Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-07-2011, 01:57 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
How does it not have to be a statewide ballot?
No there are count ballots, and local municipality ballots.. They could easily get something on a municipality ballot..
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Either it's a state institution, or it's a private institution. What kind of college are you envisioning?
Whats that have to do with whos paying? You can go to any school if I offer to pay for it, does it matter to you what you are billed? NO..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-07-2011, 01:58 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,866,888 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Actually your example of military personnel is a prime example of why this is ok, although your conclusion is completely backwards..

No one is stopping college students or military personnel from voting, they both should vote in their home state (i.e. legally reside). Military personnel right now do, they mail in absentee ballots. College students do not, they vote where they are on the day of the elections, regardless of the state they live.

Do you think college kids are better than those in the military and deserve special treatment?
If this is the case it is terrible that it is happening....

Surely no-one thinks that college students deserve more leeway then those fighting overseas?

Old 03-07-2011, 01:58 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by steven_h View Post
The idea that college students should be able to take over the politics of a town just because they pay to be educated there, 8-9 months a year, and will never go back after 2-4 years, is absolutely ridiculous. Crushing this bill is about one thing only, to increase the turnout for college aged students who happen to vote Democrat (nothing to do with being democratic).

Make laws that actually force people to not game the system and the DEM's may end up losing every race in 2012. After all- students, minorities including illegals, unions and activists are all they have left.
If they live there most of the year, they should have the same say in politics as the others who live there. FTR when I was in college (2000-2004) I dormed and voted on campus (same state, different county, different Congressional District, etc).

Last edited by Smash255; 03-07-2011 at 02:10 PM..

Old 03-07-2011, 01:59 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
They are finding a lot, not all were voting in both places and there was no way to stop it.
They are finding a lot? Link?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The idea that college students should not be able to vote where they spend 8-9 months out of the year is absolutely ridiculous.
How long is the college year?

Quote:
This is about one thing and one thing only, trying to reduce turnout for college aged students because they happen to be very Democratic, hell the very sponsor of the bill in New Hampshire pretty much admitted as such.
I would think this is more about stopping people from voting in the areas they are not residents or to stop the possibility of people voting twice.

You do support reducing the chances of voter fraud don't you?

Surely you don't want those people who legally vote having their vote not counted?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:01 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,096,009 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
I think that if they go to school for longer than 6 months out of the year, their school should be considered their new residence.
Not if their parents are claiming them as a dependant..
Quote:
Just like with everyone else that has 2 homes.
No, I have two homes.. I have to tell my state where I RESIDE, and pay taxes IN THAT STATE.. You cant pay taxes in North Dakota, and then claim you reside in Florida.. But thats what you want them to do.. You want a student from North Dakota, who's parents claim them as a dependant, (for both tax reasons, and now medical reasons), to be able to claim they live in Florida.. it doesnt work..
Quote:
However someone stationed in Germany isn't even in the US. Let's stop them from voting entirely. Shall we?
No one is stopping anyone from voting.. Stop repeating that because you are arguing against yourself.. in order for your scenario to be true, someone stationed in Germany would be voting in the Germany elections. Clearly they are not.. they vote WHERE THEY ARE FROM...

Students should not be any exception..

Old 03-07-2011, 02:01 PM

14,361 posts, read 9,786,069 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
If they live their most of the year, they should have the same say in politics as the others who live there. FTR when I was in college (2000-2004) I dormed and voted on campus (same state, different county, different Congressional District, etc).
Do you still live there? How long did you live there after you graduated?

Old 03-07-2011, 02:02 PM

22,184 posts, read 19,457,116 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
If this is the case it is terrible that it is happening....

Surely no-one thinks that college students deserve more leeway then those fighting overseas?
Who said that?? Those in the Military have the option to vote where they are stationed or vote absentee or where they actually live. If they are stationed overseas then obviously they have to vote absentee because you can't vote in another country.

College students have the same, they can vote on Campus, or vote absentee for where they live. If they happen to be going to college in another country, abroad for the semester or whatever they obviously can't vote in that country and vote absentee.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:03 PM

Quote:
I think that if they go to school for longer than 6 months out of the year, their school should be considered their new residence. Just like with everyone else that has 2 homes.
You mean someone with two residences should vote twice?

Quote:
However someone stationed in Germany isn't even in the US. Let's stop them from voting entirely. Shall we?
US military installation,US laws apply.

Old 03-07-2011, 02:04 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,870,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No there are count ballots, and local municipality ballots.. They could easily get something on a municipality ballot..

Whats that have to do with whos paying? You can go to any school if I offer to pay for it, does it matter to you what you are billed? NO..
Tuition is set at state institutions by the state.

Tuition is set at private institutions by the college.

No referendum could dictate to the schools the tuition rates.

Going at it from the other direction, no community would allow a referendum of that financial nature on the municipal ballot. Every community has laws and restrictions about the origins and implementation of financial obligations that a town could incur.

It's a ridiculous example.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies