Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 06:16 AM

20,187 posts, read 23,852,928 times

Advertisements

Apparently it is WELL-known to historians that Lincoln wanted to free blacks but wanted them OUT of the country as well, he promoted colonization of blacks to Central America, public and privately. I remember Obama saying he was a Lincoln expert and I wondered if he knew this about Lincoln...

Does that make Lincoln a racist?

New book sheds new light on Lincoln's racial views - Yahoo! News (http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/us_lincoln_colonization - broken link)
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 06:26 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
This isn't common knowledge about the 'great savior' Lincoln???

I thought he preferred they be sent to Africa.

Old 03-06-2011, 07:19 AM

7,168 posts, read 5,365,472 times
There is no doubt that Lincioln was a racist and believed in white supremacy :
Quote:
"I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races," he announced in his Aug. 21, 1858, debate with Stephen Douglas. "I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position." And, "Free them [slaves] and make them politically and socially our equals? My own feelings will not admit of this. We cannot, then, make them equals."
Quote:
Lincoln was also a lifelong advocate of "colonization" or shipping all black people to Africa, Central America, Haiti--anywhere but here. "I cannot make it better known than it already is," he stated in a Dec. 1, 1862, Message to Congress,
Quote:
"that I strongly favor colonization."
To Lincoln, blacks could be "equal," but not in the United States.
I remember one of the {R}s talking points during the Clinton era was that they were the party of Lincoln, that is how successful historians have been on the make over of the real man and the true history. One reason why Obama and other leaders might look up to Lincoln is because he was a duly elected tyrant.
Quote:
James G. Randall documented Lincoln's assault on the Constitution in "Constitutional Problems Under Lincoln." Lincoln unconstitutionally suspended the writ of habeas corpus and had the military arrest tens of thousands of Northern political opponents, including dozens of newspaper editors and owners. Some 300 newspapers were shut down and all telegraph communication was censored. Northern elections were rigged; Democratic voters were intimidated by federal soldiers; hundreds of New York City draft protesters were gunned down by federal troops; West Virginia was unconstitutionally carved out of Virginia; and the most outspoken member of the Democratic Party opposition, Congressman Clement L. Vallandigham of Ohio, was deported. Duly elected members of the Maryland legislature were imprisoned, as was the mayor of Baltimore and Congressman Henry May. The border states were systematically disarmed in violation of the Second Amendment and private property was confiscated. Lincoln's apologists say he had "to destroy the Constitution in order to save it."
Did you catch the part where troops were used to gun down draft protesters, just think of the protest that are going on today and people being gunned down. We all would be in shock and I am sure the people in that era were too. Think of that from both sides of the aisle Lincoln is held up on a pedestal as a great POTUS.
Let's put myths to rest

Old 03-06-2011, 08:15 AM

31,290 posts, read 20,737,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Swingblade View Post
I remember one of the {R}s talking points during the Clinton era was that they were the party of Lincoln, that is how successful historians have been on the make over of the real man and the true history. One reason why Obama and other leaders might look up to Lincoln is because he was a duly elected tyrant.

Let's put myths to rest

Lincoln's worst sin was leading the country from a distributed states rights power base to a hugely powerful federal government. He started us down that path and the shift continues today. That's why Obama looks up to Lincoln....because they both like a huge and powerful federal government.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:19 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
This isn't common knowledge about the 'great savior' Lincoln???

I thought he preferred they be sent to Africa.
His preference, or yours? Maybe you're getting them confused.

Btw...wasn't this topic just discussed in another thread?

Old 03-06-2011, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
His preference, or yours? Maybe you're getting them confused.

Btw...wasn't this topic just discussed in another thread?
Cute,a personal attack.
It was Lincoln's way of thinking I do believe,don't you know your own history?

Old 03-06-2011, 08:36 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,193,725 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Cute,a personal attack.
It was Lincoln's way of thinking I do believe,don't you know your own history?
My "own" history? My name Abe Lincoln or something? How is it MY own history and not YOURS?

Old 03-06-2011, 08:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
Lincoln's worst sin was leading the country from a distributed states rights power base to a hugely powerful federal government. He started us down that path and the shift continues today. That's why Obama looks up to Lincoln....because they both like a huge and powerful federal government.
A huge and powerful federal gvt can be laid at the feet of both parties,lets remember that the {R}s were in control after the civil war. Did they restore state rights ? have they done anything besides lip service on limiting the federal gvt's power ? did they invite the Gov's of the states for the health care debate ? See my point, once the federal gvt gets a hold of power they never give it back.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
My "own" history? My name Abe Lincoln or something? How is it MY own history and not YOURS?
I was not born in this country.

Old 03-06-2011, 08:57 AM

Here is a good example of how the media distorts the true Lincoln. Here is the Lincoln quote :

"I have no purpose to introduce political and social equality between the white and black races," he announced in his Aug. 21, 1858, debate with Stephen Douglas. "I, as well as Judge Douglas, am in favor of the race to which I belong having the superior position." And, "Free them [slaves] and make them politically and socially our equals? My own feelings will not admit of this. We cannot, then, make them equals."
Here is the media :
Quote:
But no other president can match the emotional connection of a black man following in the footsteps of the president who ended slavery. It helps complete what Smith called "the unfinished part of the Lincoln agenda" — bringing America closer to real racial equality.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/29159686/
What is sad that most people including Obama are eating this crap up. The last POTUS that Obama would want to be compared with should be Lincoln. And he went to a Ivy league school,too funny.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies