Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-09-2011, 10:35 PM

11,449 posts, read 14,466,505 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post

Never mind liberals hate anyone who questions their bizarre agenda.
What bizarre agenda? Not treating other people like second rate citizens?

Old 03-09-2011, 10:47 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SLCPUNK View Post
What bizarre agenda? Not treating other people like second rate citizens?
He cracks me up.........always labeling people and bringing up freakin politics in a thread about how to stop children bullying one another......some posts are "intellectually challenged" and see anything/anyone different from themselves as a threat. I actually feel sorry for closed minded folks!

Last edited by PITTSTON2SARASOTA; 03-09-2011 at 11:38 PM..

Old 03-10-2011, 12:00 AM

6,414 posts, read 10,492,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
I'm bisexual, so I kind of understand. I did not say anything in high school. I was really popular, but very insecure. I was on track, cross country, student government, drama, and served on two advisory committees in high school to better boost the school district test scores.

In college, I found it hard because again I was high profile. I run into people that I have no idea knew me...even here in Seoul. Two girls came up to me asking me if I remember them. Well, 2,000 people voted me in for student government and I was a founding member of a fraternity.

However, if I told anyone I would lose those positions. Now it doesn't matter. I'm an ESL teacher in Seoul. Now I want to concentrate on helping people like me that aren't overtly LGBT (stereotypical) and how to not crack under pressure.

I was/am lucky that my brother and sister in law were/are open minded. Otherwise imagine the pressure of trying to keep a 4.5 gpa, 10 hrs of school, and then become ostracized because of my sexuality. My principal went on record stating that same sex displays of affection are banned. The same principal that helped me get over $5,000 in scholarships. If I told, I would not be able to get that money and since my dad works at the school it would be even harder for me. My dad voted yes on prop 8.

So I understand what it's like to a certain extent. It's just a good thing I'm masculine so I can pass...
Like you, I am masculine and can pass for straight. I was never targeted for being gay. Actually, still after 30 years, I have not told any of my class mates that I am gay. I worked for the fire department from 11th grade till I was 20 and I came out to one of my fellow workers who told another that led to my being let go without it being said that it was because I was gay. This was back in 1980 when being out in the work force was like DADT. We, as in the LGBT people, should not have to hide or pretend that we are something we are not. That is why we come out, to stop pretending, to be real to ourselves without having to watch our backs all the time.

Old 03-10-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDragonslayer View Post
Like you, I am masculine and can pass for straight. I was never targeted for being gay. Actually, still after 30 years, I have not told any of my class mates that I am gay. I worked for the fire department from 11th grade till I was 20 and I came out to one of my fellow workers who told another that led to my being let go without it being said that it was because I was gay. This was back in 1980 when being out in the work force was like DADT. We, as in the LGBT people, should not have to hide or pretend that we are something we are not. That is why we come out, to stop pretending, to be real to ourselves without having to watch our backs all the time.

Thanx for posting.....many straight folks don't realize how much guts it takes to come out of the closet.....to friends, family, coworkers, etcetera as well as to society in general. Honesty is the best policy!

Old 03-10-2011, 02:15 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
I haven't really been following this thread at all buy why isn't this about ending violence and bullying period and not about some minority group? Why aren't we working to end bullying and violence in schools for any reason, why should we dedicate time to a certain group which may or may not get bullied or abused as much as the rest of the school population?

I just don't see why this has anything to do with gays at all, if there's bullying in the school it should be stopped or prevented regardless of why it's taking place. The punishment should be 100% based on the severity of the bullying or violence and not on the claimed sexual orientation of the people involved. Attacking or bullying someone because you think they're gay is no better or worse than bullying or attacking someone because you think they're Latino, left handed or dyslexic. Singling out a person and attacking them for any reason or no reason at all should be treated the same, as violence.

Old 03-10-2011, 02:57 AM

4,877 posts, read 4,507,748 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I haven't really been following this thread at all buy why isn't this about ending violence and bullying period and not about some minority group? Why aren't we working to end bullying and violence in schools for any reason, why should we dedicate time to a certain group which may or may not get bullied or abused as much as the rest of the school population?

I just don't see why this has anything to do with gays at all, if there's bullying in the school it should be stopped or prevented regardless of why it's taking place. The punishment should be 100% based on the severity of the bullying or violence and not on the claimed sexual orientation of the people involved. Attacking or bullying someone because you think they're gay is no better or worse than bullying or attacking someone because you think they're Latino, left handed or dyslexic. Singling out a person and attacking them for any reason or no reason at all should be treated the same, as violence.
The purpose of this thread is to call anyone that doesn't agree with the OP a homophobe.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:16 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,852,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
The purpose of this thread is to call anyone that doesn't agree with the OP a homophobe.
I understand that, no big surprise but I would think the OP would want to end bullying as a whole instead of just focusing on just one small group of kids. I'm just asking to make sure that overall the goal is to prevent bullying of all kids, not just the one group that certain people want to care about. It seems like singling out the gay students to help discriminates against the straight students who are also bullied and in reality a lot more straight kids get bullied than gay kids because of the very low percentage of gay kids when compared to the overall population. It seems like we should focus on eliminating bullying period, that would benefit the most kids and would cover all groups.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:34 AM

Quote:

Than why are you so hostile?????....this specific thread is about gay bullying....I myself want all bullying stopped.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:34 AM

Quote:
I understand that, no big surprise but I would think the OP would want to end bullying as a whole instead of just focusing on just one small group of kids. I'm just asking to make sure that overall the goal is to prevent bullying of all kids, not just the one group that certain people want to care about. It seems like singling out the gay students to help discriminates against the straight students who are also bullied and in reality a lot more straight kids get bullied than gay kids because of the very low percentage of gay kids when compared to the overall population. It seems like we should focus on eliminating bullying period, that would benefit the most kids and would cover all groups.
It would.

And I posted stats earlier that showed a gay person is no more likely to be a victim of violent crime than a straight. I was called a homophobe. Told not to have kids so I won't teach them this hate. (Teaching kids facts is "hate", lying to them is "tolerance") And so on and so on.

It's all rather boring.

Old 03-10-2011, 03:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Than why are you so hostile?????....this specific thread is about gay bullying....I myself want all bullying stopped.
See waht I mean Backspace.

He says you are hostile. Even though there is nothing hostile about your post.

At least he didn't call you a homphobe like he does everyone else that doesn't parrot exactly what he says.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies