Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will there be a government shutdown?
Yes 72 63.16%
No 24 21.05%
Not sure 18 15.79%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-05-2011, 05:42 PM

17,823 posts, read 23,455,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
I agree with you on the waste. I'm truly disgusted.

And while I quoted you, I was referring the general consensus of some here that everything a government agency does is crap and unneccessary. Of course I feel sensitive on this issue. While I have worked for the government for 3 years, I was in the private sector for 20 years and I work harder now and have much more responsibility than I ever did in my private sector jobs.
As long as the federal government limits itself to the powers granted them by the US Constitution, then I can not complain, even if I do not like what they are doing. For example, I do not like the "War on Drugs", but I cannot deny that Congress has the constitutional authority to regulate interstate and international commerce which includes drugs. There are also other areas where government is absolutely vital, such as law enforcement. As bad as the government may be at enforcing the laws, the private sector that is only motivated by profit would be far worse.

It is critical that Congress demonstrate a modicum of fiscal responsibility or we will soon default on the National Debt (the vote on whether to increase the debt ceiling is coming up soon), and when that happens we will be looking at hyper-inflation. That dollar will be worthless, and unemployment nationwide will more than triple. It will not be just the non-essential federal employees temporarily unemployed. While I do not like to see anyone who wants work unemployed, it is a necessary evil to ensure a fiscally responsible federal government. Had the Democrats passed a budget for FY2011, this would not even be an issue.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-05-2011, 05:45 PM

Location: Georgia, on the Florida line, right above Tallahassee
10,471 posts, read 15,835,178 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I don't understand how the government not shelling out debt-backed fiat currency for a few days is going to be bad for economy. Also, a vast majority of federal employees are overpaid and very unproductive. I mean unproductive in the truest sense of the word: they literally don't produce anything. I just don't see how them not working is economically bad, I think it's more of a "meh, whatever" type of thing.
When Newt did it way back when, I was in the Air Force. I still hate him for it.
Dumbasss holding military pay for ransom to force the President to do his bidding. Yeah, that's the Newt way.

Which government position do you think is the least productive?

Old 04-05-2011, 05:52 PM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
I don't understand how the government not shelling out debt-backed fiat currency for a few days is going to be bad for economy. Also, a vast majority of federal employees are overpaid and very unproductive. I mean unproductive in the truest sense of the word: they literally don't produce anything. I just don't see how them not working is economically bad, I think it's more of a "meh, whatever" type of thing.
Is your question serious? Do you really need someone to explain to you the effect of shutting down the federal government?

I see you posting on the NOVA board so you should know that quite a few people in the NOVA area either work directly for the federal gov't or for DOD. When they cut back on spending do you think that won't have an effect on the local economy?

Old 04-05-2011, 06:48 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,701,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
None of that stuff is being shut down.
Non essential workers who process the paperwork that keep those systems running will be laid off

Old 04-06-2011, 12:50 AM

14,317 posts, read 22,388,935 times
Default Federal shutdown helps Dems

In the latest move to try to hurt this president, the Republicans are doing something that they DID NOT DO during 8 years under Republican George Bush: insist on slashing SPENDING. Bush of course was on a warmongering spending spree, dumping ungodly amounts of money to fight two wars, and lose to militarily inferior opponents. Bush engaged in an ideological war and spent mightily while Republicans sat around silently chasing their tails.

Now with their sudden concern for the deficit and the spending that this president must do to resuscitate the country from the Dubya Dark Ages, they threaten to shut down the Federal government. This had a disastrous effect on Gingrich when he was Speaker and you can bet that it will have a similar effect on this imbecile Speaker we have now in the House. Shame on you hapless Pubs for showing your arses like this. Benefit to Dems.

"Ideological purity does NOT solve problems" - President Obama

Old 04-06-2011, 03:52 AM

4,264 posts, read 9,280,639 times
People sure don't pay attention, if this shutdown happens NOONE except Congress and the President will receive their pay. At this point and time there are no appropriations for the military beyond April 8. The House have a CR in the waiting which would fund the Pentagon through Sept 30 but if that isn't passed the military will receive no pay. Noone will receive any pay except for Congress until the shutdown is over, even those deemed essential will not be paid but will continue to work.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:28 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,118,301 times
The OP is histerical.. Everything he listed as something bad Bush did, Obama did 5 times worse.. ooooh the humor...

Old 04-06-2011, 05:38 AM

4,209 posts, read 3,590,080 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
The OP is histerical.. Everything he listed as something bad Bush did, Obama did 5 times worse.. ooooh the humor...
Reality is setting in and the lefties are getting hysterical. They realize their man and his idiot followers will be exiting Washington soon and they will no longer be able to fleece the 'rich' for their entitlements. It is almost funny watching them - and it is going to get worse!

Old 04-06-2011, 05:40 AM

10,875 posts, read 13,813,272 times
It's not looking good for republicans no doubt. They are getting hammered from the dems and the tea party to cut cut cut but they won't cut anything meaningful not unsurprising. If the right don't put on their big boy pants and actually try to make some real cuts to offset their massive 858 billion dollars in spending to bank roll the rich, they are going to look like liars and fools nationwide.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:02 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,256,496 times
1) How was the 1990s shutdown "disastrous" for the Republicans? They still maintained control of Congress after 1996 and 1998 and then won the Presidency in 2000.

2) The American public are not even overwhelming blaming Republicans for the shutdown. In fact, a good number blame both parties. Here's a recent example.

Polls: Public Split On Who To Blame In Government Shutdown
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies