Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:12 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times

Advertisements

It's hard to be an efficient system when everyone demands the highest level of testing for every little thing. With a customer-service oriented society that litigates the second they don't get their way, it's hard to dole out the care appropriately without major CYA action.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 12:18 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
Yeah, but as far as the developed 1st world goes, no healthcare system wastes more on bureaucratic/administrative costs as the US healthcare system. We run the most inefficient and wasteful system out there. It's shameful. American should be the best, not the worst.
A lot of that is due to hospitals & insurance companies having to cover their butts because of the litigational buzzards are always circling overhead. Lawsuits alone shot up healthcare to the extreme levels we have (this is not to say that some lawsuits are not legitimate).

Old 03-04-2011, 12:27 PM

1,595 posts, read 2,987,422 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emeraldmaiden View Post
Not to be obtuse, but what has Chile to do with sub-Saharan Africa?
Thanks ^ . I was wondering about that too.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:34 PM

14,917 posts, read 13,099,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulldawg82 View Post
A lot of that is due to hospitals & insurance companies having to cover their butts because of the litigational buzzards are always circling overhead. Lawsuits alone shot up healthcare to the extreme levels we have (this is not to say that some lawsuits are not legitimate).
Not really. Medical malpractice constitutes a very small percentage of healthcare costs.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:35 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,921,045 times
Quote:
Not really. Medical malpractice constitutes a very small percentage of healthcare costs.
But its contribution to defensive medicine could be significant.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:38 PM

4,300 posts, read 4,408,318 times
Quote:
My sister is a doctor with her own practice and she says that up to half of her insurance costs deal with malpractice protection and that the only way for her to cover them is to pass it on to her patients (their insurance company - really). It is far more than a small percentage. There is also the preventative precautions by ordering extra tests, scans, appointments and medicines just to make sure a lawyer doesn't have even the slightest of an opening to introduce a malpractice.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:46 PM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:

That is such malarkey. A huge percentage of the testing I do is because I might have to some day prove out my thought process. Not because I really need the test to treat the patient.

Not to mention the courses in risk management we have to take. The multimillion dollar documentation systems we have to keep. The multilayered PI we have to do, etc, etc, etc.

That all adds up to big dollahs.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:49 PM

1,733 posts, read 1,822,243 times
I hope this will be helpful:

Old 03-04-2011, 12:51 PM

1,168 posts, read 1,244,494 times
I really wonder why it is a surprise to people that something that is ran by government is ran inefficient

Old 03-04-2011, 12:56 PM

13,778 posts, read 9,661,538 times
All of you in this thread who keep slamming the lawyers and malpractice insurance, I'd like to remind you that not one lawyer or judge has ever decided an award for malpractice. Awards in a malpractice suit are determined by a jury of peers. That's right, average citizens and your next door neighbor determine the amount of malpractice awards.

The point about future payments tied to the continued treatment of the litigant is also a reason for large awards due to the fact that no private insurance is available due to pre-existing conditions after the fact. If we had universal health care then the large sums awarded would go away for the most part as treatment would be provided by the system after the award.

As far as contributing to the practice of defensive medicine, that is a probability but not because of lawyers but because of doctors and medical institutions.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies