Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2011, 07:25 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by natalie469 View Post
She is also required to pass the Praxis 11 and to get her masters. These are the state requirements. But it's obviously different in each state. And in order to pass the major they are required to compile a professional portfolio which is assessed and evaluated throughout the program. My daughter has almost 500 pages in hers and she's not finished. They present it at the end of their last semester to the board of educators at the university. So it is definitely not easy in Maryland.
The state of Maryland doesn't require a masters in order to be a public school teacher.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2011, 07:33 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Wow, I am glad you asked. It turns out it is quite common, check out California retired tachers and how much they are pulling down!!!!!!

Number of $100,000 retirees skyrocket in teacher pension system - OC Watchdog - The Orange County Register

"The foundation initially obtained the data for its “CalSTRS $100,000 pension club” database in May 2009. Back then there were 3,010 retirees earning $100,000 or more annually from CalSTRS. Earlier this month, the foundation obtained updated data from CalSTRS and the number has grown to 5,308 (5,309 if you count one woman earning $99,998.88)."

"And that’s not all. The foundation, run by President Marcia Fritz, also requested a list of CalSTRS retirees earning $75,000 or more annually. Guess how many CalSTRS pensioners are earning between $75,000 and $99,999.99.
19,503."

And that is for retired teachers. Holy cow!!!!!!!!
I did the search on the people listed for Alameda Unified. Not one of the people listed retired as a teacher.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:34 PM

32,059 posts, read 15,040,845 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
The state of Maryland doesn't require a masters in order to be a public school teacher.

To initially teach you don't. But you have to get it within 10 years of graduating with a BS. They might have changed it to 5 but I think it's still 10.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:37 PM

19,890 posts, read 18,745,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
I did the search on the people listed for Alameda Unified. Not one of the people listed retired as a teacher.

It doesn't matter what position they retired from, they are drawing over 100K per year from the teachers retirement system.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:45 PM

8,949 posts, read 12,131,290 times
Re: Teachers making 100K....

So these are generally professionals with Masters degrees with about 25-30 years experience? And it looks like it comes out to a VERY small percentage of teachers nationwide. That doesn't compare very well to other fields with a masters and over 20 years experience. Not at all.

I am 37 years old with a Bachelors and make almost double what the highest paid teachers do.... It doesn't seem excessive to me that a small percentage of teachers with a masters and 25-30 years experience make 100k. The mean is still below 50K.

Seems to me like it's just in vogue and convenient to attack teachers... Sad. They do a difficult job and deserve our support, not our derision.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:52 PM

7,605 posts, read 4,842,742 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
It doesn't matter what position they retired from, they are drawing over 100K per year from the teachers retirement system.
But you finished your post with "And that is for retired teachers. Holy cow!!!!!!!!". My point would be how many of those drawing pensions over 100k worked as teachers or had their pensions determined by the time they spent as teachers. I just checked Alameda Unified's pay scale. The pay for a teacher with 27 years of experience ranges from just under 53k to 76,428.
Obviously other districts have different pay scales. I would suspect that most of the 100k+ pensions are not being drawn by teachers.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:55 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
SD - So you think new teachers are acting just like any privately employed middle manager. Why shouldn't they? Looking out for your self is the mantra of the conservative.

There's nothing wrong with looking out for yourself.

The difference is, however, that when the economy is bad for that privately employed middle manager, he doesn't always get that raise. He might even get a pink-slip. While nothing really ever changes for teachers - in the past they strike when they don't like how they're being looked out for. Which helps kids and parents alike.

I read an article a while ago, I have to find it, but I believe in 2009-2010 American professionals received an average 2.2% increase in salary. The average teacher, in the state the article was about (pretty sure it was Texas), received a 3.8% increase in salary.

Quote:
IMHO the society had a great deal when k-12 teaching was a ghetto occupied by women willing to accept low pay and respect.
What?

Quote:
Younger women, and men, are not a subservient, and desire to be treated and paid as educated professionals.
You're right. They feel more "entitled".

Old 03-03-2011, 07:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Re: Teachers making 100K....

So these are generally professionals with Masters degrees with about 25-30 years experience? And it looks like it comes out to a VERY small percentage of teachers nationwide. That doesn't compare very well to other fields with a masters and over 20 years experience. Not at all.

I am 37 years old with a Bachelors and make almost double what the highest paid teachers do.... It doesn't seem excessive to me that a small percentage of teachers with a masters and 25-30 years experience make 100k. The mean is still below 50K.

Seems to me like it's just in vogue and convenient to attack teachers... Sad. They do a difficult job and deserve our support, not our derision.

As I pointed out, a masters in education will only qualify someone to teach. If teachers are qualified to earn more in another field, go and enjoy.

Social work also requires a masters and these folks make even less than teachers. So what? Everyone knows what the educational requirements and compensation of their given fields going into them. You can't whine that it isn't good enough after the fact.

I am a pharmacist, I make more than some people and less than others. I knew going in what the educational requirements were and what the likely compensation was. After completing my studies I didn't complain that my job is tough and I don't make enough.

Finally, there is no other profession where you get the kind of job security tenure provides regardless of performance. Teaching is the only profession where failure is acceptable.

Old 03-03-2011, 07:57 PM

31,387 posts, read 37,032,019 times
I would love to hear from kids who were thinking about becoming a teacher, I'll bet the weeks groceries a lot are having second and third thoughts about going $50k plus in debt to become a political football (as it wasn't bad enough before).

Old 03-03-2011, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WilliamSmyth View Post
But you finished your post with "And that is for retired teachers. Holy cow!!!!!!!!". My point would be how many of those drawing pensions over 100k worked as teachers or had their pensions determined by the time they spent as teachers. I just checked Alameda Unified's pay scale. The pay for a teacher with 27 years of experience ranges from just under 53k to 76,428.
Obviously other districts have different pay scales. I would suspect that most of the 100k+ pensions are not being drawn by teachers.

Of course they worked as teachers, otherwise they would not be drawing a teachers pension.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies