Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-03-2011, 09:19 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
The answer according to you righties is to Dictate not Negotiate, see the difference. Sure You do, you just agree with that tactic.
Casper
I'm not from WI but I can tell you that as a conservative I vote for people who I hope will not negotiate with corrupt labor unions. There's no reason to negotiate when one side is wrong.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 09:20 AM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
No. I'm saying state and local governments cannot afford to keep getting ripped off by the public employee unions, just like the federal government has known the same about federal workers and the federal budget, all along.
So te Repubs should negotiate a better deal for the state or do you believe that they are not capable of doing it?
Casper

Old 03-03-2011, 09:22 AM

Quote:
But the Repubs are in charge now, correct? So their answer is to Dictate since I suppose they do not know How to negotiate. If voters do not like how their elected officials do their job it is up to them to take responsibility for removing them. It does not matter how much a politician is getting from backers if the voters do not want them any longer. But I guess it easier to blame the unions instead of those they voted into office, a common problem in this country these days.
Casper
What if the voters who elected the current representatives don't want them to negotiate with unions. You negotiate when there are reasons to and both parties can benefit. There is no benefit to tax payers to negotiate with a labor union except for the small number of tax payers who are in the union.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:23 AM

Quote:
So te Repubs should negotiate a better deal for the state or do you believe that they are not capable of doing it?
Casper
They are, they're eliminating the union's power which benefits the state which is a good deal for everyone (except the union and it's bosses of course).

Old 03-03-2011, 09:24 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,205,160 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
See my post please but I must tell you that I agree and that conflict of interest and union effectiveness are serious issues. The problem for me, an average educated civil servant, is that we are not really seeing much of this money. We have received cost of living raises averaging .5% per year for the last fifteen years. Keep in mind, these raises are the only ones we get beyond a very limited pay scale / pay ceiling. We have also been furloughed up to 15% all thanks to our wonderful union. Me thinks they are paying themselves with our dues. BTW, those dues alone, are around $18 million a year statewide (CA). Lastly, I am not expecting one ounce of sympathy...just a fair and balanced argument which by gauging public sentiment, isn't going to happen anytime soon.
Were you furloughed because of the union, or because of the state budget crisis that forced you to take some compromises? Here's my point--if the employees don't get what they want, it's the union's fault. If they do, it's the union's fault. See the problem?

Old 03-03-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I'm not from WI but I can tell you that as a conservative I vote for people who I hope will not negotiate with corrupt labor unions. There's no reason to negotiate when one side is wrong.
Thanks for proving what I was driving at, the REPUBS are not willing to negotiate, Period. Time to start playing by the new right-wing rules, meaning playing hardball, as you can see the fight is spreading across the Nation and it is going to get very ugly. I doubt that is what the voters had in mind when they voted the Repubs into power, expect a major Backlash in 2012.
Casper

Old 03-03-2011, 09:28 AM

89,015 posts, read 44,824,472 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
That is not the question I am asking? Is the question really so difficult that you still don't get it? It shouldn't be.
Seems you don't get it.

States should heed the AFL-CIO Executive Council’s advice: “In terms of accepted collective bargaining procedures, government workers have no right beyond the authority to petition Congress — a right available to every citizen.”

Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Thanks for proving what I was driving at, the REPUBS are not willing to negotiate, Period. Time to start playing by the new right-wing rules, meaning playing hardball, as you can see the fight is spreading across the Nation and it is going to get very ugly. I doubt that is what the voters had in mind when they voted the Repubs into power, expect a major Backlash in 2012.
Casper
Do you even comprehend what the word negotiate means? This is exactly what I had in mind when I voted in 2008 and I'm very much enjoying the changes I see taking place, it's also quite entertaining watching the dems fight against the American people while trying to protect their special interest group money flow.

No longer will people of WI be forced to pay union agency fees to groups they hate and didn't join, this is about freedom and a person's right to work and earn a living.

Old 03-03-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
They are, they're eliminating the union's power which benefits the state which is a good deal for everyone (except the union and it's bosses of course).
Clue: That is NOT negotiating. If you think there will be no backlash by the voters you are drinking far too much of the Kool-Aid.
Casper

Old 03-03-2011, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Clue: That is NOT negotiating. If you think there will be no backlash by the voters you are drinking far too much of the Kool-Aid.
Casper
You keep bringing up negotiate over and over again, where in the constitution of WI or the USA does it say that the state has to negotiate with labor unions? You negotiate with someone when it can benefit both sides, there is no benefit to WI by negotiating with labor unions. Dems are crying about negotiating now because they see they're losing their power, you will lose this battle and it will cause other states to follow very quickly. Public sector unions hurt tax payers, period.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies