Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 10:37 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,934 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Moth View Post
I stated, very clearly as a matter of fact, what I find problematic about that. If the great State of New Hampshire and the majority of its citizens are happy with that arrangement, then so be it. If not, the change is gonna come. Time will tell.

It is easy for people to vote. It is PAINFULLY easy. What is difficult is that people cannot be bothered to make a minimal effort to do much of anything except complain, complain, complain, and then find a scapegoat- any scapegoat- to puke out more blame rather than engage in a bit of self-examination.

Get off yer arses and vote already!
I tried to register for an absentee ballot in the last election and it was surprisingly difficult, and I wound up not being able to get it because of a combination of bureaucratic snafus and a minor mistake on my part. I'm glad I was actually able to be in town for election day, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to vote at all in November.

What you find problematic about it, I don't find problematic at all. I think that's the core of our disagreement here.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 10:40 AM

13,648 posts, read 20,775,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
I tried to register for an absentee ballot in the last election and it was surprisingly difficult, and I wound up not being able to get it because of a combination of bureaucratic snafus and a minor mistake on my part. I'm glad I was actually able to be in town for election day, otherwise I wouldn't have been able to vote at all in November.

What you find problematic about it, I don't find problematic at all. I think that's the core of our disagreement here.
So you could not get an absentee ballot for presumably where you are from- District A, yet you went and voted in District B, where you presumably go to school?

You are thus registered in two different places? Is that the case?

I reckon that is Fraud.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:43 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,934 times
Quote:
So you could not get an absentee ballot for presumably where you are from- District A, yet you went and voted in District B, where you presumably go to school?

You are thus registered in two different places? Is that the case?

I reckon that is Fraud.
No, I could not get an absentee ballot from District A, but I went and voted in District A because I happened to be in town that day anyway.

I'm getting really sick of these strawmen arguments from anybody who opposes the NH bill accusing people of committing voter fraud, or encouraging voter fraud, or being in favor of it.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
No, I could not get an absentee ballot from District A, but I went and voted in District A because I happened to be in town that day anyway.

I'm getting really sick of these strawmen arguments from anybody who opposes the NH bill accusing people of committing voter fraud, or encouraging voter fraud, or being in favor of it.
I see. Thank you for the clarification. I did not accuse, but rather asked and am now retracting.

Don't sweat it. I have moved around a bit and would be registered in multiple locations- two a few minutes drive from one another- had I not formally requested that I be struck from the system.

Elections are characterized by disorganization, laziness, and blame games. Florida 2000 was a prime example- people showing up to the wrong district and screaming bloody murder.

Some order is needed.

Old 03-08-2011, 10:56 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
I stated, very clearly as a matter of fact, what I find problematic about that. If the great State of New Hampshire and the majority of its citizens are happy with that arrangement, then so be it. If not, the change is gonna come. Time will tell.

It is easy for people to vote. It is PAINFULLY easy. What is difficult is that people cannot be bothered to make a minimal effort to do much of anything except complain, complain, complain, and then find a scapegoat- any scapegoat- to puke out more blame rather than engage in a bit of self-examination.

Get off yer arses and vote already!
Actually, you are just trying to reframe the argument.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:06 AM

8,396 posts, read 9,442,097 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
What about the hundreds of thousands of military suppressed in the 2004 and again in the 2008 elections? Hundreds of thousand were stopped from voting and would have prevented a ton of Democrats who were elected by that.
Really?

Military votes are subject to state regulations that would be the result of GOP as well as Democratic actions. And I'm sure some military folks didn't get their votes in. But you better have something to back up your "hundreds of thousands" claim.

Some Military Votes May Not Be Counted : NPR

Quote:
80% at least of the military do not vote Democrat.
Any other "facts" you'd care to just make up?

"These Military Times survey results show that support for the Republican Party among senior members of the Army, the group most likely to identify as Republican, declined significantly between 2004 and 2006 before leveling off at about 49% in 2007."

Pollster.com - Political Surveys and Election Polls, Trends, Charts and Analysis

Quote:
Then, we do need to require a photo ID to vote as we have to when you buy a $3 meal at Taco Bell.
We also need to purge voter roles every two years to get rid of the false voting going on as well.
Dead and non-people vote all the time in some places.

I think we should just start with common sense and go from there.

You first.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, you are just trying to reframe the argument.
Which one?

There are multiple arguments running rampant on this thread- Residency, Constitutional conformity, Apathy, Laziness, Conspiracies, the GOP are evil vampires, the Democrats are corrupt, what constitutes a community, and so on and so on.

To reframe anything, I would have to stand in line.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:16 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,874,717 times
Quote:
Which one?

There are multiple arguments running rampant on this thread- Residency, Constitutional conformity, Apathy, Laziness, Conspiracies, the GOP are evil vampires, the Democrats are corrupt, what constitutes a community, and so on and so on.

To reframe anything, I would have to stand in line.
Actually, you may be engaged in multiple arguments, but this thread is about the GOP putting impediments in the way of voters. It doesn't matter how small the impediment is. A poll tax could be a mere quarter. In this country, where voting is not mandatory, the efforts of the government should be to get voters to vote, not to get in the way of voters voting.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:16 AM

294 posts, read 351,376 times
It is impressive that this thread has enjoyed a forty page run, based on the snippet of a sentence it was based upon. I read it as a rule, one that could make things difficult for voting in some elections, but not something opressive or discriminatory in it's nature.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Actually, you may be engaged in multiple arguments, but this thread is about the GOP putting impediments in the way of voters. It doesn't matter how small the impediment is. A poll tax could be a mere quarter. In this country, where voting is not mandatory, the efforts of the government should be to get voters to vote, not to get in the way of voters voting.
Yea your theme was the GOP are evil vampires. Gotcha. Pick up your check on the way out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies