Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-05-2011, 12:09 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,013,577 times

Advertisements

Missouri is considering lowering the Child Labor law to 14. They aren't talking about traditional jobs, like baby-sitting and paper routes, they mean salaried positions. The proposed law would also allow work to be done during school hours. I suppose we'll see middle-aged family providers duking it out with teens for jobs at Mickey D's.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 12:24 PM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightcrawler View Post
...................and he certainly didn't put us here to work 60 hours a day either.................hahahahahahahahah
It's only in recent times that people have the choice to work long hours or short hours. All through history, people worked sun up to sun down, just to survive. Back breaking, hard work. With little, if any, time for what they wanted to do. But they did it, because it's called "life".

We really are becoming a nation of veal calves.

Old 03-05-2011, 12:33 PM

13,601 posts, read 21,387,447 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
It's only in recent times that people have the choice to work long hours or short hours. All through history, people worked sun up to sun down, just to survive. Back breaking, hard work. With little, if any, time for what they wanted to do. But they did it, because it's called "life".

And I am sure those people wanted it that way right?

Damn washing machines, damn chain saws.....give them a bucket of soap and a axe and make them man up and woman up....

Old 03-05-2011, 10:01 PM

1,179 posts, read 1,405,136 times
If we were animals, born on the desert floor, mom would attempt to get us up and running or we would be eaten. The losers get eaten. Here, we have luxury; well we are living off of the capital of those who worked before us, we are robbing their labor and squandering it, we are good for nothing theives, that all the Marxists were at one time worried about. Luxury breeds indolence, laziness, trouble, etc. We are also robbing the labor of those who work now to let people set on their asses, if you are one of these ass setters, you are a thief; look in the mirror you will see a thief who takes the labor from someone else, who takes money from others who could spend it on themselves deservedly from their own labor-you should be eaten.

There was a racist song a few years back, but a few verses do apply, something like this, "3000 years ago a man came and said, pick up your shovels, load your asses, mount your camels, and I will lead you to the promise land, 3000 years after that man, another said, throw down your shovels, sit on your asses, light up a camel, this is the promise land"-that is what we are becoming, and nature will send predators to eat us. That super dud LBJ, I think was that second man and the rest of the country followed.

Old 03-06-2011, 02:28 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,517,133 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frank DeForrest View Post
Capitalism.
Competition for labor resources in a thriving free market made adverse working conditions obsolete, not unions and legislation.
Yeah right!

History of union busting in the United States - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 03-06-2011, 02:43 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,183,550 times
Me personally, i think that "hard work" is overrated. You do what you have to do...obviously. I work to live, not live to work. I've done well enough by living with that philosophy. Have i left a lot of money on the table? Yep! And i couldn't care less.

You have only this one life. If some of you want to put "he worked hard" on your tombstone, then be my guest. Won't be on mine, that's for sure. I'll see to that.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:20 AM

9,408 posts, read 11,927,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post

This is called 'progress' and it is a good trend. We still work too much of our lives away as it is.

Old 03-06-2011, 11:19 AM

11,431 posts, read 18,994,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
...and for that matter, why don't children work in factories?

...or why don't most employees go bankrupt from health care expenses?

History of the 40-Hour Workweek | eHow.com

The most important question:

Why do people whose parents benefited so much from union sacrifice and hard work hate unions so much?
Some Americans aren't happy unless they feel superior to others in some way, whether it is over the "minorities", "the gays" or "the unionists". they conveniently how they got to the 40 hour work week and all of the other benefits in the first place.

Old 09-26-2012, 03:21 AM

9,006 posts, read 13,832,678 times
I really don't know why people look at me with 2 heads when I say I work 70 hrs a week.

The problem I see working so many hrs....I get a bigger tax bill because it pushes me into a different tax bracket.
The goverment doesn't distinguish between someone making a certain amt with 2 jobs vs 1.
They should at least reduce taxes for people working 2 jobs.

Can someone answer this for me....
I'm an hourly employee. Why can't I sign a waiver stating I will work 70 hrs for one job,and exempt myself from overtime pay?
Meaning,why can't I work 70 hours for straight pay? Why are there laws that require overtime pay for any hours over 40?

Old 09-26-2012, 06:27 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,440,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
...and for that matter, why don't children work in factories?

...or why don't most employees go bankrupt from health care expenses?

History of the 40-Hour Workweek | eHow.com

The most important question:

Why do people whose parents benefited so much from union sacrifice and hard work hate unions so much?

Because Limbaugh and Fox News tell them to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies