U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:30 PM

34,602 posts, read 43,736,093 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spokanejobseeker View Post
I vote for Baby Boomer euthanasia. That would save a lot of money wouldn't it? Social Security problem solved. And if any of you Boomers feel entitled to Social Security money let me go ahead and remind you of the things you've already received:

An Economy at its Pinnacle Paid for by the Blood of Your Parents in WWII

All that Money You Already Received from Refinancing your $50 K home for $200 K, and then $250 K, and then $300 K and then.......I mean home values in America always go up right?
Nope, didn't do that.

Lets not forget your failure to follow in your parents foot steps. I guess service and duty to your country wasn't for you?
Viet Nam was the war Boomer's were drafted for

What about all that money you saved by outsourcing jobs overseas.......yeah that was a practice started by Baby Boomers.
Not unless Baby Boomers were in charge of companies in the 1950s when outsourcing started.

Oh yeah, back to duty to country. Even though it wasn't good for you, your freedom is currently paid for by the blood of your children who fight a determined enemy on two fronts. Those children who you say need to get off their butts, get a job, and stop being so entitled.
See above about draftees.

I wouldn't actually say that, I'd say you should stop your incessant whining. Your generation isn't the first to have to weather a recession (you'll minimize this but the the Boomer's went through 4 from 1968 to 1982. Each successively worse than the previous one).

You might have concentrated in college on what was employable and not what made you feel good. All the while driving your Boomer parents into debt while you found yourself. And while you were at it maybe figured out that A. no one can really predict what will be required in 10 years and
B. nothing lasts forever.

I'm going to have to tell my 27 year old daughter that the Gen Y "experts" (not a compliment for those of you who can't catch nuance) on C-D have decreed that a single person her age can't afford to buy a house. She just did, with no help from her parents. Except a good upbringing and an inculcation of the values of hard work, no whining, and no excuse making.

Oh yeah, she's an Art major.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 08:48 PM

5,343 posts, read 4,511,456 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
You might want to include boomers as well. They are just starting to hit 65 this year.
No way is there enough SS for the largest generation to start retiring.
Let' not forget that the social security tax increases and other changes made in 1983 would have paid (and actually did pay for) 100% for the entire retirement of the Baby Boom. Over $2.5 trillion was paid by Americans in excess of social security costs since 1983. If you worked during those years as I and my spouse did, you already paid for your retirement.

Too bad Washington politicians stole all $2.5 trillion in the hypothetical "Social Security Trust Fund" and replace it with non-negotiable securities that are worth exactly the same as if they did not exist. Last year was the final year that SS taxes exceeded outgos, and from now on we'll have raise taxes, reduce benefits, or borrow more money and pay even more interest, for increasing social security costs.

This is a crime of the highest order by those we citizens gave great power to, and we should all support a civil action class-action suit brought against all the politicians who were in power during the years that the Social Security funds were stolen (and spent on other government spending like multiple foreign wars). They should be held personally responsible for the entire $2.5 trillion, and since they are all filthy rich thanks to their government positions handing out our money. The legal system (if it wasn't as corrupt as Washington) should immediately confiscate all their assets (as well as that of all their family members, where they will hide their wealth).

At the same time that the civil case is winding through the courts, we need criminal charges of grand theft, as well as treason against America. All those politicians should be in jail to prevent their fleeing the country and enjoying their stolen wealth overseas. The death penalty for all of them for treason would be a major victory for all Americans, though of course the corruption of our political leadership is so pervasive that no hope exists.

Any lawyers want to bring charges and share 1/3 of the $2.5 trillion judgement?

Old 03-16-2011, 10:10 PM

470 posts, read 948,345 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by North Beach Person View Post
I wouldn't actually say that, I'd say you should stop your incessant whining. Your generation isn't the first to have to weather a recession (you'll minimize this but the the Boomer's went through 4 from 1968 to 1982. Each successively worse than the previous one).

You might have concentrated in college on what was employable and not what made you feel good. All the while driving your Boomer parents into debt while you found yourself. And while you were at it maybe figured out that A. no one can really predict what will be required in 10 years and
B. nothing lasts forever.

I'm going to have to tell my 27 year old daughter that the Gen Y "experts" (not a compliment for those of you who can't catch nuance) on C-D have decreed that a single person her age can't afford to buy a house. She just did, with no help from her parents. Except a good upbringing and an inculcation of the values of hard work, no whining, and no excuse making.

Oh yeah, she's an Art major.

I concentrated in college with a degree in Business Management. Did my parents pay for it? No, but my Uncle Sam did.

Glad to hear your daughter owns her own home. I'm happy to say I own my own home as well. I can also boast that I own my own golf course which I guess my degree is helping with.

Now I have to laugh at every Boomer who mentions hard work. YOU INHERITED AN ECONOMY!!!! I can't say it any louder. And I love when Boomers or Xers mention how they endured a recession too. I'm no expert, but according to Forbes this is the worst recession since the Great Depression. Kind of makes me look at your recession from 1968 to 1982, *snickers*, and say big deal.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:27 PM

11,456 posts, read 12,937,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
There is no money. Paying into social security was never a guarantee that you would receive a check. If there was an income guarantee there is no way that Bill Clinton would have allocated that money to other things.
You relinquish your right to SS and Medicare right? I'm safe in assuming you've already done your part and let them know you won't be needing these two programs?

Old 03-16-2011, 10:32 PM

9,880 posts, read 9,207,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
You relinquish your right to SS and Medicare right? I'm safe in assuming you've already done your part and let them know you won't be needing these two programs?
No, I would love to get my government retirement check but I am a realist and know that I will never get my promised SS check.

Old 03-16-2011, 10:38 PM

7,303 posts, read 6,643,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jessi1 View Post
I'm a generation Y'er and for all of those who think that my generation does nothing but sit on their butts and live at home with their parents is hugely mistaken. All the people I know that are gen Y'ers have jobs or are currently in school. I have found that there are far more generation X'ers that are on drugs, live at home with their parents, and suck off of society. As a generation Y'er I have worked since I was 14. I have never asked nor expected anyone to "give" me anything. I feel that another huge sacrifice society and hard working AMERICANS are paying for are these (not all but some) boomers who were given everything as they went to woodstock etc. and burnt their brain cells and are now going into nursing homes cause they never got out of that "hippie" stage and can no longer do for themselves, so us hard working AMERICANS are paying for you
Wrong the woodstock generation is now running your life. They call themselves the democratic party now. just look at their members and past and present czars, get a clue

Old 03-16-2011, 11:10 PM

5,721 posts, read 5,592,630 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Ironic .. those who paid in the most (boomers), will end up not getting anything ..

As for the Xer's, and Yer's? .. heh .. they might actually have to innovate and/or learn critical thinking on the fly in order to survive ..
lol... the Boomers' "innovation" got us Xers and Yers into this recession, if that is "innovation" we'd rather not follow that example

Old 03-16-2011, 11:16 PM

16,434 posts, read 19,506,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
Yes .. They might actually have to get off of their dead asses and go out and "find a job"
They might have to actually pay off their student loans.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:21 PM

16,434 posts, read 19,506,643 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hawkeye2009 View Post
Correct-

We only have to look at Wisconsin to get a pre-view of all the hell raising that will go on when everyone realizes they have been "had" by a giant Ponzi scheme and will get next to nothing in benefits. Isn't liberalism a wonderful thing?
I measure the protesters in Wisconsin by the 50 Japanese men sacrificing their lives to save their nation. We are pathetic.

Old 03-16-2011, 11:25 PM

7,303 posts, read 6,643,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
I measure the protesters in Wisconsin by the 50 Japanese men sacrificing their lives to save their nation. We are pathetic.
you have no right to say that you dont have a clue, not a clue
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies