Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 12:39 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,446,589 times

Advertisements

I mourn and remember the events every September 11th. This year will not be different.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 01:13 AM

24,508 posts, read 33,295,278 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Fine, I'll replace it with 220,000+ US dead in Viet Nam; well over 1,100,000 wounded.
Better?
Still wrong. First it was about 58,000 dead and it didn't happen in one day.

Old 03-06-2011, 01:23 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,179,016 times
I refuse to bow down to the cult of 9/11 memorializing. We got sucker punched, and it hurt and sucked real bad. But time moves on, and i move on with it. Everytime i see the footage, it just makes me angry as hell, but since we can't really do anything about it, i've learned to just put it in the back of my mind and chalk it up to a world gone momentarily crazy on that day.

So in truth, i don't plan on doing anything.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:43 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
We do, every year. We celebrate with many people we love that escaped with their lives. And we mourn our friends who didn't............
Same here. We observe the moments of silence, and we have a memorial service for our dead. Prefer to be with other survivors that day rather than stay home from work, too.

We also remember 2/26/1993.

The National 911 Memorial will open on the anniversary this year.

It was a bad day, for sure, and in recent memory, but I wouldn't agree that it's the worst day in US History. September 17, 1862, at Antietam comes to mind, among other days.

Old 03-06-2011, 05:52 AM

88,509 posts, read 84,688,123 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sawdustmaker View Post
I revised my post.

Where do you live? Where were you on 9/11/01? I never said I was the only voice for the tri-state area.

The "facepalm" guy is just some random pic you have over-used? Thought it was from star trek. I hate science fiction, so I apologize for assuming, I guess I really wouldn't know.
In general, it absolutely does affect the people in the tri-state area far more than those in other parts of the country. I guess that would be expected.

In addition to the overall WTC survivors organization, there is a separate group for the 9/11 survivors who were in the Marriott (3 WTC), since most of them were from out of town. Some had difficulty back in their hometowns because while the cleanup and recovery operations and other aspects of the aftermath were everyday news in the NY metro area, it soon faded in most other parts of the country and those people had a hard time finding others to relate to, so they kept in touch for support via that group.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:58 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,271,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
No. Your facts are way off. 56,000 Americans were killed in Viet Nam. About the same as one three day battle in the Civil War.
Yep, you're absolutely right, I quoted the wrong link.
America's Wars: U.S. Casualties and Veterans — Infoplease.com
58k+ dead; over 153k wounded.

Everything I checked said over 58K dead.

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-06-2011 at 07:29 AM..

Old 03-06-2011, 07:06 AM

93 posts, read 115,960 times
I don't really like to rank stuff like this - or say which was the worst, or turn things into a competition

I lost someone that day. It still fills me with a horror that other things don't, a combination of personal loss, the unexpectedness of it, and the visual aspect burned into my mind. Some atrocities aren't visible to us at all, never mind visible in such a shocking and visceral way

I'll go to the lake near my house, its where I go when I find myself thinking about this a lot

Old 03-06-2011, 07:20 AM

694 posts, read 745,124 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kangrui View Post
Why are so many people writing other tragedies? I did not see that question in the OP. I don't know what I'll be doing on 9/11 yet, and I really do think it was the worst day in modern history.
Then you don't know how conversations work. Not many conversations stay on topic very long.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN

Old 03-06-2011, 08:31 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by liebknecht View Post
So how exactly is that a liberal lie?
Because the liberals are the one who started it and keep bringing it up....without paying any attention to their liberal comrades who VOTED FOR the war, before they didn't...and then made up all kinds of crap to disparage GWB. While decades of how much of a "threat" and how many "WMDs" Iraq had...is on record. All because they knew, they KNEW none of their ilk would EVER research how they voted and how vehemently they too, "knew" Iraq was an issue, had the same intel that showed SH had WMDs, and SH was a loose cannon.

Care to take Kerry, Clinton, H. Clinton, Gore, Kennedy, Pelosi, Feinstein...word for word...and question what they said in the past, until they pretended they never said it? All for an election to be won by votes for the sheep who fell for their lies.

Y'all just pass over that. Like they NEVER said what they said and supported what they supported.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:34 PM

10,181 posts, read 10,252,518 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
No, and it's not a lie.
Just because you don't like the truth, doesn't mean that it isn't true.
Your version of "the truth" vs. what?

Quote:
There are a lot of things worse than Sep 11.
As you were already told: stop interpreting the OP and shoving WORLD history in a thread where American history was the issue.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies