Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 11:45 AM

1,394 posts, read 2,770,869 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by famenity View Post
After reading stuff like this, we should ask, can such American's take to task for any behavour at all any other culture at any time in history.
You worry about British culture and we will worry about American culture. And if you take the time to check "any time in history" I think you will find that England does not always have the best track record !
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-29-2007, 12:08 PM

659 posts, read 1,374,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by texanborn View Post
You worry about British culture and we will worry about American culture. And if you take the time to check "any time in history" I think you will find that England does not always have the best track record !
Couldn't agree more texanborn, shame not to learn from experience though isn't it?

Old 07-29-2007, 12:21 PM

1,833 posts, read 6,426,798 times
Quote:
Couldn't agree more texanborn, shame not to learn from experience though isn't it?
Let's see first I like Brittan (England), but you can be a bit snobby as a country from time to time.

Yes you should learn from your mistake and just HOW LONG did it take Brittan to do that? 400, 700, 1000 years? I mean you've been around a while right? What's the US? 230 years old ... seem we're further down the civilized path than Brittan was at 230 years old, don't you think?

While the US still has the Death Penalty, we don't have Big Brother watching our every move as they do in parts of England, I mean jeez even the Bobby's are wearing cameras now.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Yours or ours ????????

Old 07-29-2007, 12:49 PM

5,407 posts, read 7,794,780 times
I understand all the arguments about the cost of executions and how capitl punishment devalues human life. If somebody did something horrible to one of my kids though I would want that person dead. I don't care a damn about deterrence. It would in that case be about closure for me and justice (or revenge if you will) for my kids. I think family members of these tragedies should be given that. I think it should only happen when the proof is overwhelming, with DNA testing for example.

Old 07-29-2007, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bily4 View Post
I understand all the arguments about the cost of executions and how capitl punishment devalues human life. If somebody did something horrible to one of my kids though I would want that person dead. I don't care a damn about deterrence. It would in that case be about closure for me and justice (or revenge if you will) for my kids. I think family members of these tragedies should be given that. I think it should only happen when the proof is overwhelming, with DNA testing for example.
Bily4, you're sounding a little Republican there....LOL...But what really devalues human life is someone comes into your home and kills you for your toaster and tv....

Old 07-29-2007, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Yours or ours ????????
Both I should say texanborn, we've nothing to be proud of in this respect, if we take it as read that there is nothing genetic in the equation, and since different countries and cultures have differing experiences that is probably true, it must point to something we are doing wrong in our upbringing of children.

Lets try and sort it out?

Executions merely stoke the fire and pander to the natural hatreds that are exercised by having a revengeful system.

People around the world are suprised when retaliation is practised by others yet hold this emotional response dear themselves.

Old 07-29-2007, 01:25 PM

Quote:
Both I should say texanborn, we've nothing to be proud of in this respect, if we take it as read that there is nothing genetic in the equation, and since different countries and cultures have differing experiences that is probably true, it must point to something we are doing wrong in our upbringing of children.

Lets try and sort it out?

Executions merely stoke the fire and pander to the natural hatreds that are exercised by having a revengeful system.

People around the world are suprised when retaliation is practised by others yet hold this emotional response dear themselves.

It has nothing to with revenge or hate, it has to do with punishment. You need to talk to your Queen about this and not me because you will never change my mind on this. We are not England and one goverening body does not make all of our laws for us as your's does...

Old 07-29-2007, 01:36 PM

Quote:
It has nothing to with revenge or hate, it has to do with punishment. You need to talk to your Queen about this and not me because you will never change my mind on this. We are not England and one goverening body does not make all of our laws for us as your's does...
Punishment surely has to do with improving the behavoir of a wrongdoer, hardly the outcome of the death penalty.

The Queen (historical) and our laws form part of your laws and I'm sure there is a reciprical.

Old 07-29-2007, 02:14 PM

Quote:
Punishment surely has to do with improving the behavoir of a wrongdoer, hardly the outcome of the death penalty.

The Queen (historical) and our laws form part of your laws and I'm sure there is a reciprical.
I would say that the death penalty improves the behavior of a wrongdoer quite well....If you go read our Constitution and Bill of Rights you will find that it was written to protect us from a Monarch form of government.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies