Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will there be a government shutdown?
Yes 72 63.16%
No 24 21.05%
Not sure 18 15.79%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:57 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,081,664 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
I especially liked hearing Harry Reid's voice this morning on the way in to work when he whined about the Tea Party causing the pro-shutdown mentality.
but.. but. I thought the tea party would disappear when things got better

YouTube - Reid: "The Tea Party Will Disappear As Soon As The Economy Gets Better"

And according to Harry Reid, things are better
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 07:00 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
Which may go up. when housing bursts, and people get kicked out of their homes, they will have to rent, which will mean fewer rental units, which means they can charge more.
They will move back in with extended family. Or, in the case of a single person, buddy up with a friend already renting, split the costs, and work at McDs or equilvanet. Or, leave the area entirely to a place with jobs, such as Texas or NC. Also, kicking someone out now opens up a new housing unit, and as the NoVA bubble bursts, housing becomes more affordable for cash savers.

Quote:
Oh, and even a cheap townhome at 185K will cost more than your rent, so that's probably not an option.
Huh?

Quote:
Save up your money, things are going to get more expensive for you when the government shuts down.
The local money supply will dry up. Things will necessarily get more inexpensive.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:08 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Which may go up. when housing bursts, and people get kicked out of their homes, they will have to rent, which will mean fewer rental units, which means they can charge more.

Oh, and even a cheap townhome at 185K will cost more than your rent, so that's probably not an option.

Save up your money, things are going to get more expensive for you when the government shuts down.
I don't think so. Most people up here are federal sheeple who'll move elsewhere IMO. Either way, I'm prepared. I have no one else to blame but myself for being unprepared, which is specifically why I am prepared.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:10 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,894,702 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I'm very right even if you don't like it.
You are very wrong. All of those millions getting laid off would actually do wonder for the economy. Like I said, very very short-sighted view. The amount of money federal employees cost far outweight their benefits, which is almost 0.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:14 AM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post

The local money supply will dry up. Things will necessarily get more inexpensive.
That's factually inaccurate. If the local money supply dries up, and people move away, then things will easily become more expensive.

It costs less to drive a FULL semi full of anything, than a partial semi, and if there is a smaller population, then moving in almost any consumable will be of a smaller quantity, making it more expensive to do so.

When you transport larger quantities at a single time, it costs less, and when stores sell in greater volume they can charge less.

Economics 101. I have lived in areas that were affected similarly, and watched while housing prices dropped, while rental and real goods pricing goes sky high.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:15 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,447,180 times
I see the Democrats in this thread saying how bad it would be if the Govt. shutdown. How do you feel about your OWN party not passing a budget? This is on you guys. You can't pass the torch on this one.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:16 AM

5,450 posts, read 8,759,049 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
Factually incorrect. In a shut down law enforcement gets paid but not military.
No, they do get paid. Only non essentials do not get paid. Our soldiers are not in that category.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 AM

5,864 posts, read 4,977,086 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
Do you live in a military town?

The military doesn't get paid during a government shutdown. They will get paid, eventually. But they won't get their regular biweekly paycheck. Do you have any idea how much hell that can have on a local economy?
Yes but remember the troops are public employees and we know that public employees are overpaid and unproductive.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:17 AM

20,054 posts, read 18,275,532 times
Quote:
That's factually inaccurate. If the local money supply dries up, and people move away, then things will easily become more expensive.

It costs less to drive a FULL semi full of anything, than a partial semi, and if there is a smaller population, then moving in almost any consumable will be of a smaller quantity, making it more expensive to do so.
There will still be lots of people left in NoVA. It won't turn into a ghost town. But it will make commutes a bit more pleasant.

Quote:
Economics 101. I have lived in areas that were affected similarly, and watched while housing prices dropped, while rental and real goods pricing goes sky high.
Where my family is in FL, house prices have fallen but rental prices have fallen even quicker. A nice 3BR/2BA house rents for $600 and you can successfully demand no lease with no problem. Real house prices have dropped 90% priced in gold and 95% priced in silver since 2005.

What area do you speak of? It would be helpful to get a statistical account.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:19 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times
With Obama's success rate in the results of his spending;I don't see him as really anything but pure rethoric without the skills to get the job done that is needed.He has dug a very deep hole for us to get out of fiscally.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies