Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-12-2011, 08:31 AM

2,725 posts, read 5,189,292 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
I find many feminists harsh and arrogant frankly. A lot of them are out of touch with their feminity. I use to belong to a running group and we had the typical prototype feminist as a member. She was really not an enjoyable person to run 10 miles with lol.
Right. They have a right to be just like those harsh and arrogant men.

To be in touch with femininity, (now this is totally my opinion), a woman has to grow up with men who don't mistake niceness for attraction or naivety.

The most popular women I know are very sweet and they have surrounded themselves with people, including harsh feminists, who often stick up for them when a male or female try to take advantage or are mean to them. They rarely have to show claws.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-12-2011, 08:44 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,385,387 times
Feminists are the result of eather defective genes or early childhood trama. The same way we get mass murderers and other sociopaths.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:50 AM

2,488 posts, read 4,321,588 times
My mom is definitely a feminist, probably an extreme one. She tells me that men suck, she doesn't need a man, blah, blah, blah...She thinks it's okay for women to have babies out of wedlock and not let the child have any contact with the father. She seems to be anti-marriage, even seeming to be trying to discourage me from getting married one day. Because my mom's dad and her brother and when my mom was married to my dad, they were abusive physically and emotionally to her, she thinks all men are like this now.

I'm okay with feminism, but I don't care for the extreme feminists women sort of like my mother where they think ALL men are abusive and are anti-marriage and pro-single parenthood.

Old 03-12-2011, 08:56 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
Well women acknowledging their own independence and being mindful of it would have a connection to feminism.

There are some wrong perceptions about pay and women.
They are paid often MORE than men. If they don't take breaks in their careers for babies they are often paid more than men for the same amount of work. It is only the break in the career that sets back the pay some.

That is another fun thing to do research on IMO.

Also women have control of more of the wealth in the world then men because they live longer.

There is a lot of power there IMO.
1. family leave act applies to both genders. American culture punishes motherhood as a rule, not an exception.
2. I've never seen women paid more for the same work, but I've seen them paid less. I happen to not be one of those women.
3. women do not have control of more wealth, never did, and never will until they earn it themselves. Having a pile of money in your hands like winning the lottery is not the same as earning it.
Quote:
Single men have mortality rates that are 250% higher than married men. Single women have mortality rates that are 50% higher than married women (Ross et all, 1990).
The Case for Marriage: Why Married People Are Happier, Healthier, and Better off Financially | PsychPage
Who got the better end of the stick? Looks to me your dear wife is keeping you out of 250% worth of mischief while you're slacking off at mere 50%.
5. If you're referring to widows living on retirement bennies it's not power. It's a prayer the 401k money doesn't run out before you do. Care to imagine what a 68yr old woman who never learned how to fish is supposed to do with herself? It's a terrifying existence no man could tolerate.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:05 AM

3,767 posts, read 4,529,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by crisan View Post
The most popular women I know are very sweet and they have surrounded themselves with people, including harsh feminists, who often stick up for them when a male or female try to take advantage or are mean to them. They rarely have to show claws.
Interesting. You believe that women should surround themselves with people, including harsh feminists because they need someone to "stick up for them" I don't think just because a woman is sweet that she can't stick up for herself.

I know a lot of sweet popular females who also can stick up for themselves just fine.
I don't think most healthy people want to be around harsh people male or female. Just my opinion. I know I don't.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:50 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2mares View Post
[i][i]

I have yet to meet anyone that was 100% happy with their bodies. This does not mean they are suffering from low self esteem.
I have big ugly feet and I color my hair because I don’t like the gray streak. I have plenty self esteem.
Women obsess more over their looks because we have been lead to believe our only worth is how attractive we are to the opposite sex. Discrediting this myth and enlightening women to the fact that their character, intellect, creativity and actions are worthy of respect of course is a feminist agenda and clearly a feminist weapon used to overpower men. That is why fearful men believe that all feminist are unattractive butch lesbians that don’t shave their pits.

OMG, I don’t shave my pits. I must be a feminist!
Hey, we could destroy Jeff Foxworthy with our own spin-off “you know you’re a feminist if_______â€
So true. If you watch how parents and adults interact with children it's revealing. With boys adults tend to focus on what the boy can do and what he can accomplish. With girls, there is much greater emphasis on the girl's looks, and her desires. "Oh, what a pretty girl you are". The indoctrination begins early in life, and it's not intentional, but it is a pattern.

I have only one child, a girl. I made certain I focused on her abilities to do things; 'yes, you can calculate complex math problems; yes, get your boots in the mud, don't worry about it, we can always clean up. Simple things, but by the time she was a young teen-ager she had no desire to wear those tee-shirts with sayings that degraded girls that so many young teen girls wore. While she is strikingly pretty, she focused on her abilities and accomplishments, because I raised her to stand on her own two feet and to not expect a man to support her as she has her own brain and can do it herself.

Old 03-12-2011, 09:51 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,247,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Booya View Post
Interesting. You believe that women should surround themselves with people, including harsh feminists because they need someone to "stick up for them" I don't think just because a woman is sweet that she can't stick up for herself.

I know a lot of sweet popular females who also can stick up for themselves just fine.
I don't think most healthy people want to be around harsh people male or female. Just my opinion. I know I don't.
Being an independent, self-sufficient woman does not necessarily mean they are also harsh.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:07 AM

11,944 posts, read 14,780,145 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
Sorry...as a woman, I will have to confirm and agree with this. I HATE this about talking with other women. I don't want to have a circular conversation about nothing just to vent. It's boring and it's irritating.

I don't like chick flicks.
Ditto. I have little patience for that kind of venting but it's not unique to females. I've had males pull the same nonsense on me (otj) and often I just look at it as emotional manipulation. Theory- they're struggling to articulate their chief complaints. My attitude is basically- 'Are we going to fix it or are we going to whine?'. They appear to take offense that I interfered with their process trying to figure out their own problems with the sounding board of a confidant.

I've always gotten along better with males than females but how anyone could make that out to be an abandonment of feminine is bizarre to me. It's not possible for me to be anything but female and the real complaint has more to do with nutter expectations/ Jessica Rabbit fantasies. I don't need goop to validate myself but at the same time it doesn't make me allergic to an evening gown. Every wrinkle on my face is a merit badge. I earned it, no plastic surgery necessary. They'll either appreciate my character or move along chasing after shiny things with the Joneses.

As for chick flicks you & moose might like an Ethan Hawke/ Julie Delpy film "Before Sunrise". Thought provoking but not at all maudlin. I loathe the womens channel/ romance novel martyr stories. I hope girls today aspire for something more than being a martyr.

Old 03-12-2011, 10:07 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Lorena Bobbit? The hero of the feminists? Wonder why.

Now a normal woman being cheated on would have just packed his bags and thrown them out the door.

Would you admire a man who carved out the vagina or cut off the breasts of a cheating spouse? So much for that part about feminists being against domestic violence. Apparently it's great when a feminist is mutilating a man.
Where did you get the idea that Lorena Bobbit is the "hero" of feminists?? Probably the same place you got the idea that Gloria Steinem had a job as a Playboy Bunny because she needed the work, then quit and wrote articles about how the Playboy businesses treated its female staff members.......or "waitresses".... If you didn't know that Steinem was a writer and that she managed to get that Bunny job for the purposes of basically investigative journalism, seems very possible that you have no clue what feminism is or what it's really all about. Hint: it's not about who opens doors and "chick flicks".

Old 03-12-2011, 10:11 AM

1,869 posts, read 1,092,807 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Feminists are the result of eather defective genes or early childhood trama. The same way we get mass murderers and other sociopaths.

ahhhh, Neanderthal man still alive and well.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies