Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 08:07 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times

Advertisements

If the student registers in his college town as a resident, files his tax return from there and doesn't let his parents claim him as a dependent, then there is no issue as far as I know.
If the parents claim the child as a dependent and want to write off things related to the student who is registered as no longer under their roof, then they can't file those tax write offs, it would be fraud.

So IMO this is mostly about people wanting their cake and eating it to.
The parents want the write off, the benefits, the dependent and at the same time the student wants to vote where the school is instead of where the tax return is filed.

THAT IS A PROBLEM!

But they can vote in their home state through the mail and in national elections the same way.
No issues IMO.

Does a college town want students to become 4 year residents voting all kinds of BS into laws and then not hang around to pay the tax man for what they vote for? Not likely IMO.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Here are just a couple of links re: out of state college students and drivers licenses,it does seem that at least in both these cases,they are NOT required to get a license in the state the college is in.

Driver's License Info - > College Students

Division of Driver Licensing - KY Driver License/ID Card and General Information (http://drlic.kytc.ky.gov/general/general.htm - broken link)

Perhaps if you find other states that do,you could post that info??
Within 30 days in Texas.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Within 30 days in Texas.
This is getting complicated really over the tax implications.
Most of these away students who are not 100% at home who have a foot still in their parent's house probably have their parents filing them as dependents.
If they do things that make them residents in their college town, then they don't officially reside with their parents (just away in college for studies) and this turns their parent's tax returns into potential tax fraud.

The other things are more the side issues IMO, including the driver's license and so forth.

I think if they change their vote registration it does complicate the tax filing status their parents would have.
Then also some kids are kind of stupid and will register a second time in their college town and effectively vote twice in elections in two regions of the United States also opening them up to felonies.

Very complicated stuff IMO.

If the parents lose the write offs for children they are paying for then that could be so bad they could have to remove their children from school.
Lots of complications IMO. Better to keep it simple.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:21 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,868,498 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
If the student registers in his college town as a resident, files his tax return from there and doesn't let his parents claim him as a dependent, then there is no issue as far as I know.
This would seem logical,I am sure no-one here would disagree.

Quote:
If the parents claim the child as a dependent and want to write off things related to the student who is registered as no longer under their roof, then they can't file those tax write offs, it would be fraud.
It would seem odd to claim someone both lives in another state and is your dependent.

Quote:
So IMO this is mostly about people wanting their cake and eating it to.
The parents want the write off, the benefits, the dependent and at the same time the student wants to vote where the school is instead of where the tax return is filed.

THAT IS A PROBLEM!

But they can vote in their home state through the mail and in national elections the same way.
No issues IMO.
You would think so...I guess perhaps the IRS should get involved with the parents claiming the student as a dependent IF the student also claims to be a resident of another state.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Within 30 days in Texas.
I couldn't find info on a drivers license but did find the following:

Quote:
Active duty members of the U.S. Armed Forces and non-resident, full-time students attending a Texas college or university are not required title or register their vehicles in Texas.
New Residents

Old 03-08-2011, 08:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
This is getting complicated really over the tax implications. Most of these away students who are not 100% at home who have a foot still in their parent's house probably have their parents filing them as dependents...
I moved to Texas in Feb 1997. Filed Missouri and California tax returns for 1996. Consequently, I should be eligible to vote only in... (fill in the blank).

Why does it matter where they are included in their tax returns, as long as they are paying taxes where it matters, where they live and political decisions directly affect them?

Old 03-08-2011, 08:37 AM

You seem to be mixing together becoming a resident of a state and working there and being an out of state college student.....it does not appear an out of state college student has to register or title their vehicle in TX,I have found nothing to show they need to get a TX drivers license either.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:38 AM

Quote:
You seem to be mixing together becoming a resident of a state and working there and being an out of state college student.....it does not appear an out of state college student has to register or title their vehicle in TX,I have found nothing to show they need to get a TX drivers license either.
I had said, why does it matter? And why should students be treated differently than any individual?

Old 03-08-2011, 08:39 AM

Quote:
This would seem logical,I am sure no-one here would disagree.

It would seem odd to claim someone both lives in another state and is your dependent.

You would think so...I guess perhaps the IRS should get involved with the parents claiming the student as a dependent IF the student also claims to be a resident of another state.
I think that is why there is the complications regarding this issue.
#1 Parents want the write off.
#2 Kids may want to vote where they go to school, but can't because parents would lose the write off.
#3 Local college town residents would not want 4 year college residents voting the city treasury in benefits to the school or students and then leaving all that bill with the property taxes of the full time residents. That IMO would really suck.
It would be like poor people voting benefits for themselves and when they drove that town broke getting the benefits they would just move on elsewhere. Kind of messes up and something to avoid IMO.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:41 AM

Quote:
I had said, why does it matter? And why should students be treated differently than any individual?
No idea why it matters,seems unfair to me that they do not have to comply with the law like everyone else.
It would appear that if the college student is a dependent of their parents,it is for tax purposes....

Of course they can't be considered residents for tuition purposes,that would cut into the $$$ the colleges want to receive.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies