Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-09-2011, 12:58 PM

20,892 posts, read 16,070,698 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Without foundation? Really? So then why is this barbaric act practiced in predominantly Muslim countries and goes unpunished when discovered?

In National Legal Codes
Countries where the law is interpreted to allow men to kill female relatives in a premeditated effort as well as for crimes of passions, in flagrante delicto in the act of committing adultery, include: Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Pakistan, the Syrian Arab Republic, Turkey, Yemen, and other Mediterranean and Persian Gulf countries.
Curious... what makes you think this was an honor killing?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-09-2011, 12:59 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by seain dublin View Post
But they don't chop off their heads.

At least not while they're still alive.( maybe after they have to dismember a body)

And it isn't because they wore blue jeans or didn't cover their head.

This is out of the dark ages.
Frankly, as a woman, the manner of death really is irrelevant. The fact that women are murdered by men who purportedly love them is the salient fact. And the statistics don't lie. The leading cause of death in pregnant women, homicide. And those homicides are predominantly committed by husbands or boyfriends. The reasons why women don't report rape. Because women are more likely to be assaulted and raped by a man she knows than by a stranger. Murder by one's husband, boyfriend, assault by one's husband or boyfriend, rape by one's husband or boyfriend, is almost always about issues of control. Whatever the religion practiced by the respective parties.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:00 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Frankly, as a woman, the manner of death really is irrelevant. The fact that women are murdered by men who purportedly love them is the salient fact. And the statistics don't lie. The leading cause of death in pregnant women, homicide. And those homicides are predominantly committed by husbands or boyfriends. The reasons why women don't report rape. Because women are more likely to be assaulted and raped by a man she knows than by a stranger. Murder by one's husband, boyfriend, assault by one's husband or boyfriend, rape by one's husband or boyfriend, is almost always about issues of control. Whatever the religion practiced by the respective parties.

excellent post.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:02 PM

6,484 posts, read 6,614,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bc42gb43 View Post
There are several quotes from Bush saying that he invaded Iraq because he felt God told him to, or that it was God's will.
Give me one please. Not a quote from a guy that says he heard Bush say it...but one from Bush himself. Betcha can't.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:03 PM

19,784 posts, read 15,104,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chucksnee View Post
No, but does every other religon go around saying.....we are a religon of "Peace."......

Pretty much. How many declare otherwise?

Old 03-09-2011, 01:03 PM

42,732 posts, read 29,861,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post
Without foundation? Really? So then why is this barbaric act practiced in predominantly Muslim countries and goes unpunished when discovered?

In National Legal Codes
Countries where the law is interpreted to allow men to kill female relatives in a premeditated effort as well as for crimes of passions, in flagrante delicto in the act of committing adultery, include: Egypt, Jordan, Lebanon, Morocco, Pakistan, the Syrian Arab Republic, Turkey, Yemen, and other Mediterranean and Persian Gulf countries.
Violence against women is not so much a religious issue as it is a cultural issue. And it's not like Western countries are shining beacons of enlightenment. France, Germany, the United States, have histories of tolerating violence against women, and those histories aren't ancient by any means. Most laws protecting women didn't get passed until the last half of the 20th century. And we now think the rest of the world should be on the same page? That's an imperialist attitude, not surprising coming from a Frenchman.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:11 PM

37,121 posts, read 42,189,292 times
This all sounds about right to me....a guy kills his wife and get the maximum sentence allowed.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:22 PM

15,080 posts, read 20,465,757 times
I don't post in the True Crime subforum often but another example of crime doesn't pay.

[usually]

Old 03-09-2011, 01:34 PM

1,777 posts, read 1,402,388 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Give me one please. Not a quote from a guy that says he heard Bush say it...but one from Bush himself. Betcha can't.

Bush said this to Bob Woodward:
Quote:
"I was praying for strength to do the Lord's will."I'm surely not going to justify war based upon God. Understand that. Nevertheless, in my case, I pray that I will be as good a messenger of His will as possible. And then of course, I pray for forgiveness."

Do you think that the Palestinian foreign minister and Jacques Chirac were lying? On what basis? Are you only going to accept what Bush said in a speech? Do you think that if he didn't say it in a public speech that it's not something he said or believed?

Anyway, this thread is about one guy who killed his wife and will likely spend the rest of his life in prison for it.

Old 03-09-2011, 01:45 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,201,636 times
The man claimed his wife was extremely abusive to him. Could be he just reached his breaking point and one day decided he had had enough. Not saying this is any excuse to chop her head off--only that perhaps there was enough evidence to substantiate that claim that this could be the reason the DA went for second degree murder and not first. I doubt this crime had anything directly to do with their religion.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies