Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Will there be a government shutdown?
Yes 72 63.16%
No 24 21.05%
Not sure 18 15.79%
Voters: 114. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-06-2011, 06:28 PM

604 posts, read 750,700 times

Advertisements

I'll gather a rag-tag band of soldiers and march on DC. I'll oust the existing authoritarian leader and begin to rebuild America with more than 2 parties for each election.

Everyone wins.
Except the Authoritarian leader.
_________
In all seriousness, I doubt they go that far, GOP or Dems will cave...
Should they let it go, it won't be for long...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 06:44 PM

7,930 posts, read 9,154,161 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by simetime View Post
It is not my guy or your guy my issue, My probelm as a veteran was sending over 5000 fellow military members to die to make the rich richer. Oh yeah and for PRETENDING to be in the military
Then blame your Congress, including Democrats for authorizing the Iraq war. Then blame them some more for upping the ante in Afghanistan, ( you know the "right war" as stated in the 2004 campaign) and blame your President for Libya as Congress wasn't even asked about this latest excursion.

Old 04-06-2011, 06:46 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times
Hopefully this won't happen, if it did just maybe both party's will now have some common sense, something they know nothing about.

I cannot see how a Government shutdown, would benefit this Country, unless you know something we do not know.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:04 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,476 times
I think it's good they upped the ante, but only if they maintain the deadline for getting the hell out of there. You're never gonna eradicate the taliban, all you can do is instill a military and police for who aren't corrupt and are competent enough to keep them at bay.

They are essentially a gang that has gotten too far, like the Cartels or the Mob, but leaning more toward the cartels in their willingness to fight the military and kill in the streets.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:23 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
The House will be voting on the 1 week extension, with $12 Billion in cuts and funding for the military.

It will be up to the Senate then and I would love to see the dems/obama shut down the government over $12 billion.

Bring it on.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:44 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,882,304 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Memphis1979 View Post
As someone in a military community, I can tell you this. 90% of the people in the area who are effected by losing military business are blaming the Republicans if it goes down.

The news, newspapers, and almost everyone you talk to here is looking at Republicans as the blame for all of this talk. If they want to hold onto the Florida panhandle in the next election, they'd better do something PDQ.
Telling lies ove and over again won't make it true. The blame can only be laid at the feet of the democrats.. They still haven't passed last years budget.
The Republicans will win this one like they are winning everything because they are on the side of right. They are going to save the country from the corrupt WH...

Old 04-06-2011, 07:52 PM

1,167 posts, read 2,170,476 times
Are the republicans stubborn enough not to compromise is the better question.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,944,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
What compromise? $61 Billion out of $3.7 Trillion? The dems/obama can't deal with that?

Do you realize how ridiculous their reticence is on the subject?

Can we EVER expect to get spending, debt and deficits lowered if the dems balk at a measly $61 BILLION?

Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 PM

9,101 posts, read 16,457,116 times
I would hardly call Obama "gutsy". Remember this is the same Obama that follows U.N. orders to start another war in Libya and doesn't even consult Congress that is the only government body according to the Constitution that can declare war. This is the same Obama that has been nothing more than a puppet for the New World Order and corporate interests (like BP) that put him in office. Let's put things in perspective.

Any shutdown of Congress and the Obama administration could only BENEFIT the country as there would be less time available for Congress to do continue to do more damage than has already been done.

I think the fact that Obama is arrogant enough to run for re-election after his poor performance is a slap in the face to Americans if he thinks they would be DUMB enough to re-elect him. It just goes to show how CLUELESS the American electorate has become even if the election is close.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 PM

11,011 posts, read 11,023,344 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Megadell View Post
I find this amusing. This is nothing more than mere deflection by the Democrats in an effort to win cheap political points in an effort to try and turn it into political capital as they think Clinton did back in '96. If the Democrats were actually serious about passing a budget, Harry Reid would have called for a full Senate vote on the House passed budget bill. He chose to not do so. Why do you think that is? The Senate could have, through their vote, decided whether this House passed budget was acceptable or not. However, Harry Reid has instead decided to go with the Republicans are causing a shutdown argument. Point me to the Democrat's budget bill they passed again?? Oh that's right, you can't because they did not pass a budget, they did not even attempt to pass one, and are instead banking on the ignorance of the public and I believe this will backfire on them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies