Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 05:53 AM

7,214 posts, read 9,390,397 times

Advertisements

Yeah, does everyone forget that gas was over $4.00 just three years ago? It's not like this is some new phenomenon, but people and the media make it out like the apocalypse is coming.

I don't really get it. I guess it's because people fuel up so often in our society so they notice it more. It's not like other things haven't been going up in price, though.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 06:02 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
Yeah, does everyone forget that gas was over $4.00 just three years ago? It's not like this is some new phenomenon, but people and the media make it out like the apocalypse is coming.
Remember when Obamas gve everyone, what was it $7 a week in their paycheck in the amount of lower taxes, and everyone proclaimed this was going to save the economy and cause people to go out and "stimulate" the economy.. Well gas prices for most have gone up twice that I would guess.. Spend an extra $15-$20 a week, and thats an extra $1,000 a year coming out of your pocket. Multiple this by the number of americans and it is a substantial amount of money not stimulating..
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaseMan View Post
I don't really get it. I guess it's because people fuel up so often in our society so they notice it more. It's not like other things haven't been going up in price, though.
Other things have been going up because gas prices are.. How do you think they get things to the store to be bought, supplies to the manufacturing facility to build things.. All of those things have to be increased to pay for this increase, so not only are you losing $1,000 above directly due to fuel costs, but now the cost of everything else is going up as well because of it.. (and other reasons)

Old 03-08-2011, 06:08 AM

23,534 posts, read 17,208,400 times
Default Obama shoots a 3 pointer while America burns

Obama on tape saying energy prices will 'necessarily skyrocket' with his energy plan.

Obama was against drilling
Then he suddenly embraced drilling
Then Obama invested millions in Pertobras and deep water drilling
Then we had an oil spill in the gulf
then we had a drilling ban even though foreign rigs are drilling in the gulf

to say nothing of the court order that Obama chose to ignore, that ordered the feds to lift their ban and resume drilling

Obama wants the US to quit dependence on oil cold turkey without any vialbe commercial alternatives. This alone spellls economic disaster for the USA.

With Barack "no jobs" Obama in charge, who needs gas with no job to go to?

The Dems were raging against Bush when gas prices jumped but somehow Obama gets a free pass and is considered a bystander to a deteriorating US economy?

To embrace 4$ or 5$ gas is diagnostic that you are so far up Obama's butt, perspective is a distant memory.

Drill baby drill.....

Old 03-08-2011, 06:10 AM

5,696 posts, read 6,205,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I could have sworn I saw a blurb on my local TV news a week or two and Obama saying that American's will just have to "absorb" the costs of gasoline into their already tight budgets. Does anyone have a link to this quote? Anyway...we are headed to a breaking point. Obviously we haven't reached that point just yet.

Say "bye-bye" to that vacation we were going to take this year.

what the heck is a vacation, lol
I am almost 60 and am self-employed
I work almost 7 days a week trying to keep up with my morgage and health insurance
thanks to Obama it went up another $40.00
this is Jimmy Carter all over again, I still remember the long lines and folks running out of gas trying to buy gas on "their" day
you had to go even and odd
the strikes by the independent truckers
Obam makes Jimmy carter look good
most folks on here do not remember the days
Obama wants the prices to go up so he can push his bill crap wind program
he can shove one of those wind mills where ever it might fit~

Old 03-08-2011, 10:06 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,237,259 times
Well, I may have to cut fuel costs a bit and not take the yacht to Saint-Tropez next week, I guess the Caymans will have to do. Might also have to ground the G6 for my next trip to Rio and fly first class commercial. The Lambo Murcielago guzzles a lot of gas, so maybe I'll just cruise in my Tesla roadster.

Ahhh, the life of a CD poster! LOLZ

Old 03-08-2011, 11:15 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
I am now paying for a tank of gas roughly the same amount that I was paying when I lived in Switzerland in 1998. I could afford it then and I can afford it now.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:19 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I am now paying for a tank of gas roughly the same amount that I was paying when I lived in Switzerland in 1998. I could afford it then and I can afford it now.
What was the point of that response? Apples and oranges. Anyone working and living abroad would be paid in a different currency.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:20 AM

3,325 posts, read 3,168,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kentuckydad95 View Post
I could have sworn I saw a blurb on my local TV news a week or two and Obama saying that American's will just have to "absorb" the costs of gasoline into their already tight budgets. Does anyone have a link to this quote? Anyway...we are headed to a breaking point. Obviously we haven't reached that point just yet.

Say "bye-bye" to that vacation we were going to take this year.
Well, it's all for a good cause to whit; making "alternatives" the functional equals of oil.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:22 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
OK, unrest in the Middle East = higher crude oil prices = higher gas prices.

What part of this equation do we not understand. Yes I'm pissed at the 4 bucks a gallon and higher gas is heading to, just as I was pissed at it during the last administration.

Are the same people who supported GWB now angry at the same situation?

hmmmm.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:23 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by carterstamp View Post

Are the same people who blamed GWB back then now blaming Obama at the same situation?
Fixed that one for you kind sir.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies