Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 12-11-2012, 02:00 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,464,288 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So, you think that it is practical for a company to have 10,000 bargaining units? In reality, the company as no reason to negotiate with one lowly employee. If you don't like their offer, they'll tell you that you can quit. It's quite different when the union is negotiating for all employees. Unions equalize the otherwise power differential that the company has.
Come on..happens all the time in corporate America. And they don't all happen at once on a single day nor do they all go to a single person.

Get a reality grip here MTAtech. Have you never held a non union job ?
In high tech if you don't like what they offer they know you'll just go to the competitor.
And they do pay sweetly to keep their high skilled people.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:02 PM

40,952 posts, read 49,176,191 times
Quote:
Unions equalize the otherwise power differential that the company has.
Yeah.. look how well this has worked out in the northeast. Detroits a booming properous city.

Old 12-11-2012, 02:35 PM

89,002 posts, read 44,804,275 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rakin View Post
Yeah.. look how well this has worked out in the northeast. Detroits a booming properous city.
Not to mention our public school systems. How are those teacher unions working out?

Not so well ...
Quote:
By eighth grade, American students have fallen behind their Russian, Japanese and Taiwanese counterparts in math, and trail students from Hong Kong, Slovenia and South Korea in science." ...A nation that once took pride in being at the top of its game can no longer credibly call itself the global leader in student performance. Wringing their hands about what that reality portends for broader U.S. influence, policymakers worry it could have ripple effects on the economy down the line, with Americans increasingly at a competitive disadvantage in the international marketplace.
Study: US students still lag behind peers in Asia, Europe

Old 12-11-2012, 03:30 PM

13,887 posts, read 13,668,392 times
Quote:
The union provides a service, it negotiates contracts for its members and fights for them when there is a dispute. Do you work for free? Why should the union?
I'm perfectly capable of negotiating for myself. I realize union members aren't bright enough to do that, though. Sucks to be them.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:43 PM

24,404 posts, read 23,056,554 times
And were sold out by the left. Serves them right.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:48 PM

7,480 posts, read 6,257,558 times
stand up for their rights

What rights will they lose?

Old 12-11-2012, 03:50 PM

2,238 posts, read 1,443,474 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
I'm perfectly capable of negotiating for myself. I realize union members aren't bright enough to do that, though. Sucks to be them.

so you mean to tell me your smart enough and rich enough to negotiate with a corporation ? Just you no one else yeah I don't care how good you are unless your an illusionist no way you can bargain.

Old 12-11-2012, 03:58 PM

25,386 posts, read 35,533,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dale Cooper View Post
That's great if you're in a competitive industry. I'm not. Teachers, police and firemen, to name a few, are in non competitive jobs. Not only do districts NOT recruit top teachers from other districts, there's an unwritten rule that says they don't. One of the first questions on an application is "Are you contracted to another district?". If I answer yes, my resume is dumped.

Negotiating your salary only works if you have leverage. Without compeition, you have none. When I was an engineer, I didn't need a union because I was in a competitive industry. My employer knew their choices were take care of me or lose me. As a teacher, I don't have that luxury. You see the incentive for teachers is not to pay to put the best teacher in the classroom, but rather, to put the cheapest teacher in the classroom who can do the job to save money. So yes, I need a union standing behind me.

Old 12-11-2012, 04:04 PM

3,620 posts, read 3,835,279 times
all they need is a federal judge to strike it down like they did with wisconsin voter id

Old 12-11-2012, 04:05 PM

33,942 posts, read 22,520,724 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ivorytickler View Post
That's great if you're in a competitive industry. I'm not. Teachers, police and firemen, to name a few, are in non competitive jobs. Not only do districts NOT recruit top teachers from other districts, there's an unwritten rule that says they don't. One of the first questions on an application is "Are you contracted to another district?". If I answer yes, my resume is dumped.

Negotiating your salary only works if you have leverage. Without compeition, you have none. When I was an engineer, I didn't need a union because I was in a competitive industry. My employer knew their choices were take care of me or lose me. As a teacher, I don't have that luxury. You see the incentive for teachers is not to pay to put the best teacher in the classroom, but rather, to put the cheapest teacher in the classroom who can do the job to save money. So yes, I need a union standing behind me.
In this economy, leverage is gone for most of us in every arena. I am saddened to hear that the anti-worker legislation was pushed through in Michigan.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies