Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 01:17 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
The $100,000 so called salary is misleading and you know it. Now you backpedal and claim you weren't trying to present it as salary, but as "compensation" give me a break.
LOL, you're making stuff up again. I never said it was salary ,follow along now:
Quote:
That's only salary. The pension and benefits jack it up at least another $30K. If the salary were adjusted for a full years work and we include the benefits the average teacher is making well over $100K.

LOL, it's right there a few posts up. Trolling?

---------

Quote:
Funny how when people talk about private sector jobs they never factor in vacation, holidays, benefits, etc.. as their salary. When people mention their salary they almost exclusively cite their paycheck.
Firstly there is very few people getting 30 to $40K in benefits so their isn't a whole lot of people out there to talk about them. Those do at least in my experience most certainly will mention it if they have very good benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 01:33 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,039,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanspeur View Post
How about a link to prove your assertions...Find your $30,000 figure for benefits hard to swallow.
Are you kidding me?

The average family health insurance plan in a Wisconsin districts is $1,680 per month or more than $20,000 a year.

http://www.wasb.org/images/stories/PDFs/collective_bargaining_data/1011%20Teacher%20Health%20Insurance%20Data.pdf (broken link)

Here's another interesting piece of information I just found.

Quote:
http://www.mackinac.org/14702

Also, in both states, teachers unions run their own health insurance companies — the Michigan Education Special Services Association was created in 1960 and the Wisconsin Education Association Trust in 1970. An estimated 64 percent of Wisconsin school districts buy WEA Trust coverage, and about 80 percent of Michigan districts get the insurance with a union label. Both unions relentlessly pressure local school boards to buy insurance from their subsidiaries — MESSA actually brags about how many districts suffered teacher strikes over whether to purchase its costly coverage (such strikes are now illegal in Michigan).
Not only are the unions pushing for these expensive plans but they are selling them.

Last edited by thecoalman; 03-04-2011 at 02:07 AM..

Old 03-04-2011, 02:03 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,277,661 times
Here's an intersting link:
Earn More! Average Teacher Salary in Minnesota, MN Teaching Salaries

Youtube is always better than facts, isn't it.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:47 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,345,485 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
A teachers job is to teach....what is the failure rate of teachers in MN?

What is an acceptable failure rate to people?

Should failing at your job be so handsomely rewarded?

Would people think it acceptable to reward bus drivers who failed to actually get the passengers where they were supposed to go?

What about parents?
Can we fail them?
They are usually the primary cause of failed students.

Public schools don't get to pick and choose their students.

Old 03-04-2011, 05:49 AM

6,734 posts, read 9,340,061 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
what about parents?
Can we fail them?
They are usually the primary cause of failed students.

+1

Old 03-04-2011, 06:24 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,978,549 times
I love how everyone is lambasting teachers these days. As if they're the problem with this nation. I hope all the people who despise teachers on here aren't planning on sending their children to school.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:25 AM

45,221 posts, read 26,431,296 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NorthGAbound12 View Post
I love how everyone is lambasting teachers these days. As if they're the problem with this nation. I hope all the people who despise teachers on here aren't planning on sending their children to school.
I guess you haven't been following along too well.
It's about the teachers union, not the profession.

Old 03-04-2011, 06:30 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
What would you pay them? Minimum wage with no benefits?
Well as they do such a poor job I would pay them less...

But then the idea of actually holding teachers somehow accountable for their job performance is wrong.

I would think that considering they do not work a full year(Summer vacation) that the pay should be much less.

Do you think $100,000 is reasonable?

Old 03-04-2011, 06:33 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
What about parents?
Can we fail them?
Parents aren't paid for failure,teachers are.

Quote:
So?

I understand the lefts obsessive need to defend teachers(unions and all) but poor job performance is poor job performance.

I am SURE if only a few billion more were thrown at the problem all those little morons would suddenly become geniuses....

Old 03-04-2011, 07:00 PM

90,297 posts, read 120,729,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Almost any private school will cost half what public schools cost.
Because: they don't have to provide special ed. If a student needs special ed of any kind, they will be counseled out. They don't have to deal with kids who are huge discipline problems. They don't pay their teachers as much, and some of them will retire on SS only and cost society more money.

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
That's only salary. The pension and benefits jack it up at least another $30K. If the salary were adjusted for a full years work and we include the benefits the average teacher is making well over $100K.
The pension is not money in the teachers' pockets, not until they retire with the appropriate amount of years of service. This "adjustment for a full year's work" is totally disingenous. They don't have the opportunity to teach for a full year.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies