Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 10:23 AM

3,566 posts, read 3,732,913 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluescityleon View Post
I do not know but Can it happen. Maybe if she had Military experience, business and wasn't too pretty. old or too ambitious, or connected or beholhing.............nah not yet.
It's just that kind of question that got us Barack Obama.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 11:09 AM

44,254 posts, read 64,358,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cpsTN View Post
I never said she can't, just that the situation would not be the best one. Talking to people like you is frustrating. I can tell from your last post that you are the kind of person who won't look at the other person's view and whether it makes sense or not - whether or not you agree is separate from this -, you just want to win your humanist view. I can see the humanist view and see the logic in it. I just believe the God's view is superior to mine, since God has all the information and I do not.
Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
Talking with people like you is frustrating because you don't care whether it makes sense or not as long it "says so" in the bible.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:27 AM

40 posts, read 38,924 times
Quote:
Why is EVERYTHING that seems old-fasioned automatically bad? I did not say women do the work but don't get the credit. You probably think that I am anti-woman (although being anti-man in our society seems to be OK), but I am not. For some reason, our society has gotten the idea that EVERYONE is suited for EVERYTHING. Why?

Here is why I think the way I do: It has to do with the way men's minds and women's minds work, generally speaking. If you live with men very long, you will notice they have trouble finding things, they have a tendency to loose things, forget appointments, and (relative to women) seem to be lacking in compasion overall. This is because men overall have a one-track mind. Most men are able to concentrate well on one thing at a time. Since they don't seem to be overly compassionate for things, they are good at removing emotion from the situation and a make a decision that could be otherwise impossible. However, this mindset makes them rather "stupid" with other things.

This is were women come it. Women's minds seem to be made with several tracks. They can be handling umpteen things at once, generally, and not get confused. They are much more compassionate and loving than men which makes them better at raising children and taking care of animals. This is why you normally see women in commericals asking you to help save the lives of children and animals. This is also why the Bible instucts men to love their wives and does not mention for women to love their husbands. Love and compassion is pretty much natural for women. Men have love and compassion, but they normally don't show it without working at it. Woman also look at the whole picture and many more options than men. This makes women very well suited for advisors before men do something stupid because men normally don't think things through.

A woman's higher perpensity for compassion and emotion could get in the way of making hard decisions, but without a woman in a man's life, things generally get left unfinished. God made men and women to compliment each other, not to compete with each other. I do have much respect for women and men, but I understand one can't be the other.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
Charles no one is saying everyone is suited for everything. However it is not useful to put people in boxes. Some women are good at some things just as others as some men at good at some things. Generally if you divide any group by age, gender and even race you find common attributes. However what is useful for the individual is to be judges as an individual on their own strengths and weaknesses.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:29 AM

40 posts, read 38,924 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
Stating it, doesn't make it so. Women did not work then like they do now.

What, did Steinem manage to rewrite history?
Stating it does not make it so. Where did I say they work as they work now? I don't think you'd see many women or men in front of computers in the 1800's

Old 03-08-2011, 12:09 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,310,461 times
I wouldn't hold my breath. Maybe next decade.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 PM

694 posts, read 745,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Talking with people like you is frustrating because you don't care whether it makes sense or not as long it "says so" in the bible.
What is really frustrating is that so many people think that only non-religious people can think. What do you think I do, just open the Bible and read haphazardly and say "Oh, I didn't know I was supposed to think THAT!" I'm not a Stepford husband.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN

Old 03-08-2011, 08:41 PM

694 posts, read 745,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by voice_of_reason View Post
Charles no one is saying everyone is suited for everything. However it is not useful to put people in boxes. Some women are good at some things just as others as some men at good at some things. Generally if you divide any group by age, gender and even race you find common attributes. However what is useful for the individual is to be judges as an individual on their own strengths and weaknesses.
I see some women who seem that they would make decent Presidents, but I go to God about matters like this and the Word seems to indicate that THAT path would not be the best one in the long term. The Bible does not say specifically about women heads of state, but it does give the roll of women (and men) within the family and chuch. Since this is the template for life as a whole, I assume it would follow into the world as a whole. People ask me why I think God knows better than I do and I say: I know better than my son (5yo) and although I am sure he doesn't always see the logic of everything I tell him, he doesn't have all the information I do about the subject. That is the way I feel toward God. Some things God says to us don't sound right to our SUPERIOR HUMAN LOGIC , but I feel God has more information on the subject than do I.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN

Old 03-08-2011, 08:47 PM

6,790 posts, read 8,198,252 times
Quote:
Why is EVERYTHING that seems old-fasioned automatically bad? I did not say women do the work but don't get the credit. You probably think that I am anti-woman (although being anti-man in our society seems to be OK), but I am not. For some reason, our society has gotten the idea that EVERYONE is suited for EVERYTHING. Why?

Here is why I think the way I do: It has to do with the way men's minds and women's minds work, generally speaking. If you live with men very long, you will notice they have trouble finding things, they have a tendency to loose things, forget appointments, and (relative to women) seem to be lacking in compasion overall. This is because men overall have a one-track mind. Most men are able to concentrate well on one thing at a time. Since they don't seem to be overly compassionate for things, they are good at removing emotion from the situation and a make a decision that could be otherwise impossible. However, this mindset makes them rather "stupid" with other things.

This is were women come it. Women's minds seem to be made with several tracks. They can be handling umpteen things at once, generally, and not get confused. They are much more compassionate and loving than men which makes them better at raising children and taking care of animals. This is why you normally see women in commericals asking you to help save the lives of children and animals. This is also why the Bible instucts men to love their wives and does not mention for women to love their husbands. Love and compassion is pretty much natural for women. Men have love and compassion, but they normally don't show it without working at it. Woman also look at the whole picture and many more options than men. This makes women very well suited for advisors before men do something stupid because men normally don't think things through.

A woman's higher perpensity for compassion and emotion could get in the way of making hard decisions, but without a woman in a man's life, things generally get left unfinished. God made men and women to compliment each other, not to compete with each other. I do have much respect for women and men, but I understand one can't be the other.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
The problem is you are simply stereotyping men and women. Men and women have all the same basic human abilities and traits, the differences are a matter of degree, this same concept applies to people of the same gender, they vary dramatically. Some men have more of the feminine traits than other men, and would fail when put in an aggressive role. Some women have more of the masculine traits than other women, and don't thrive as nurturers. When it comes to choosing the right person for any given job you must look at the person's abilities and traits, not simply make assumptions about what they are like based on their physical gender, ie. in a pool of applicants, a male applicant might be the best choice for a nanny job, and a female may be the best choice to be a police officer.

BTW, being anti man is not okay, and intelligent women will fight against such behavior.

Last edited by detshen; 03-08-2011 at 09:33 PM..

Old 03-08-2011, 08:48 PM

21,026 posts, read 22,147,970 times
Quote:
I see some women who seem that they would make decent Presidents, but I go to God about matters like this and the Word seems to indicate that THAT path would not be the best one in the long term. The Bible does not say specifically about women heads of state, but it does give the roll of women (and men) within the family and chuch. Since this is the template for life as a whole, I assume it would follow into the world as a whole. People ask me why I think God knows better than I do and I say: I know better than my son (5yo) and although I am sure he doesn't always see the logic of everything I tell him, he doesn't have all the information I do about the subject. That is the way I feel toward God. Some things God says to us don't sound right to our SUPERIOR HUMAN LOGIC , but I feel God has more information on the subject than do I.

Charles Sands
Smyrna, TN
OK, if "God" is talking to you this should go in the religion forum....in this forum YOUR opinion is what's discussed.

Again, no rules from an old book or "voices'...just common sense and logic says that a woman president, or any other woman leader, can certainly do as poor a job as all the male leaders since time began....if ANYONE dictated that leaders all be men, they certainly made a poor decision.

Old 03-08-2011, 09:13 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,056,348 times
No, at least not in my time.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies