Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-28-2007, 11:06 PM

3,352 posts, read 6,663,303 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by kate angels View Post
What you think about death punishment ? In the Poland is prohibit and how is in the USA?
I think our Constitution certainly allows for it, but I'm personally opposed to it. Two wrongs don't make a right. I also think it's part of being consistently pro-life to oppose it. And besides, how do you show killing is wrong by killing someone?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 01:44 AM

356 posts, read 1,179,647 times
[quote=famenity;1162176]
Quote:
Originally Posted by crashcop View Post

Quote:
If you are a cop, you have consolidated the opinion of every cop hater and disillusioned every cop respecter.
Retired after 25+ years, (3 college degrees & 4 national certifications), and entitled to my opinion. Executions should not be shrouded in secrecy, nor should any sentencing. That is what separates us from the old USSR. If you chose to watch a public execution, you should have that choice. I do not believe I would chose to do so, but at this point I do not have the option.

Until you have seen and cleaned up what some of the depraved individuals do to decent citizens, you should not judge me or any other officer. The normal law abiding middle class individual has no idea what goes on while he/she sleeps. And IMO, that is probably good.

I also still believe in the electric chair, "Justice, Regular or Extra Crispy?"

Last edited by crashcop; 07-29-2007 at 02:09 AM..

Old 07-29-2007, 05:11 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hawkeye48 View Post
I see no difference. Especially when the death penality juries are stacked to begin with.
Stacked ? Lets see here, both sides pick the jury members...If it's stacked the defence must have been asleep when they were picking the jury members.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:26 AM

420 posts, read 2,199,534 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
Stacked ? Lets see here, both sides pick the jury members...If it's stacked the defence must have been asleep when they were picking the jury members.
Nice rebuttal.

Moving on, I do not personally agree with the death penalty, but am willing to turn a shoulder to allow it. I think the point that life sentance prisoners are forced to listen to the Rosie O'Donnell talk show pretty much solidifies the fact that sometimes a life sentance is worse than the death penalty.

I should say that I'm 100% for life without parole. I think the idea of parole is usually a ridiculous one in many of these cases.

Old 07-29-2007, 05:33 AM

6,712 posts, read 13,460,010 times
I have mixed feelings about this topic so I usually don't find a need to really get into it. I think that, depending on the crime and the persons demeanor at a trial is what I would base my opinion of giving a person the death penalty. A perfect example is the Scott Peterson case. His overall demeanor and just downright snoodiness about the situation would have made me vote for the death penalty. Likewise I think a better situation to put someone behind bars for life is someone who shows remorse. But, I don't feel that way for the typical reason. Someone who shows remorse will rot away in prison for the rest of their life thinking about the act that got them there. That is a far worse punishment than death. At least it would be for me. A serial killer would feel no remorse and may even relish his actions in prison so I think they should be put to death.

Also, a wise lawyer once told me that if someone is in your house committing a crime you are better off beating them to death with a baseball bat than shooting them. The reason for this is that you can show indefinitely that they were close enough to you to be deemed a threat and at that point it is your story vs. the dead guys' story. So, the rule of thumb here is: Hit him with a baseball bat till he's dead and make darn sure he's dead. Shooting him with a gun can bring up to many questions over the actual "threat" to you.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:30 AM

2,137 posts, read 3,859,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
Gosh if he had just stuck in there "thou shalt not murder" instead that would have cleared up any chance of misinterpretation. God can be such a kidder sometimes.
Sorry, I miss your point. It is clear in the 10 Commandments that he is speaking to murder, not killing. Not the same thing at all.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:50 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,869 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by WallStreetWarrior View Post
Nice rebuttal.

Moving on, I do not personally agree with the death penalty, but am willing to turn a shoulder to allow it. I think the point that life sentance prisoners are forced to listen to the Rosie O'Donnell talk show pretty much solidifies the fact that sometimes a life sentance is worse than the death penalty.

I should say that I'm 100% for life without parole. I think the idea of parole is usually a ridiculous one in many of these cases.
In Texas we do not have life without parole, so even the worse of killers could maybe get out after only serving fourty years....And it has happened here only to have that killer to be released and to kill again...So if the death penalty will stop those that do this I will always support the death penalty.

Old 07-29-2007, 07:56 AM

2,096 posts, read 1,469,038 times
If the death penalty is in place and someone goes ahead and commits a crime worthy of the death penalty they have chosen to be put to death. They found their deviant acts to be more desirable than their life.

If the criminal is ok with choosing to commit a crime that would put them to death I'm not going to have a problem with it. So yes I believe in the death penality.

Old 07-29-2007, 09:51 AM

145 posts, read 519,396 times
I support the death penalty. When someone commits a heinous crime I believe they should die. My thinking is that if a person intended to kill another and the victim does indeed die then the death penalty is warranted. When someone commits a criminal act that leaves lives irrevocably maimed and changed, they should be executed. Child Molesters, Murderers, Rapists, 'Coyotes', Sexual Predators, and Repeat Drunk Driving offenders should be executed. Too often the criminal has more rights than the victim. Empathy and value for human life should give priority to the law abiding citizens not the criminal. Crimes worthy of the death penalty have left lives shattered because of the perpetrator's callous disregard for others. This makes the perpetrator 'broken' and unfix-able in my estimation. No one should play God with anothers life. Some of the crimes I feel are worthy of the death penalty may not have taken a life but the damage done leaves the life left unlivable. Criminals sentenced to death should not be afforded human rights and courtesies once proven guilty. Residents living on death row should be dealt with quickly and their appeals exhausted within a maximum of 5 years.

Old 07-29-2007, 10:32 AM

659 posts, read 1,374,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RebOver View Post
I support the death penalty. When someone commits a heinous crime I believe they should die. My thinking is that if a person intended to kill another and the victim does indeed die then the death penalty is warranted. When someone commits a criminal act that leaves lives irrevocably maimed and changed, they should be executed. Child Molesters, Murderers, Rapists, 'Coyotes', Sexual Predators, and Repeat Drunk Driving offenders should be executed. Too often the criminal has more rights than the victim. Empathy and value for human life should give priority to the law abiding citizens not the criminal. Crimes worthy of the death penalty have left lives shattered because of the perpetrator's callous disregard for others. This makes the perpetrator 'broken' and unfix-able in my estimation. No one should play God with anothers life. Some of the crimes I feel are worthy of the death penalty may not have taken a life but the damage done leaves the life left unlivable. Criminals sentenced to death should not be afforded human rights and courtesies once proven guilty. Residents living on death row should be dealt with quickly and their appeals exhausted within a maximum of 5 years.
After reading stuff like this, we should ask, can such American's take to task for any behavour at all any other culture at any time in history.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies