Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 09:16 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,710,646 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
There is simply no evidence of that. Union membership is at historic lows and workers rights are stronger than ever.
Now explain the decline in wages. An average American household income has dropped since 2000 while corporate profits have been up by 60%, and the wealthiest Americans have seen their incomes rise. What exactly is strong, again?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 09:17 AM

2,593 posts, read 4,221,091 times
It would be nice if robotic technology evolved to where they could do many more jobs. A robot could work 130+ hours a week.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:24 AM

8,104 posts, read 3,930,377 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GregW View Post
The goal of the corporatists that have usurped power in this country is to return working conditions to pre depression levels in order to maximize their profits. They have managed to further that goal by sending investment and production to China and elsewhere that do not have any problems with unlimited work weeks, child or slave labor, killing people in coal mines, or any other of the abuses that make money.

WE not only need more powerful unions in this country we need to unionize the third world’s workforce. Until then we need to protect our domestic workers and industrial investors with countervailing tariffs set to eliminate the foreign advantages created by abusing their workforce. Without any price advantages even Wally World would have to buy American in order to sell American.
Spot on.

If you want to see what the corporate fascists wants, look no further than China where there are no pollution controls, minimum wage, health benefits etc.

They first pawned the line that they did it out of the goodness of their heart to raise china's standard of living and to give America cheaper goods but with no push for pollution control or any other of these measures, the reality can be seen clear as day.

Products are not cheaper here in the US and is a big lie, but the quality is worse. They pocket the difference.

I can bring up a list of historical tv prices going back to 1920 to today, and adjusted for inflation, we are still paying the same prices at each stage of technological development as we did from going from black and white tv's to color tv's and onto lcd tv's today.

They want it ALL

Old 03-04-2011, 09:24 AM

23,451 posts, read 23,792,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
In the summer I work more than 80 hours.
Ditto. I put in a bare minimum of 60 hours per week (we're open 12 hours per day, M-F). I usually work an hour or two longer than that, and put in anywhere from 2-10 hours on the weekend. Summer is much busier than winter, and I spend a lot more time catching up on paperwork after regular business hours.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:25 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,710,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sonnyd1963 View Post
I'm pretty sure Europe is just stupid and lazy.
Don't be so sure, or else you would be no different from the uninformed lunatics that are present virtually everywhere around the globe. And to provide you with a reality, one of the largest corporations I worked for, until recently, couldn't figure out whether we should enter any overtime or not (being in management, I was not eligible for overtime pay anyway, so it didn't matter to me). But, if one worked 60 hours, what exactly would be wrong with putting 60 hours instead of putting 40 hours? It was a challenging proposition for me as a Project Manager, which distracted from my job to somehow fitting the upper management's whim of ensuring no overtime showed up. Not an easy thing to do when dealing with time and cost management with teams scattered in four locations (one offshore contracting) and two countries.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:27 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,686,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Now explain the decline in wages. An average American household income has dropped since 2000 while corporate profits have been up by 60%, and the wealthiest Americans have seen their incomes rise. What exactly is strong, again?

Its the market in action. It was the unions demands for wages higher than the market indicated was appropriate that, in part, caused the near death of the auto industry.

Unions are not engines for social change, they are engines for union enrichment.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:29 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,686,094 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by txgolfer130 View Post
There were 22 hours of "golf work" last year.

The other hours were technically "leisure time".

But I sure do wish I could consider golf work...they pay would be a lot better as well!

If I got paid on the quality of my golf, I'd be broke!

Old 03-04-2011, 09:31 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,266,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Pretty hard these days to even get 40 hours in..average work week is at 34-35 hours.
Depends on what type of industry you are in. Forty hours is NOTHING in high-tech and financial services companies.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 AM

23,451 posts, read 23,792,574 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
Those laws that protect workers could and would quickly disappear if not for the constant presence of unions in this country.
What have you seen, heard or read that has led you to that conclusion? Please be as specific as possible - that's a remarkably bold claim, and if you want it to be taken seriously, you'll need to provide some pretty convincing evidence.

Old 03-04-2011, 09:32 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,266,956 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Do you consider golf work?
If you can make money doing it then it's work.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies