Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:11 AM

15,395 posts, read 22,525,635 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
No, values should be taught in the home. It's not the place of schools to instill moral values in impressionable children in contradiction of those same children's family values. Such views are being used to push a liberal agenda on our children.

My daughter (4 y.o.) came home one day and said "That new girl Sally, she has two mommies. How can that be, Dad?" I had met Sally's "mother" (at least one of them) and she seemed nice enough, but I am not buying into the liberal BS that states that anything that calls itself a family therefore is or that such relationships are morally valid. I told my daughter "Sally has one mommy and one daddy. Her daddy just isn't around. Sally's mommy has a lady friend and is just mixed up about things. But she's a nice girl and you should play with her."

So you think the school has a right to convince my daughter otherwise?

These two women, who have adopted Sally, seem ok and are greeted with a smile and 'good day' when passing in the school hall. I wouldn't confront them or seek to cause ill will, but then we're not inviting Sally for any play dates either.

Live and let live. And that goes two ways.
Well you have just read what "values" many posters will teach their children.......GET REAL!!!!!.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:16 AM

5,660 posts, read 5,088,512 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
Well you have just read what "values" many posters will teach their children.......GET REAL!!!!!.
And your "values" are more valid and should take precedence over a parent's right to teach their children right from wrong, where ever that line may be?

Old 03-08-2011, 08:17 AM

24,868 posts, read 24,388,397 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
I got picked on for wearing glasses....being short and nerdy too......but the thread is about homophobia.

ALL BULLYING MUST STOP!!!!!!

And you are correct......educating the children is the key. Children are fine with gay folks until they are told otherwise and gays are demonized by society and/or their parents. But you read the thread and can see that some children are being indoctrinated with lies, hate and bigotry. Very sad!!!!!
I know, I was just stating this as an example that proves that kids will make fun of something, regardless of what it is.

If its not homosexuals, its clothes. If its not clothes, its what kind of car your parents drive. If its not that, its your grades.

Kids just seem to find something to single people out and differentiate them. I believe this is because the bullies generally have a poor self image of themselves, so they want to focus on the differences of others to deflect that attention from themselves.

Thats why I said that parenting is key. I teach my son its not nice to make fun of anyone, for any reason. And I also teach him to be proud of himself, and to understand that when he stumbles, its not time to give up, but get up and try harder.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:24 AM

3,393 posts, read 4,011,503 times
I will never forget when my son was in first grade, his teacher encouraged kids to stand up and share news stories that they heard. My son stood up and shared the story of the murder of Matthew Shepard. This little six yr old was outraged and said "This is just like people that got hanged because they were black!"

Well, fast forward and now my son is out of the closet. Did he know he was gay when he was six? Is that why he was so upset? I don't know. But I like to think he made an impact on the rest of the class.

By the way, fabulous video if you haven't seen it...
www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a4MR8oI_B8

Old 03-08-2011, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
I know, I was just stating this as an example that proves that kids will make fun of something, regardless of what it is.

If its not homosexuals, its clothes. If its not clothes, its what kind of car your parents drive. If its not that, its your grades.

Kids just seem to find something to single people out and differentiate them. I believe this is because the bullies generally have a poor self image of themselves, so they want to focus on the differences of others to deflect that attention from themselves.

Thats why I said that parenting is key. I teach my son its not nice to make fun of anyone, for any reason. And I also teach him to be proud of himself, and to understand that when he stumbles, its not time to give up, but get up and try harder.

I understood what you meant.......and agree with you. As a parent you are teaching your child right from wrong and to be tolerant. If you read the entire thread you know that some children are being taught the wrong lessons at home.

Problem with gay kids is you can't usually go to your parents for advice or to boost your confidence or self image....nor to be proud of yourself.....

You are too afraid your parents will reject you....kick you out of the house(which happens a lot)......or disown you....which happened to me.

IF all parents were like you we would not need to have this discussion; but judging by the thread response....IMHO....things are WAY WORSE than even I thought, but I now have my answers on where this violence begins. And I am now convinced that the schools must get involved because many parents either won't or will teach intolerance and disrespect instead of love and acceptance.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:30 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,281,707 times
OMG stay away from our children.
Kids pick on each other for all kinds of reasons because at various young ages they are kind of cruel and that is pretty typical.
If a kid came to school dressed like a member of the band KISS they would be harassed as much as some boy child wearing makeup and prancing around in heels and a skirt to school.

Maybe just come to school to learn, keep the social BS , experimentation and EXPRESSING yourself for home.
Even in the grown up world all this odd stuff is merely tolerated because we all know people have the right to earn a living in peace, but it really in all honestly isn't accepted as normal and NEVER will be.
Adults can handle the responsibility, children aren't sophisticated enough and the majority shouldn't be made to become uncomfortable and confused over the tiny minority IMO.

Leave the oddities at home, start to come to school to learn and EXPRESS yourselves at home.

Old 03-08-2011, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Book Lover 21 View Post
I will never forget when my son was in first grade, his teacher encouraged kids to stand up and share news stories that they heard. My son stood up and shared the story of the murder of Matthew Shepard. This little six yr old was outraged and said "This is just like people that got hanged because they were black!"

Well, fast forward and now my son is out of the closet. Did he know he was gay when he was six? Is that why he was so upset? I don't know. But I like to think he made an impact on the rest of the class.

By the way, fabulous video if you haven't seen it...

www.youtube.com/watch?v=4a4MR8oI_B8
THANKYOU for the touching story. By the way....I knew I was "different"....gay at 5 or 6 years old and would have responded like your son. God bless him for standing up for what is right and for you being accepting. If it's ok...I'm going to embed your video>>>>>

Old 03-08-2011, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
OMG stay away from our children.
Kids pick on each other for all kinds of reasons because at various young ages they are kind of cruel and that is pretty typical.
If a kid came to school dressed like a member of the band KISS they would be harassed as much as some boy child wearing makeup and prancing around in heels and a skirt to school.

Maybe just come to school to learn, keep the social BS , experimentation and EXPRESSING yourself for home.
Even in the grown up world all this odd stuff is merely tolerated because we all know people have the right to earn a living in peace, but it really in all honestly isn't accepted as normal and NEVER will be.
Adults can handle the responsibility, children aren't sophisticated enough and the majority shouldn't be made to become uncomfortable and confused over the tiny minority IMO.

Leave the oddities at home, start to come to school to learn and EXPRESS yourselves at home.
YOUR post makes NO SENSE!!!!!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PatDJohns View Post
I dont think you can stop kids from picking on kids who are different. Its almost sickly evolutionary what kids do, they weed out the weak ones. Strong gay kids will stick up for themselves (not that they should have to).

I was picked on in high school pretty badly cuz I was the gay kid but I survived. I dont like admitting that I was suicidal but I was. It was less about the bullying and more about society telling me there was something inherently wrong with me.
You hit the nail on the head...it's more than just bullying at school...society condones bullying as evidenced by this thread....so some kids are getting it every which way......home, school, TV.....media....it's too much even for strong ones. I too survived it but I had to knock the crap out of a few folks first!

Old 03-08-2011, 08:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Workin_Hard View Post
And your "values" are more valid and should take precedence over a parent's right to teach their children right from wrong, where ever that line may be?
That would be a resounding YES; IF the children's parents are unfit......for instance teaching and condoning violence....then the state should take away the children for their own protection......and having raised children myself......I'd be a more fit parent as well..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies