Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-06-2011, 09:20 AM

14,247 posts, read 17,924,929 times

Advertisements

I think a lot of people - and especially women - drive SUVs because they feel safer in them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 09:22 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest
Not all of Europe has better records.. Bulgaria for example has a much higher fatality record then we do and they drive the same cars as the rest of Europe..

Or maybe its because they drive less
Commuter miles in Europe average 8.5 miles where in america they are twice that its 16 miles..
Megacities Europe

Had to go pretty darned far to find something negative to say about Europe.
Bulgaria is on the Black Sea and as far from most of Europe as you can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jaggy001 View Post
I think a lot of people - and especially women - drive SUVs because they feel safer in them.
It was great marketing!
No proof of that fact, but I agree with your assessment.

Last edited by chielgirl; 03-06-2011 at 09:31 AM..

Old 03-06-2011, 09:23 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
That is the niche station wagons filled....now we have crossovers.
Meh....there weren't as many station wagons around as people seem to think. At least not in my memory. Large families just drove cars, like everyone else. Nowadays, it's pretty obvious that you can't find cars as big as a Pontiac Catalina, but then, families are smaller too.

We traveled in a Titan Motorhome, then later a Winnebago when i was a kid on very long trips. But for the normal jaunts around town, we were in a car...although my parents did have a station wagon for a few years.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
Megacities Europe

LOL...Bulgaria is a backwater and is about as dirtpoor as you can get in Europe. In my jaunts around Europe, running into a Bulgarian happens about as often as running into a Klingon.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:27 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,443,995 times
Default How many are sorry they drive SUV's?

My 4 cyl RAV4 gets 26 mpg and I only drive about 5000 miles per year, so the higher prices don't hit me as hard as most folks. And the RAV4 is my first SUV. I've been driving nothing but 4 cyl gas sippers since 1983. No regrets.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:30 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Megacities Europe

I said nothing negative about Europe.. I simply posted FACTS that their average commute is 1/2 of ours, which would explain why their casulty rates are lower than ours..
Quote:
Is it, or is it not part of Europe?

btw, where are you questioning the statements I responded to? You know, the one claiming smaller cars are not "unsafe"?

ooh selective reading of the facts right? You arent concerned about accuracy, you are only concerned about finding infromation to confirm to your preconceived notion. After all, you cant actually support the facts that smaller cars are less safe right?

Old 03-06-2011, 09:32 AM

24,620 posts, read 28,286,152 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by skoro View Post
My 4 cyl RAV4 gets 26 mpg and I only drive about 5000 miles per year, so the higher prices don't hit me as hard as most folks. And the RAV4 is my first SUV. I've been driving nothing but 4 cyl gas sippers since 1983. No regrets.
I like the Rav4, it seems pretty reasonable for a small SUV.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:35 AM

4,739 posts, read 10,443,387 times
desertdetroiter = "Large families just drove cars, like everyone else." Car seats weren't required way back when (nor seatbelts).

There aren't that many vehicles that can handle 2 car seats and a booster seat plus a couple of adults. Plus all the stuff. My Ford Explorer provides all that in comfort.

Old 03-06-2011, 09:37 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
LOL...Bulgaria is a backwater and is about as dirtpoor as you can get in Europe. In my jaunts around Europe, running into a Bulgarian happens about as often as running into a Klingon.
So they are poor right? They would be buying smaller cars because they cant afford big gas guzzing SUV's right? You are arguing against yourself because if they are so darn poor, they would be driving smaller cars, and if their fatality rates are so much higher than Europe, (and america), then you cant possibly conclude that smaller cars are safer than larger ones

Also, Bulgaria isnt even close to the poorest parts of Europe
other areas far poorer, Montenegro, Moldova (where I once paid a programmer 2 jars of peanut butter to do programming for me), Malta, Macedonia/FYROM, Armenia

And yet these areas also have lower fatality rates than Bulgaria...

Whats your point, that poorer countries drive larger cars like SUV's and because you think larger cars are unsafe, people in Bulgaria are dying at a higher rate? Really, you might want to rethink that argument..

Old 03-06-2011, 09:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reactionary View Post
desertdetroiter = "Large families just drove cars, like everyone else." Car seats weren't required way back when (nor seatbelts).

There aren't that many vehicles that can handle 2 car seats and a booster seat plus a couple of adults. Plus all the stuff. My Ford Explorer provides all that in comfort.
The back seat of an Explorer is no larger than the back seat of a Taurus. You can easily fit two car seats and a booster seat in the back seat of a Taurus. That's just the truth.

And the front seat of an Explorer is no more comfortable than the front seats and leg room of a Taurus either. Like i said, you can buy things things and easily convince yourself that you need it, but American families did fine without those things with LARGER families years ago.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies