Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 02:30 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
I was picked on because I; had glasses, was thin, was new, was white, had short hair, had long hair, was poor. We teach kids not to bully now. The end result of all our efforts of the past twenty years...........kids get bullied.
Part of the problem is that many parents are too busy to keep track of their kids and what they learn. So little quality time is spent together now. Now the parents expect the teachers to teach little Johnny and Susie about respect and how to treat others. But the teachers themselves do not have the skills or life lessons to teach kids manners and courtesy, So we get kids that learn from each other how to behave or misbehave. I am more surprised to encounter a young person who has manners, then I am to encounter one that is rude and discourteous to others. Manners, morals and respect are taught at home by the parents. Gone are the good days when there was a stay at home parent and kids were not latch key kids. I did not have a house key till I was 18.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:39 PM

16,880 posts, read 15,191,594 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlassoff View Post
Yes. That definitely settles it. Your anecdote about your "democrat next door neighbors" make it obvious that the hate spawns from both sides

It is the conservatives who fight for DOMA, against marriage equality, and everyone who has posted anti-gay bigoted drivel in this discussion is a known conservative... But your "next door neighbors" trump that.
the point is, is that hatred is on both sides of the political spectrum, and is not only limited to the conservative side.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:40 PM

3,325 posts, read 3,168,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Part of the problem is that many parents are too busy to keep track of their kids and what they learn. So little quality time is spent together now. Now the parents expect the teachers to teach little Johnny and Susie about respect and how to treat others. But the teachers themselves do not have the skills or life lessons to teach kids manners and courtesy, So we get kids that learn from each other how to behave or misbehave. I am more surprised to encounter a young person who has manners, then I am to encounter one that is rude and discourteous to others. Manners, morals and respect are taught at home by the parents. Gone are the good days when there was a stay at home parent and kids were not latch key kids. I did not have a house key till I was 18.
Teachers are fully prepared and able to teach manners and courtesy. We do it now. You often don't see it because many of the so called parents of these children pretty much undo everything we try to teach at school. Teachers can and do make a difference but don't kid yourself we don't hold nearly the same influence on children as their parents.

Old 03-08-2011, 02:52 PM

6,414 posts, read 10,487,842 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchman01 View Post
Teachers are fully prepared and able to teach manners and courtesy. We do it now. You often don't see it because many of the so called parents of these children pretty much undo everything we try to teach at school. Teachers can and do make a difference but don't kid yourself we don't hold nearly the same influence on children as their parents.
You said it with the influence that parents have on their kids. More than anyone else, children seek approval and acceptance from their parents. They will follow their parents lead, so parents should lead by their best example, but often cop out with the old do as I say, not as I do saying. A kids first teacher is their parent or guardian.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:03 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
some things are elementary. any exposure to remind a child to take the right path in life is good. doesn't matter if they pay attention to it or not, or learn the opposite elsewhere. just like math or any other important subject it is important to practice.

reminding a child to not resort violence and hatred towards people is a good thing.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:22 PM

3,485 posts, read 7,308,235 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
the point is, is that hatred is on both sides of the political spectrum, and is not only limited to the conservative side.
Best back it up with some facts.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:28 PM

37,959 posts, read 22,134,270 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
NINE in TEN L.G.B.T. students have reported that they been verbally harassed in their school this past year; and almost HALF have been physically abused because of their sexual orientation!
You think there are a lot of transgendered kids in our public schools?

We are talking about children, aren't we? Some kids will always be teasing and bullying other kids simply for being different. We can do our best to raise our children to be more accepting of others, and to feel empathy for the feelings of others, but there will always be that ten percent who bully, lie, cheat, steal, skip school, do drugs to excess, get pregnant and on and on.

Old 03-08-2011, 03:56 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pollyrobin View Post
You don't really believe that, do you? How about
letting gays have a right of passage and be
treated with decency.
Yes. I believe it is a made up problem. Are gays sometimes treated badly for no reason? Yes. But the problem is greatly exaggerated.

In the 1980s when I was a teenager we kept hearing about about teens committing suicide becasue of rock and/or roll music. I believe some lawsuits were even filed against some bands/record companies. There was all this talk about how we must stop rock and roll and censor it and all this other nonsense. All of a sudden the problem dissappared. It was like magic. I suspect the same thing is happening here.

And how many kids get picked on in schools. Poor kids. Kids with glasses. Nerds. Fat kids. Skinny kids. Dumb kids. Smart kids. But we are supposed to act all outraged because a gay kid gets picked on? LOLs.

And I never suggested people shouldn't be treated with decency. I suggested that some gay kids being picked on is not a reason for a national crises.

And I find it particulary disgusting that gays will often compare themselves to the Civil Rights movement. Are gays hosed down in the streets? Are they sent to different schools? Are they forced to use different water fountains? Denied the right to vote? Are they pulled over for being gay? Do people fire bomb gay churches? Do people burn crosses in gay people's front yards? Blacks have clearly been treated worse than gays. It's insulting to suggest the gay "rights" movement is anything like what black folk went through. This is pretty much why I believe the gay "oppression" claims to be overblown. They lie about how bad it is for them when they compare themselves to blacks.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:28 PM

4,877 posts, read 4,505,763 times
Here's a link to an article about violence against LBGT in the United States:

GLBT Homosexual Homicide Dataset Development

Spoiler
Our data shows that approximately three to four percent of all homicides involve sexual minorities.

Most people will tell you that the LBGT population in the United States is from 8-10%.

Looks to me as if I am correct. This should come as no surprise to anyone that knows me.

The violence against gays claim is nonsense. Gays are actually less likely to be victims of a violent crime than a non-homosexual.

Winning.

Old 03-08-2011, 04:38 PM

18,381 posts, read 19,008,619 times
ohio, gays have been have been a target of hateful people for a long long time. as it was in the late 60's, over zealous and/or corrupt police, raided and arrested patrons of gay bars sometimes on a weekly basis. the abuses of places like stonewell inn are the reasons to encourage tolerance. otherwise raids, hate crimes, murders would occur more often.

pretending the "gay issue" is "overblown" shows a callous disregard for the facts.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies