with what they're saying. However, even though a soldier is part of he government, a funeral is a private matter and there should be some restrictions but to what limit I'm not sure.

That's where we hit a "slippery slope"......what type of restrictions and why not put restrictions on other groups who we find offensive and think....where would it end if we started these restrictions.

Therefore...though I dislike WestBoro....and homophobes....and idiots.....I do not have the right to restrict their free speech and they don't have the right to restrict mine. As it should be in a "free country".

Old 03-07-2011, 07:23 PM

5,984 posts, read 13,418,437 times
There needs to be limits on free speech. Ban this type of hate speech. We bend the Constitution in other areas, why not here?

Old 03-07-2011, 07:49 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
There needs to be limits on free speech. Ban this type of hate speech. We bend the Constitution in other areas, why not here?
There are limits on free speech and have been for some time.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:06 PM

4,027 posts, read 7,292,039 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
That's where we hit a "slippery slope"......what type of restrictions and why not put restrictions on other groups who we find offensive and think....where would it end if we started these restrictions.

Therefore...though I dislike WestBoro....and homophobes....and idiots.....I do not have the right to restrict their free speech and they don't have the right to restrict mine. As it should be in a "free country".
That's exactly why I'm unsure of what could be done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kazoopilot View Post
You're right, it's done in many places of the constitution, let's not start in another place.

Old 03-07-2011, 08:11 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Something is seriously wrong with a country in which saying "God Hates ****" at a funeral is okay, but saying "God Loves You" in a school is not okay.

Roberts and company blew it big-time. Again. The ACLU is not America. It's just a bunch of rich lawyers who get their jollies entitling scum.

To review: 'While the messages on the signs carried by its members "may fall short of refined commentary,” the chief justice wrote, “the issues they highlight — the political and moral conduct of the United States and its citizens, the fate of our nation, homosexuality in the military and scandals involving the Catholic clergy — are matters of public import.” '

Public import? What public import? The baldfaced lie that religion and homosexuality are somehow connected, and that that has some bearing on the public policy of the United States, and that those issues are in some way related to the deaths of our soldiers and may most properly be properly expressed not in a public debate or the legislative arena, BUT AT A FUNERAL FOR A DEAD SOLDIER, IN SIGHT AND HEARING OF FAMILY MEMBERS?

Does the decision also imply that a child can wear a tee shirt proclaiming "I hate ****" to school? Or that objecting to, say, a tattoo with that message would make the objector liable for violating the First Amendment rights of its bearer?

I see little evidence that the First Amendment, as wielded and interpreted by this SCOTUS and its handmaidens at the ACLU, protects the rights of anyone other than scoundrels, liars, and purveyors of hatred and filth.

This is a dark milestone in the history of our republic, and has people all over the world marveling at the level of hypocrisy and stupidity of our judicial system, and the incredible unfitness of the current SCOTUS to rule meaningfully and fairly on any issue involving actual human beings in the real world.

Sam Alito is the only person with a scintilla of common sense on the Court. The rest of them are no better than Fred Phelps and his pea-brained followers, and a disgrace to their profession and to the human race.

Last edited by Yeledaf; 03-07-2011 at 08:34 PM..

Old 03-07-2011, 10:51 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,528,563 times
I think we all need to review the first amendment>>>>>

First Amendment to the United States Constitution - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

SORRY but the main reason people attack gay folks is because of SOME religions and the first amendment prohibits the "state" from favoring any one religion over another....it's that simple.

Old 03-07-2011, 10:59 PM

334 posts, read 188,507 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I don't think any of us are thrilled with this "group" of hatemongers. Maybe this will be the thread where most of us actually agree on something.

However.......I reluctantly agree with the court ruling in favor of free speech......no matter how obnoxious or offensive I myself find their words and behaviour.

The "Church" usually pickets Military Funerals and Gay Funerals...very despicable behaviour IMHO.

And NEWS FLASH.....Sarah Palin and myself are in complete agreement about how we feel regarding WestBoro Baptist.

Please keep in mind that as American citizens; we also have a right to COUNTER PROTEST the members of this "church", wherever and whenever they show up at funerals etcetera.

1st Amendment protects Westboro, Court rules | News Story on 365gay.com

Westboro Funeral Pickets Are Protected Speech, High Court Rules - FoxNews.com

Supreme Court: Anti-gay funeral picketers allowed - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110302/ap_on_re_us/us_supreme_court_funeral_protests - broken link)

Sarah Palin: Westboro Baptist Church Ruling Reflects Lack Of 'Common Sense & Decency'

I agree as well. Even though these people are a prime example of why you never leave a pile of swept up paint chips next to a bowl of onion dip when pregnant ladies are around.

Although I seriously do hope that one day these bastards will picket the wrong military funeral, being attended by an armed soldier with a short fuse.

Old 03-07-2011, 11:03 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,337,514 times
Throughout this thread, I have never argued that "Congress" ought to "make a law abridging" Fred Phelps' "freedom of speech."

Rather, I have called on all Americans who encounter the Westies to beat their brains out, tear up their signs, and run them the hell out of town.

No Constitutional issue involved. The SCOTUS can keep their dainty little skirts nice and clean, and get on with the important work of keeping that horrible Christian religion out of schools and ennabling the murdering of babies.

There comes a time when the law has become so enfeebled in dealing with evildoers that individual citizens need to exert themselves in its stead. That time is now.

Old 03-08-2011, 07:09 AM

31,387 posts, read 37,060,237 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yeledaf View Post
Rather, I have called on all Americans who encounter the Westies to beat their brains out, tear up their signs, and run them the hell out of town.

No Constitutional issue involved.
Well just the 4th, 5th, and 6th Amendments, which you are going to need in your attempt to stay out of prison.

Quote:
The SCOTUS can keep their dainty little skirts nice and clean, and get on with the important work of keeping that horrible Christian religion out of schools and ennabling the murdering of babies.
It would be refreshing if you would just wash your hands, open a book and read up on Constitutional law.

Quote:
There comes a time when the law has become so enfeebled in dealing with evildoers that individual citizens need to exert themselves in its stead. That time is now.
Au contraire, nothing proves the strength of the law as when rises to protect the most repugnant but legal acts of a nation's citizens.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies