Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-04-2011, 08:32 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
Its 5 years in the NYC school system to get to 5 long. Those with no previous teaching experience have a stating salary that is based on how much education they have, which ranges from a base of $45,530 for someone with a bachelor's to $57,320 for someone with a bachelor's masters and 30 additional credits (1A). The other columns below 1a (1B, 2A down to 8B) are based off how much prior experience a starting NYC teacher has
WRONG.. its based upon how many CREDITS they have..not necessarily teaching
Salary Step Eligibility Requirements - Salary - New York City Department of Education is eligible for a salary step increase?
  1. Prior related non-teaching experience
Salary Step Eligibility Requirements - Salary - New York City Department of Education
  • Are eligible for salary step placement based upon both prior teaching experience and prior non-teaching experience for certain licenses (see below)
  • Automatically advance to the next salary step twice each year, in March and on their equate date
Their salary GOES UP TWICE A YEAR!!! From one level to another.. which means they START in the $60's, and within 2 years they can reach the 7B, 8A, 8B levels..

Their levels again START below the 5 year period and it GOES UP to the next level.. and this happens unitl they hit the 5 year period of teaching experience which they THEN get the bump.. Its like trying to educate my 7 year old...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 08:34 PM

3,502 posts, read 9,603,062 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
WTH do you think "qualifying prior professional experience" means?? I'll tell you. It means if a teacher comes in with any non-public school teaching experience, the district will evaluate it and determine if it QUALIFIES for salary credit. Teachers who come in from other public school districts automatically get the salary credit.

You are really embarrassing yourself....
Yup, private schools, catholic schools, universities, community colleges, and so on.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
WRONG.. its based upon how many CREDITS they have..not necessarily teaching
Salary Step Eligibility Requirements - Salary - New York City Department of Education is eligible for a salary step increase?
  1. Prior related non-teaching experience
Salary Step Eligibility Requirements - Salary - New York City Department of Education
  • Are eligible for salary step placement based upon both prior teaching experience and prior non-teaching experience for certain licenses (see below)
  • Automatically advance to the next salary step twice each year, in March and on their equate date
Their salary GOES UP TWICE A YEAR!!! From one level to another.. which means they START in the $60's, and within 2 years they can reach the 7B, 8A, 8B levels..

Their levels again START below the 5 year period and it GOES UP to the next level.. and this happens unitl they hit the 5 year period of teaching experience which they THEN get the bump.. Its like trying to educate my 7 year old...

Seriously?

Are you really this hard headed?

You have no idea. FYI, I know how to read one because I teacher Special Education in a public school and work on a salary schedule.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:39 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
The INCREMENTS hit at year 5..We arent discussing the increments.. we are discussing PAY BEFORE year 5.. again, go to BEFORE YEAR 5, and look at the salary ranges.. YES THERE are NUMEROUS salaries in the $70K range,

its not rocket science.. again go to row 7B, 8A, 8B and tell me what salaries you see? These are for people BEFORE they hit the 5 year increment
The only way you get to 7A or 7B is if you have 6 years of experience prior to becoming a NYC teacher, the only way you can get to level 8a or 8B is if you have 7 or 7.5 years of prior experience. All the education in the world isn't going to get you to the $70,000 mark as a starting salary as a NYC teacher unless you have 6 or 7 years of experience elsewhere.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ray1945 View Post
WTH do you think "qualifying prior professional experience" means?? I'll tell you. It means if a teacher comes in with any non-public school teaching experience, the district will evaluate it and determine if it QUALIFIES for salary credit. Teachers who come in from other public school districts automatically get the salary credit.

You are really embarrassing yourself....
WRONG again. PROFESSIONAL experience does not mean teacher.. It means PROFESSIONAL experience..

People with computer programming experience can teach computer programming WITHOUT a teachers degree, and use their PROFESSIONAL experience as a programmer to qualify.. I thought everyone knew this

I was discussing teaching business and I have no license.. I would have received credits because I run a BUSINESS.. and I would use my PROFESSIONAL experience as a BUSINESS owner to qualify for increases in pay. I would THEN have so many years to GET a teachers license.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The only way you get to 7A or 7B is if you have 6 years of experience prior to becoming a NYC teacher, the only way you can get to level 8a or 8B is if you have 7 or 7.5 years of prior experience. All the education in the world isn't going to get you to the $70,000 mark as a starting salary as a NYC teacher unless you have 6 or 7 years of experience elsewhere.
It doesnt have to be TEACHING experience.. and the increase takes place every 6 months.. You can start at 4A and in 6 months you'll be 4B, and then 6 months later 5A, and then 6 months later you'll be 5B.. etc.. up until you get the 5 years.. THEN you jump to the 5 year payscale when you hit 5 YR Long.. Its right there.. why is this so complicated to comprehend?

Old 03-04-2011, 08:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ibarrio View Post
You have no idea. FYI, I know how to read one because I teacher Special Education in a public school and work on a salary schedule.
I provided links to backup my claim from the NYC website. Are you claiming you know more about payscales of NYC then NYC does? Thats pretty good.. Maybe you should call them and tell them where they are wrong..

p.s. You've been tosd again.. enjoy

Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 PM

22,180 posts, read 19,449,121 times
Quote:
It doesnt have to be TEACHING experience.. and the increase takes place every 6 months.. You can start at 4A and in 6 months you'll be 4B, and then 6 months later 5A, and then 6 months later you'll be 5B.. etc.. up until you get the 5 years.. THEN you jump to the 5 year payscale when you hit 5 YR Long.. Its right there.. why is this so complicated to comprehend?
Someone with experience other than a teacher can qualify for the various steps (provided they meet certain requirements), but more often than not its prior teaching experience. My cousin has been a teacher for about 10 years (both in Queens and now here on LI)

Old 03-04-2011, 08:51 PM

14,480 posts, read 11,273,359 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Here I'll explain it as if I were talking to my young son. Fox News and the rest of us conservatives want the government to treat everyone equally. Taxing people more because they work harder and are therefore more well off is not equal treatment, to the contrary, It is punitive.
Following this line of thinking when it comes to public employee unions. The vast majority of us non-public union employees do not get the sweet benefits that are given to these people at our expense. The people in these public employee unions are receiving special treatment. See, no hypocrisy. In fact it's quite consistent.

Old 03-04-2011, 08:56 PM

Quote:
I provided links to backup my claim from the NYC website. Are you claiming you know more about payscales of NYC then NYC does? Thats pretty good.. Maybe you should call them and tell them where they are wrong..

p.s. You've been tosd again.. enjoy
you should call them, I know I'm right
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies