Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 01:11 AM

8,042 posts, read 12,258,176 times

Advertisements

I'm very much in favor of capital punishment ... but not too crazy about the way it's administered these days.

The death penalty used to be hangings, electric chairs, firing squads, gas chambers, etc. Now, it's lethal injection ... which is merely a shot in the arm. It basically is the same concept as putting a beloved pet to sleep. In that respect, today's version of capital punishment is no deterrent. Furthermore, a murderer isn't even given the death penalty until 10, 20, or 25 years AFTER the crime was committed!

Let the punishment fit the crime, and administer the punishment immediately after the person is found guilty ... not 20 years later!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2007, 07:17 AM

13,395 posts, read 45,013,307 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Valley Native View Post
I'm very much in favor of capital punishment ... but not too crazy about the way it's administered these days.

The death penalty used to be hangings, electric chairs, firing squads, gas chambers, etc. Now, it's lethal injection ... which is merely a shot in the arm. It basically is the same concept as putting a beloved pet to sleep.
Should executions once again become public spectacles?
Would that make them more of a deterrent?

Old 07-28-2007, 01:10 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,369 times
[quote=cil;1153115]Should executions once again become public spectacles?
Would that make them more of a deterrent?[/quote

Pay per view TV!

Old 07-28-2007, 09:41 AM

328 posts, read 1,033,972 times
Default Connecticut...........

Anyone who lives in or around Connecticut is familiar with the recent slaughter of a lovely family in Cheshire...A Mother and her two daughters murdered( prior to their murder they were raped and set on fire)The father who was knocked out due to being hit in the head with a baseball bat survived.
The two sweethearts who committed this heinous act were caught immediately. Here's what should happen but won't: They should be summairly executed within the week.....They are beyond a reasonable doubt guilty ! They both are career criminals......They are constitutionally incapable of redemption at least here on earth...Why waste money, resources and time on these vermin. Fry em'...................Inject em'........Gas em'.......Turn them out in population in prison...............Just get rid of them.....................
There are instances where the decision to execute is a no brainer....This is such a no brainer. This is a reason for Capital Punishment.
Spiritwalker

Old 07-28-2007, 10:48 AM

1,198 posts, read 1,530,015 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuke View Post
Texas, the home state of our beloved President Bush, executes lots of people. The deterrent value helps keep crime low in Texas.
Texas does more executions than any other state. So, don't commit murder in Texas. Their last execution (well, the last one I heard) was just last summer.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:15 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,367 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leana76 View Post
Texas does more executions than any other state. So, don't commit murder in Texas. Their last execution (well, the last one I heard) was just last summer.
Thats 18 or 19 so far this year Jan to Jul 2007.....

Old 07-28-2007, 11:24 AM

18,700 posts, read 42,048,659 times
Watched a movie, documentary and it was real. Wasn't in this country. The convict was setting in a chair facing the judge. He was handcuffed and shackled. The judge says, Do you have anything to say? The guy said no. The judge said, "I hereby sentence you to death." The jailer stepped forward, put a gun to the back of the guys head and pulled the trigger. Appeal? I don't think so. Burden to the taxpayers? I don't think so.

Now take that and put it on the 6 o'clock news.

Old 07-28-2007, 11:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shuke View Post
Texas, the home state of our beloved President Bush, executes lots of people. The deterrent value helps keep crime low in Texas.
I don't know where you get the idea that crime is low in Texas. Have you been to Houston ? The morning news will make you want to get out...

Old 07-28-2007, 11:53 AM

2,433 posts, read 6,676,591 times
I don't support the death penalty. I don't see any difference between a burglar killiing an innocent homeowner and the State killing someone using the death penality.

Old 07-28-2007, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I don't support the death penalty. I don't see any difference between a burglar killiing an innocent homeowner and the State killing someone using the death penality.
I don't really think it is the state, it's twelve people of the state on a jury and they are given a choice of giving the person death or life after the person is found quilty....the state is just doing what a jury has ordered the state to do...I see no problem with that....And just to let you know, that innocent dead homeowner had no choice but that dead murderer did.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies