Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Do You Think The Supreme Court Made The Correct Decision???
YES..... I reluctantly do! 58 69.05%
NO.....The "church" goes too far! 25 29.76%
I Have No Opinion on the ruling! 1 1.19%
I don't really care! 0 0%
Voters: 84. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:15 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times

Advertisements

Yes the supreme court made the correct decision. But what people need to do is form their own group and start protesting against Fred Phelps. Fight fire with fire.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 09:24 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bchris02 View Post
Its a great day for free speech and free religion. Though just about everyone can admit the Westboro message is disgusting, banning it would only open the door to ban other unpopular political or religious movements. Its a slippery slope that would be very dangerous for the survival of the First Amendment and freedom in America. I applaud the Supreme Court's decision.

P.S. If you want to stop the Westboro Church...COMPLETELY and TOTALLY IGNORE them. What they want is attention. If their message is falling on deaf ears, they will go away. Its that simple.

I agree ......ignoring them will help, but when they protest at funerals...I think the current approach will eventually deter them and they will go away.....you cannot completely ignore them during a funeral....without some help from The Angels, Patriot Guard and similar groups....who I applaud!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:27 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by harborlady View Post
What she's getting at is as Hitler rose to power no one seemed to stand up. Not the Churches, not the traditions of justice they had practiced for centuries. People ignored the law and let it all happen.

The same thing can be said for Equal Gay rights...IF anything some churches stir up the hatred and trouble with their rhetoric....so I fail to see your point....remember the Spanish Inquisitation....the Salem Witch Trials and the persecution and imprisonment of Gallileo.......all done by the Church in the name of religion.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 PM

20,169 posts, read 24,328,678 times
Here's Mr. Snyder's comment following the outrageous SCOTUS decision. He pretty much says what I did a few pages back. What do the eight justices care? It's not like they'll ever have scum like Phelps [i]descerating their families' memorial services....

The decision shocked Snyder. "It's easy for eight Justices to sit up there and take away your privacy rights when they'll never have to worry about that," he says. "No one will get three, five or 1,000 feet away from the funeral of anybody in their family. So it has no effect on them. It has no effect on the politicians, no effect on the celebrities. It has an effect on us, the everyday people. And now Westboro can pretty much do and say and act however they want. And there's not a damn thing anybody can do."

Read more: Snyder v. Phelps: Why the Supreme Court Ruled for Westboro - TIME

Old 03-03-2011, 09:37 PM

Ignoring them is totally absurd: you have to saliently disagree with the Fred Phelps group if you want to make movement here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I agree ......ignoring them will help, but when they protest at funerals...I think the current approach will eventually deter them and they will go away.....you cannot completely ignore them during a funeral....without some help from The Angels, Patriot Guard and similar groups....who I applaud!

Old 03-03-2011, 09:38 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
Yes the supreme court made the correct decision. But what people need to do is form their own group and start protesting against Fred Phelps. Fight fire with fire.
This is what has been going on since the beginning and this is what they want. The only way to deter them is to completely ignore them or completely block their audience's view i.e. the Patriot Guard. The counter protests do nothing but give them the attention and the spotlight they want.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:43 PM

How do you know it's public attention that drives their behaviors? Unfortunately, the gays do not have a NAACP or LULAC type group to go out on road trips and protest against the Fred Phelps group. The gays are just way too silent IMHO.

Quote:
This is what has been going on since the beginning and this is what they want. The only way to deter them is to completely ignore them or completely block their audience's view i.e. the Patriot Guard. The counter protests do nothing but give them the attention and the spotlight they want.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:49 PM

78,863 posts, read 46,617,602 times
They have the right to voice.

What they don't have the right to do is, the close proximity to disturb the dead.
no closer than 800 yards, to the actual grave site, would be a fair distance.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:49 PM

7,943 posts, read 17,252,682 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by artsyguy View Post
How do you know it's public attention that drives their behaviors? Unfortunately, the gays do not have a NAACP or LULAC type group to go out on road trips and protest against the Fred Phelps group. The gays are just way too silent IMHO.
What do you propose? At nearly every Westboro event there is a large counter-protest group waving rainbow flags shouting messages back across the street at them.

Fred Phelps is not a threat to gay rights. If anything his group is the one thing that can unite liberals and conservatives in favor of tolerance. The real threat to gay rights are politicians like Mike Huckabee and Jim Forrester and their evangelical base, the people who actually have the power to legally oppress homosexuals.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:56 PM

Each city can organize its own group to counter-protest whenever Westboro decides to arrive on the scene. No rainbow flags or shouting are necessary. Picket signs and peaceful people dressed in business casual are sufficient enough.

How does Mike Huckabee and Forrester have the power to oppress gays?

Quote:
What do you propose? At nearly every Westboro event there is a large counter-protest group waving rainbow flags shouting messages back across the street at them.

Fred Phelps is not a threat to gay rights. If anything his group is the one thing that can unite liberals and conservatives in favor of tolerance. The real threat to gay rights are politicians like Mike Huckabee and Jim Forrester and their evangelical base, the people who actually have the power to legally oppress homosexuals.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies