Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: What causes autism?
Defective genes 17 23.94%
Environmental toxins 4 5.63%
Vaccines 3 4.23%
A combination of vaccines and genes 4 5.63%
A combination of environmental toxins and genes 18 25.35%
A combination of vaccines and environmental toxins 10 14.08%
Something else 15 21.13%
Voters: 71. You may not vote on this poll

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 03:40 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,835,694 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
At the increasing statistical rate autism is being diagnosed, it should only be 10 to 20 years before 50 out of 100 infants are so diagnosed.

At that time, autism will be declared normal.

There will be a need to provide special education for the non-autistic.
Much of this is simply because of the change of definition in the DSM to allow more people to be diagnosed.

Allow there are new demographics in which it is more acceptable to be diagnosed. Not to mention, that there is more media exposure thus people are more vigilante.

Autism is a spectrum, thus there are some truly mild cases that are now diagnosed, but previously undiagnosed.

Old 03-09-2011, 06:20 AM

2,403 posts, read 5,240,453 times
My god I thought such vitriol was confined to the political forum. Can't we remember we're all on the same side - trying to find the cause & cure?

Old 03-09-2011, 06:32 AM

1,591 posts, read 3,552,098 times
Autism is of course a spectrum condition, so I am not referring to all cases b/c in one of the cases that I know, it may have been related to a difficult child birth. That said, I find it interesting that all of the kids I know with autism are the oldest sibling in their family. I have to wonder if there's a link between how much time is spent teaching that first child how to speak and communicate properly vs. how much time they spend being raised by videos and/or other parental substitutes. Of course this opinion is controversial, but I'm not alone in this opinion.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:07 AM

6,795 posts, read 7,287,224 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grim Reader View Post
No autism epidemic, Norwegian study suggests

http://www.freenetpages.co.uk/hp/gin...May%201998.pdf

SpringerLink - European Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, Volume 11, Number 6

Public Fear of Vaccination: Separating Fact From Fiction - Viral Immunology

Here is an interesting one:

ingentaconnect Postlicensure epidemiology of childhood vaccination: the Danish e...

Arch Pediatr Adolesc Med -- Abstract: Autism: A Review of the State of the Science for Pediatric Primary Health Care Clinicians, November 2006, Barbaresi et al. 160 (11): 1167

SpringerLink - Journal of Autism and Developmental Disorders, Volume 40, Number 2

Immunization safety review

DSpace at King Saud University: MMR vaccine and autism: is there a link?

Et cetera. Ad nauseam.

Once your best explanation of the facts involve a world-spanning conspiracy involving everyone who has any in-depth knowledge of the subject at hand, it is a sign that you have left sanity behind.
Not a world spanning conspiracy, just the powerful arm of the drug companies.
Powerful enough to enact legislation, crammed into the backdoor of the patriot act, that exempts them from liability for the effects of their vaccines. Just how much political clout and campaign contributions do you think that took?
To sponsor a few "studies" for propaganda purposes is common practice for the drug industry.
I can show literally hundreds of studies that say drugs and products produced by chemical manufacturers are safe, only to have them shown otherwise latter on.
Studies have shown every product that has ever been banned to be safe at some point in time; that is until the effects became so widespread and odorous that people demanded real answers.
I fear it is you with your blind faith in drug companies, and profit at all costs mega corporations, that has left your sanity behind.

Old 03-09-2011, 07:22 AM

12,980 posts, read 14,560,662 times
But these studies are undertaken throughout the world by governments, universities, WHO, and others. You are seriously insinuating that these are all being choregraphed by "big pharma"?

Old 03-09-2011, 07:43 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,128,950 times
Toxins triggering defective genes causing in utero neuronal migration.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:22 AM

1,594 posts, read 3,056,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by geos View Post
Can't we remember we're all on the same side - trying to find the cause & cure?
Because we're not all on the same side.

Old 03-09-2011, 08:26 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,478,139 times
its genetics

vacines and enviromental may be the kicker that implements the genetic defect.. but its genetics at the base of it

Old 03-09-2011, 08:41 AM

19,226 posts, read 15,318,165 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ergohead View Post
No one looks.
"In today’s highly toxic world everyone is being heavily exposed to hazardous materials but for some strange reason the medical mainstream has been unwaveringly critical of the use of chelation in autistic children. The Food and Drug Administration considers treating autistic children with chelating drugs too risky and ineffective to grant approval for such use, though they have no answer themselves for safe and effective treatment of the disorder. An American Academy of Pediatrics article noted no published peer-reviewed research showing chelation therapy has any role to play in autism. The FDA and the AAP could not be more mistaken, more wrong as they deny and defend their insane ideas about the safety of poisons like mercury in vaccines and dental products. There is nothing safe or effective in trusting these organizations’ judgments."

AFH LIBRARY - Iodine and Chelation

Old 03-09-2011, 11:12 AM

3,484 posts, read 2,871,413 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeWurkin View Post
Are you for real?

Reporting this post. Jenny is a friend of mine, and I find this offensive.

...and the thing is, we do not know if it's vaccines, because no meaningful study has ever been conducted.

Maybe you need to ask yourself why that is.
If really you know McCarthy please tell her the rest of us wish she would go away as she is a moron. Studies have been repeatedly conducted on the vaccines equal autism question. Studies have found no link between the two.

Quote:
I'm a parent of a child with autism. Can you say the same thing?

For the 4th time, what do you do for a living?
So what. I have two cats. I guess that makes me a vet, right?

Quote:
Actually buddy, it was 22. "Environmental toxins" is a euphemism for vaccines.

The problem is, most folks don't even know that vaccines are loaded with toxins. They don't want to know. All they want to know is they are "protected". Really, that's what it's all about. Toxins.
Anything is a "toxin" in large enough doses including water. Vaccines contain very tiny amounts of materials that are not harmful when used in such trivial quantities.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
The amish have extremely low rates of autism in their children. So look at their lifestyles and that will give you the reason. Now, people will say they aren't exposed to toxins but they eat pretty much what we eat and breathe the same air and drink the same water.
They don't vaccinate as much but they may still get the major vaccines if they're mandated by law. I'm not sold on vaccines being the cause of autism, but it is possible.
They don't get the neonatal care other children get. I'm talking ultrasounds before they're born. They are also not exposed to electromagnetic fields from electical devices nearly as much before they're born. A developing fetus brain has got to be influenced be things like ultrasounds and electric fields. Maybe at certain stages of development that might be the cause.
Nah.

The Amish vaccinate and they have autism.

Do The Amish Vaccinate? Indeed They Do, AND Their Autism Rates May be Lower

But you can't compare them to the norm because they are extremely inbred. The rest of us don't get maple syrup urine disease either.

Genetic Disorders Hit Amish Hard - 60 Minutes - CBS News
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies