Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 09:44 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,738 times

Advertisements

Searchers angry at CA family in missing girl case - U.S. news - msnbc.com

This girl's mother married a Muslim, so the girl is not even Muslim at all, yet her Muslim stepfather had arranged to sell her in "marriage" to a Pakistani. The girl is only 13 but had the sense enough to run and hide.

I hope the mother and the stepfather will be prosecuted and sent to jail for attempted rape/sex trafficking.

Unbelievable. I wonder how many times this happens in our country to unsuspecting young girls, and we never hear about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 09:47 PM

4,003 posts, read 10,842,401 times
Throw the book at them! I am glad the daughter had the foresight to leave, and then received national attention which should greatly deter this from happening to her.

Old 03-05-2011, 09:48 PM

13,285 posts, read 15,308,502 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
This girl's mother married a Muslim, so the girl is not even Muslim at all,
LOL WUT???

How do you know what religion the girl is? How do you know what her personal beliefs are?

What do her beliefs have to do with who her mother married?

EDIT: Disclaimer: I do not support arranged marriages

Old 03-05-2011, 09:55 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:

This girl's mother married a Muslim, so the girl is not even Muslim at all, yet her Muslim stepfather had arranged to sell her in "marriage" to a Pakistani. The girl is only 13 but had the sense enough to run and hide.

I hope the mother and the stepfather will be prosecuted and sent to jail for attempted rape/sex trafficking.

Unbelievable. I wonder how many times this happens in our country to unsuspecting young girls, and we never hear about it.
You should read this book it is the story of Nujood Ali a courageous little girl.
I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced
Unfortunately, Ali's story is far from unusual. Half of Yemeni girls are married off before they hit 18; over a quarter are younger than 15 -- by the time a girl hits high school age, she's already starting to look less marriageable.
These early marriages are deemed desirable to fend off the possibility that a girl might "shame" her family by getting involved with a boy and as a financial arrangement by poor families. While in cases like Ali's the husband often promises the parents he'll wait to have sexual intercourse until his bride is older, if he goes ahead and rapes his new wife, there's nothing stopping him. Last year, a 12-year-old Yemeni girl died in labor, her immature body not ready for pregnancy.
Married at Age 8, Divorced at 10: Story of an Empowered Child Bride | Change.org News

Old 03-05-2011, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miborn View Post
You should read this book it is the story of Nujood Ali a courageous little girl.
I Am Nujood, Age 10 and Divorced
Unfortunately, Ali's story is far from unusual. Half of Yemeni girls are married off before they hit 18; over a quarter are younger than 15 -- by the time a girl hits high school age, she's already starting to look less marriageable.
These early marriages are deemed desirable to fend off the possibility that a girl might "shame" her family by getting involved with a boy and as a financial arrangement by poor families. While in cases like Ali's the husband often promises the parents he'll wait to have sexual intercourse until his bride is older, if he goes ahead and rapes his new wife, there's nothing stopping him. Last year, a 12-year-old Yemeni girl died in labor, her immature body not ready for pregnancy.
Married at Age 8, Divorced at 10: Story of an Empowered Child Bride | Change.org News
Where is NOW? Where are all the feminist groups? When anyone asks me why I no longer describe myself as a feminist, it's because I'm disgusted by their cowardice.

Old 03-05-2011, 10:08 PM

12,669 posts, read 20,449,229 times
Quote:
Where is NOW? Where are all the feminist groups? When anyone asks me why I no longer describe myself as a feminist, it's because I'm disgusted by their cowardice.
I agree!

Old 03-05-2011, 10:11 PM

11,466 posts, read 19,353,683 times
I'm just glad the girl had the sense to run away.

Old 03-06-2011, 06:51 AM

24,417 posts, read 23,070,474 times
The girl needs to be taken out of that warped and twisted household and put in protective child services or in the care of a relative. The courts can determine if her stepfather needs to be deported as an undesirable or if any crime has been committed by him or her mother. The mother might have been abused as well for all we know so its best he be removed from that house ASAP.
Somebody should have stepped in and told the guy in no uncertain terms that his plans were NEVER going to happen and he'd face dire consequences if he didn't drop them. I'd have sent him packing on the first plane back to Pakistan if I was related to the girl.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:59 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:

Well by having a muslim father, the girls is a muslim under the laws of islam. The shameful mother is to blame. She likely was using her own daughter as bait to snare herself a man.

The bigger questions to ask - why are we bringing in all these muslims in the first place? They have their beliefs but they are incompatilble with ours.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Well by having a muslim father, the girls is a muslim under the laws of islam. The shameful mother is to blame. She likely was using her own daughter as bait to snare herself a man.

The bigger questions to ask - why are we bringing in all these muslims in the first place? They have their beliefs but they are incompatilble with ours.
No, the girl is not his biological child and he did not adopt her. Not that a bio child doesn't deserve protection -- as she certainly would! But it just shows how bold these cockroaches are that they would do such a thing to a child that isn't even technically their child. She "belongs" to the mother and the mother "belongs" to him. This is the thinking.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies