Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 02:11 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post

We've had this conversation before. You think that somebody with a higher annual income than about 98% of the rest of the country is middle class. I disagree. But heck, how about keep all income taxes the same, but raise them slightly above the Clinton levels for those making, say $2 or $3 million per year in income?
I imagine you also believe someone living in LA or NYC is considered rich b/c they make $250k.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 02:20 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,112,361 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Oh really? Because I know of some steady right wing posters here that have admitted over the years to being on Medicaid, to having a household income in NYC of $60K, to being a janitor, to not being able to afford health insurance.
Some of the most misinformed right wing lemmings on the board would greatly benefit from higher taxes on the rich, spent on humane social programs.

You think I waste my time all day shooting down these softballs from rich, educated GOP elites?....LOL

Nope. For the most part these are the lower intellect, elderly, Fox Viewers that fell for right wing propaganda designed to divide Americans along racial and cultural lines. They don't have the IQ to vote in their own self interest. And they live on limited incomes.
I don't fit your little description there, and there are many others like me, so you can eat your rude words.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:27 PM

8,182 posts, read 9,214,487 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
NEWS FLASH-NEWS FLASH Retirement ages changed in 1983 law. [yes, the law was changed 28 years ago, sponsored by DEMOCRAT Senator Moynihan, NY]
If you were born in 1943 to 1954 you can not received full benefits until you are 66 years of age.
If you were born in 1960+ YOU CAN NOT RECEIVE FULL BENEFITS UNTIL YOU ARE 67 years of age.
socialsecurity.gov
I liked Moynihan, is was a realist.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:36 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
What the GOP cannot stand, is that there is a huge Soc Sec Trust, that their buddies are not able skim from. They just want to maneuver until they can turn that over to their "experts" to control. Of course, these are the same "experts" that nearly drove the Country off a cliff. If they can extend the time til people make claims on it, that just makes the Trust amount bigger and easier to pilfer from. Soc Sec has nothing to do with the deficits, at least for another 25 yrs anyway. It's just a source of income for the few people the GOP represent.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:42 PM

9,891 posts, read 10,825,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Congratulations all you age age 50 and below folks.

You voted the GOP in. You'll likely be working to age 70 now before your benefits kick in.

This amounts to a 15% cut in your benefits.

John Boehner: Raise Social Security Retirement Age to 70 - Political Hotsheet - CBS News

Man I hope you don't lose your job when your 65? Do you think companies like to hire 65 year olds?

Do any of you have kids? How are you able to look them in they eye?

* SS is a well managed program . It only has a 1% administrative costs.
* It has a small long term deficit that could be corrected with minor tax increases.
* The small deficit that it does have is almost a non-factor in the budget deficit. Cutting your benefits will barely make a difference in the deficit.

[The stupidity of the average American voter should be studied by poltical scientists the World over. It's epic in proportions.]
Are you kidding me?!? Its just the beginning wait until they actually start to make the reforms necessary in Medicaid. This is exactly what needs to happen , what are you talking about with kids .........I tell my young boys don't count on the government, if and when you get the opportunity to opt out do it! Wake up stop thinking about how soon you can retire and go out and be part of the solution.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
What the GOP cannot stand, is that there is a huge Soc Sec Trust, that their buddies are not able skim from. They just want to maneuver until they can turn that over to their "experts" to control. Of course, these are the same "experts" that nearly drove the Country off a cliff. If they can extend the time til people make claims on it, that just makes the Trust amount bigger and easier to pilfer from. Soc Sec has nothing to do with the deficits, at least for another 25 yrs anyway. It's just a source of income for the few people the GOP represent.
Tell me more about this trust fund, where is it, how much is in it and what is it invested in?

Old 03-05-2011, 02:47 PM

16,956 posts, read 16,758,329 times
It's good most 70 year olds love oatmeal since they won't be getting social security until then....

Old 03-05-2011, 02:47 PM

6,864 posts, read 12,080,222 times
Social security trust fund????? Are there people on here that actual believe that there is money in a 'trust' fund? There isn't one dollar in the 'trust fund'. When you receive a pay check and you see the FICA deduction, that money goes directly to the U.S. Treasury and NOT to any 'trust fund'. The 'trust fund' consists of a file cabinet at the SSA filled with I.O.U's.
I also find it amazing to see how many people don't know that the retirement age for full benefits of people born after 1959 have to be 67 years old.

Old 03-05-2011, 02:57 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,980,467 times
Wall St. Journal Poll just out.

77% of Americans find cutting SS benefits to lower deficit UNACCEPTABLE

ThinkProgress » Americans Overwhelmingly Support Millionaires Surtax To Tackle Deficit, Reject Cuts To Social Programs

Yet when asked about the letting the Bush tax cuts expire on income over $25Ok to help lower the budget defecit?

68% say raising their income tax is totally acceptable or mostly acceptable.

What greater proof do you need to know that the all of the GOP, with help of spineless Democrats (Obama, Blue Dog Dems) are not working in your best interest?

The only faction in Congress fighting for the your side in these matters are liberal Democrats.

Last edited by padcrasher; 03-05-2011 at 03:16 PM..

Old 03-05-2011, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4g4m View Post
Social security trust fund????? Are there people on here that actual believe that there is money in a 'trust' fund? There isn't one dollar in the 'trust fund'. When you receive a pay check and you see the FICA deduction, that money goes directly to the U.S. Treasury and NOT to any 'trust fund'. The 'trust fund' consists of a file cabinet at the SSA filled with I.O.U's.
I also find it amazing to see how many people don't know that the retirement age for full benefits of people born after 1959 have to be 67 years old.
Yep, here is that Trust Fund! I feel so secure!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies