Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-08-2011, 11:18 AM

1,777 posts, read 1,403,103 times

Advertisements

An NPR spokesperson has responded to this:

Quote:
The fraudulent organization represented in this video repeatedly pressed us to accept a $5 million check, with no strings attached, which we repeatedly refused to accept.

We are appalled by the comments made by Ron Schiller in the video, which are contrary to what NPR stands for.

Mr. Schiller announced last week that he is leaving NPR for another job.
It also turns out that this is another James "deceptively edit my videos to make it look like ACORN supports child prostitution" O'Keefe orchestration. I wouldn't be surprised if we got some very, um, selectively edited portions in this video.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-08-2011, 11:26 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wade52 View Post
Anyone who listens to NPR for any length of time will realize that it's about the closest thing there is to uncolored journalism.

That aside, the video is upsetting. But was there any follow-up? Did the NPR execs actually court funding from this organization?
Obviously, they have no problem courting those involved with the MB, while agreeing with the "zionist" comments.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chielgirl View Post
NPR is an unbiased news organization.

Obviously not, since we hear from one of their VPs the exact same tripe that we hear from the Left all the time. A VP of NPR vomiting from his mouth the same tripe, with no evidence btw, what the Left says about the Right - that's real PROOF.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
That was exactly the first thought that crossed my mind as I read the OP. Maybe the OP thinks that thought police should follow people around to monitor their "personal" opinions.
The Execs were there as representatives of NPR.

Quote:
Originally Posted by portyhead24 View Post
so.....what exactly was wrong with that video? Truth hurts. That exec was just calling it like it is. The modern day republican party has turned into a xenophobic, uneducated, witch hunting, fear mongering monster thanks to FOX and it's minions. Nobody is perfect admittedly, but some of these republicans are taking it to a whole new level and that is very scary. Stop trying to dictate your morality and personal beliefs on everyone and bring it back closer to the center. Some of y'all are gone so far right everything looks left to you and the saddest part is y'all don't even realize.
The LEFT truth, which is not an American truth (see last election).

Quote:
Originally Posted by silas777 View Post
This should be the final nail in NPR'S coffin.
Yes, this should do it for public funding.

(video) NPR officers compare deniers of climate change to birthers and flat earth believers - Washington Times

Quote:
Our coverage, if you look at our coverage, you would say that science coverage has accepted that climate change is happening and we're covering it.
But science hasn't done that. Science is not based on consensus.

Let's see, did NPR cover the alleged racist, nasty signs of the Tea Party? Did they also cover the racist, nasty signs of the union thugs in WI?

In Video: NPR Exec Slams Tea Party, Questions Need For Federal Funds : The Two-Way : NPR

Quote:
Dana Davis Rehm, NPR's senior vice president of marketing, communications and external relations, has released this statement:
Quote:
"We are appalled by the comments made by Ron Schiller in the video, which are contrary to what NPR stands for.
Well, some of those comments are in direct contradiction to CEO of NPR;

On the issue of the firing of Williams and whether public funding is important to NPR.

NPR Executives Caught On Video | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

Quote:
“Our organization was originally founded by a few members of the Muslim Brotherhood in America actually,” he says.

Schiller doesn’t blink. Instead, he assumes the role of fan.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:32 AM

294 posts, read 351,403 times
As the previous post reminds me, selective editing or not, the conversation is happening and I don't see anyone pulling a Charlie McCarthy act with this guy. There's gotchya videos on both sides of the political spectrum, defend away, but until the conversations fluidity is interupted with editing, the words that come out of someone's own mouth are their own. Nothing is more annoying than someone trying to convince me that I didn't hear or see what I did. 60 minutes was based on having at least one of these types of reports every other weekend, so I don't understand why it's not OK for anyone else to do this stuff.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:35 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
yes, the damage control has begun.

Quote:
It also turns out that this is another James "deceptively edit my videos to make it look like ACORN supports child prostitution" O'Keefe orchestration. I wouldn't be surprised if we got some very, um, selectively edited portions in this video.
what is your evidence of deceptive editing? if it was only a matter of deceptive editing, why did the NPR spokesman find it "appalling"?

GOP leader amazed at 'condescension and arrogance' in NPR video, calls on Dems to support defunding | Byron York | Beltway Confidential | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/03/gop-leader-amazed-condescension-and-arrogance-npr-video-calls-dem# - broken link)

Old 03-08-2011, 11:36 AM

Seems their lobbying efforts, using taxpayer funds might be illegal.

NPR, PBS campaigns to keep federal funds called unlawful - Washington Times

Quote:
NPR and PBS stations nationwide are rallying their audiences to contact Congress to fight against Republicans’ proposed spending cuts, but some affiliates’ pleas may violate laws preventing nonprofits or government-funded groups from lobbying.

But lawmakers and conservative critics argue the stations are breaking two laws, one that prohibits using taxpayer-funded grants to petition Congress for more taxpayer money and the other that bans nonprofits from doing much lobbying of any kind.
Amazing that a bunch of young, creative journalists are doing the job the MSM refuses to do.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:40 AM

52,697 posts, read 34,555,075 times
btw, project veritas has released the entire 2-hour video here. so goodbye 'deceptive editing' argument

Old 03-08-2011, 11:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post

In post #92, there is a link to NPR that has the full, 2 hour unedited video.

That "spin" won't fly.

GOP leader amazed at 'condescension and arrogance' in NPR video, calls on Dems to support defunding | Byron York | Beltway Confidential | Washington Examiner (http://washingtonexaminer.com/blogs/beltway-confidential/2011/03/gop-leader-amazed-condescension-and-arrogance-npr-video-calls-dem - broken link)

Quote:
"I am amazed at the condescension and arrogance that we saw in the sting video," Lamborn told me. "They seem to be viewing themselves as elites living in an ivory tower, and they are obviously out of touch with ordinary Americans."

I just think and believe and totally expect that they can survive in the private market, like everyone else in the media has to."
Yes, they should have no problem surviving on their own and if they can't, then they fail, as they should.

Old 03-08-2011, 11:56 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,093,154 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Obviously, they have no problem courting those involved with the MB, while agreeing with the "zionist" comments

Obviously not, since we hear from one of their VPs the exact same tripe that we hear from the Left all the time. A VP of NPR vomiting from his mouth the same tripe, with no evidence btw, what the Left says about the Right - that's real PROOF.

The Execs were there as representatives of NPR.

The LEFT truth, which is not an American truth (see last election).

Yes, this should do it for public funding.

(video) NPR officers compare deniers of climate change to birthers and flat earth believers - Washington Times

But science hasn't done that. Science is not based on consensus.

Let's see, did NPR cover the alleged racist, nasty signs of the Tea Party? Did they also cover the racist, nasty signs of the union thugs in WI?

In Video: NPR Exec Slams Tea Party, Questions Need For Federal Funds : The Two-Way : NPR

Well, some of those comments are in direct contradiction to CEO of NPR;

On the issue of the firing of Williams and whether public funding is important to NPR.

NPR Executives Caught On Video | The Daily Caller - Breaking News, Opinion, Research, and Entertainment

Could you please spare us your "vivid descrptions" (ugh!) of your enormously negative bias about NPR, such as, for example, "A VP of NPR vomiting from his mouth the same tripe" ?

I think we can all understand your meaning without having to experience the "visual" of descriptions, like the one above. By the way, where else does one "vomit" other than from the mouth? That phrase is not even good writing.

Additionally, thank god for NPR! and that they do have good programming for liberal perspectives.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:03 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,282,893 times
Getting front page headlines on yahoo news.

Old 03-08-2011, 12:07 PM

Here's the CEO, just the other day, swearing up and down that NPR was not biased or too liberal;

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77E0N...layer_embedded

There really is no doubt about their concentrated liberal ideology. Just take a look at the board, top officers and reporters.

Examination of NPR Board Finds Overwhelming Liberal Dominance | NewsBusters.org

Quote:
An examination of both the board of NPR's non-profit foundation and its national board of directors recently found that their members are overwhelmingly - almost uniformly - adherents to various left-wing ideologies.

National Review's Matthew Shaffer conducted the examination. He found that "nearly all have demonstrably liberal political sympathies, with heavy support for the Democratic party, pro-abortion-rights groups, and environmental activism in particular."
Quote:
Could you please spare us your "vivid descrptions"
Fortunately, you don't get to decide what other people can write.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies